Recommendations on ATV batteries

• Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

About to lose my freaking mind on atv batteries.
    I get MANY years out of truck and marine batteries. But every atv and garden tractor battery has been a major turd. It doesn’t help that they make the compartments so dam small that options get very limited.
    Anyways, need to buy one today.
    But, which will last more than a year?

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Randy- I’ve had much better luck with the more expensive gel batteries and using a battery tender to keep them topped off. 4-5 years isn’t an issue with the last few I’ve had, but I don’t have access right now to give you a make and model #.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I’d go to Batteries Plus and get an AGM battery (gel). They will help you find the right one. Setter is on the right track….. use a batter tender jr every once in awhile to keep them good.

JoeMX1825
    MN

no better advice than what was given (Gel + Tender)

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve had great luck with Yuasa’s in my quads. That being said I have also found that any battery lasts a long time in my summer use only quads. Several years. At least in my Kawi’s.
    My winter plow quad seems to blow through one about every year. I even keep a spare ready to go.
    I top off with battery tender about every weekend. I’ve come to the conclusion the cold kills these smaller batts.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yup mine also needs to be replaced. This last cold killed it. Thankfully my ice rig has a pull start

Henpecked

I have a four year old AGM battery in one ATV and a regular lead acid garden tractor battery in the lawn mower. Both are four years old and work fine. It seems to me that the trickle charge is the more important factor. I just have one of those small solar trickle chargers hooked to each one. The other ATV has a one year old AGM with no trickle attached and it will not start in temps below 15 degrees until I boost it. My observations anyway.

404 ERROR
    MN

Yuasa and Odyssey. Whichever you feel is within your price range and as long as it’s an AGM.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

X2 on the trickle chargers. Not a solar one, but Harbor Fright ads periodically put electric ones on sale cheap.

Been using them a few years on the lawn tractor and snowmobile none agm batteries with no issues. Have never changed the lawn tractor battery in the five years I have owned.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I would recommend the Battery Tender Jr model, it comes with the quick connect SAE dongle that you leave connected to the battery at all times. Just plug-in and charge

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Yuasa and Odyssey. Whichever you feel is within your price range and as long as it’s an AGM.

I’d 1000x agree to Yuasa. My 2009 Honda came with that battery and it lasted 10 years (just replaced it). And there were times when it sat for over 3 months and always started, even in cold weather…never once saw a battery tender or charger.

That said, I ordered a battery from Renegade batteries as I didn’t know the exact battery until I pulled it…I’m hoping its good…

https://www.renegadebattery.com/Products-ATV_Utility_Vehicles.html

r55945

In last couple weeks 2 Harbor Freight chargers have failed; wiring melted, shorted out. Could be super cold weather. Have replaced with cheap Amazon ($2 off coupon) for same price as HF chargers. Seem to be better, at least they have a smiley face led. 2014 Kawi Mule, plow snow, use all year a lot. Original Yuasa battery that I keep on a float charger when not in use. The fried wiring did not ruin the battery, cannot say enough about Yuasa batteries.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Was thinking about the use of tenders last night.
    Are you guys using them because your machine sits unused for weeks or more at a time? Ours is daily farm use. Obviously some days much more than others. At minimal it’s about 20 to 30 minutes a day and as much as 8 + hours of run time. Additionally, we run a lot of devises on the 12v system. Winch, inverter, led flood lights, sprayers,…
    Maybe I really need a two battery sytem??

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Randy,
    I use them when the machine sits for extended periods. During the summer the lawn tractor does not have one connected. Only do that when it is put away for the winter.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

I run a set of Heat Demon hand and thumb warmers and a plow during the winter and I always plug mine in to my Jr. tender, even if its just over night. It gets used just about every weekend, but not during the week since it sits in the garage at the cabin. I see it as keeping the “health” of the battery in good condition. It’s not failed me yet and going on three years on the stock battery. Been through some really cold conditions, as well.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

My ATV doesn’t get use as much as some, but I do use it quite often. I keep it plugged into the Jr tender all the time. When I get done plowing, I’m sure the battery has been drained by the winch. Plug it in and it’s topped off in a few hours.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

If your not draining your battery through accessories, an AGM battery can hold its charge for over a year. For normal use, there is no point for a battery tender on AGM batteries.

Sounds like you use the snot out of your battery. Personally, I’d charge it up over night, and once charged, leave it alone (granted you have an AGM battery).

Some ATV’s also drain battery while sitting. How are your accessories tied to the ATV? Are they powered through the key or straight to the battery?

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Wow. Timely topic. Went to the farm yesterday and ATV battery was stone dead. Neither the charger nor the jump pack would revive it. Charger would run for 15 minutes and say it was charged, but crank the ATV and the battery would die almost instantly.

Questions:

Where are you guys getting Yuasa and Odyssey? Buying online?

I can’t use a battery tender because there is no power in my storage shed. So next question is given that fact alone is going to be a big limiter on battery life, is it worth going to a gel? Or just keep getting the el cheapo batteries and replace every 3 years like I do now?

Grouse

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The major accessories are wired direct. The 12v port from the factory is too wimpy. I wired power ports with much heavier wire. Yes, I do on rare occasions drain it down and have put it on a trickle charge over night.

404 ERROR
    MN

Where are you guys getting Yuasa and Odyssey? Buying online?

Full Service Battery in Farmington can order you whichever you like. Summit racing also sells Odyssey.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

I own 3 Atv and was buying batteries at least every other year. I have now switched to a gel battery from Batteries plus with a tender on each one and I am on 3rd year with no signs of them going out. My atv dealer said the new atv’s have computerized displays etc and do a small battery draw even with machine off he said either disconnect battery after each use or go gell cell with battery tender. Mine sit for sometimes a month between starts so that was enough to destroy the lead acid batteries on a yearly basis not to mention it wouldn’t start after a month.

Mwal

oldbear
    State Center, Iowa

I just found an old receipt for my 6 yr. old Interstate agm battery. Was $110 then so it looks like I’m about due.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.