Recent update

• Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

30+ trucks at north garrison access, all houses 200 yards from shore, towards garrison a dozen houses out on the first break. One brave soul off pike point. With my daughter so will wait to see what the wind does over the next few days. Will give an update.

Bob Ford

Shoreline is still intact from seguchie point to garrison. The open water crack we all saw is now 1.5″ in that area

blank

These satellite images were taken on 12/24/2020. A large open water spot out of Malmo. You can see the smaller, scattered open areas, or now thin ice spots out from Red Door too. Be careful out there.

Sorry, I don’t have anything recent for the west side of the lake.

Don’t ask where I got the images from….

Attachments:
    1. Malmo-Ice.jpg

2. Reddoor-ice.jpg

3. ML-Ice.jpg

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ah, where did you get the images? You with the CIA, KGB,MI6? shock

blank

Ah, where did you get the images? You with the CIA, KGB,MI6? shock

Luckily for you, I don’t see any winter images that cover the Outing area. Otherwise I’d be snooping around for tracks to find your crappie honey hole.

bigpike

Nice report. Hey btw – were are those images from? Asking for a friend

Bob Ford

Last Sunday I was out on the west side and on 7″ of ice that was open on the 22nd. I was a mile out and over the first break. 2 snowmobiles drove past and continued on until I lost sight of them towards the mud. I’m thinking the “mud traffic” will be starting very soon.

gonefishin

Status from East Side. Folks are driving out with trucks to about the first breaks. Appledorn’s had a bunch out to Doe Island. I fished in Sunset Bay at sundown for a couple of hours last evening and did not mark a fish. Tonight also fished for a few hours but this time to the north of Big Point. Again did not mark a fish. Not even a perch. Solid 12″ of ice any place I drilled. About 4-6″ snow so can go anyplace with an ATV. No real drifts to worry about.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Fished the East Side / Big Point area Saturday. Beautiful, frosty weekend. Nice there was little to no wind. We found our fish in about 13-17 FOW. Short bite window for us. From the time the sun hit the horizon till dark, we iced 9 eyes between 2 guys. Nothing in the keeper slot size.

We were out close to the first pressure ridge. Some spots only 5-6 inches of ice. Snowmobile/ATV good to go. Would not catch me driving a truck out there yet.

-J.

Attachments:
    1. 86D9E9DE-FE6E-4965-98B2-B87B9E23FA55.jpeg

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Went out of the north end this weekend and measured 7-8″ of ice. Fished in 23-25 FOW and did ok. The bite was slow for most of the day but really turned on around sunset for a quick flurry of activity. Biggest fish was 20-1/2″ just shy of the slot. Most seemed to be 17-19″ with a few smaller ones mixed in. Absolutely gorgeous sunrises/sunsets as the fog burned off the ice and they trees along shore were covered in frost/snow.

It was a jigging rap bite Friday and Saturday but by Sunday they seemed to want set lines or smaller spoons.

Steven M. Vaerst

I went out of Red Door on Monday north end. Made it out a ways with the ATV and fished until 5:30. Started at 10:30 and didn’t have a hit until 1. Managed 4 fish total: 13″, 14″, 24″ and 18″

Marked lots of fish through the day, but they’d come up take a look and then back down. 3 of the 4 fish hit the dead stick minnow…just a fathead on a red hook.

Ice was decent throughout the area I was in… 10″ to 12″ of good solid ice.

For the number of fish that came on the vex, I was hoping for more hits… They just were not all that hungry. Tiny little flurry between 4 and 5, but nothing to write home about…

maybe get another trip up next week…

Jim

Planning to fish Monday afternoon(1/11) by foot. Can you get to 20’ from the Malmo public access? Wondering if there is an active crack or thin ice where a crack is healing.

Ripjiggen

I wouldn’t worry about thin ice anywhere if you are only walking. I honestly would look to areas further south that you can drive a vehicle out to some structure and walk around from there off the road.

Jim

Thank you. Driving out would be great but I have a full-size SUV and I’m not aware of any accesses allowing them.

Ripjiggen

Rocky reef. Randy’s and several in the south bays. Call ahead of time for latest conditions. You are correct that nobody on the upper half of the lake are currently allowing trucks.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We camped out all weekend. Fish were very active from Friday to Sunday morning.
    Sunday we woke up with 2 rattle reels and then it got real quiet. We packed up near 330 4 ish with only 2 more fish on the day. Let alone we were just relaxing and enjoying time in the firebrand

Bob Ford

Had 13 inches under our house this last weekend on the mud. Lots of ice breaks and cracks, skipped a few spots with 24″ wide of open water cracks to get out. A few spots still at 9″. Fishing was decent with a few every night. Lots of slots. Guessing we have 1 more weekend with the temps forecasted before the wheel house army. Stay safe.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.