Ranger 6×6?

• Whateverbites

I’ve been looking at some used UTV’s. I tend to be a bit different and find myself drawn to the 6×6’s polaris use to make. I’ve heard mixed reviews on how they go through snow on ice. I would love to hear feedback from those who have used them for ice fishing. I know tracks would be better, but that is in the someday category.

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

They are like a little tank. Ive 1300 miles on mine and it hasn’t left the farm. Took a bobcat bucket full rock to a steep grade and handled it fine. I’ve also hauled three deer and 3 passengers out of the valley. Unfortunately they are heavy at about 1500 lbs. Definitely not an early ice tool. By the time they are ice safe , its not long for vehicles. It can go thru alot of snow with momentum. We will run our setter most of the winter only occasionally needing a snowmobile track. in 5 years I’ve had to replace a fuel pump, wiring harness, and battery. 3 gear cases and a transmission to maintain a project. It has used some oil since day one.

Whateverbites

Good call on the wieght. It looks like it is almost 800 lbs more than the 570 full size I have now. I have a 3/4 ton truck that I don’t ever plan on driving out, so the ranger will be all season once we have safe ice.

Ripjiggen

Don’t own one but I don’t see a benefit to six tires vs 4 except for maybe a slightly larger bed.
    Cons
    Slower
    Heavier
    Less agile
    More maintenance
    Larger trailer
    And guessing when you get stuck you will be really stuck.

Whateverbites

All good points, the trailer i have can handle it fine. The ability to tow around my Lund would be nice, but the extra wieght and maintenance are concerns

LabDaddy1

And guessing when you get stuck you will be really stuck.

This would probably be my biggest concern depending on where, when and how you, personally, fish/navigate. There’s really something to be said for the maneuverability and light weight of the old “sub-500” wheelers, IMO, especially when out there alone.

Whateverbites

that is a good point, I have a basic 570 right now that I haven’t tried in snow yet, that will probably be a lot easier to push out of spots, I had an old Honda 300 TRX, that was very easy to get unstuck

Coletrain27

You would be surprised how heavy even a 570 is when stuck. One person isn’t gonna be pushing it around alone especially when buried in snow.

I would suggest a winch and Take a 4’ piece of 4×4 lumber with you so when you get stuck you can drill a hole in the ice and use the wood for a anchor point with your winch or they make fancy anchors for ice holes also

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.