Rainy Sturgeon

• FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

This is the best video I’ve watched regarding sturgeon. Two thumbs up from me.

For those heading to the rainy, take a minute to absorb what’s said in this video.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I’ve been slacking Andy. I’ll catch this tonight.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Very good and it shows everyones “secret spot”… the church! Shhh if any one asks, I’ll deny I said that.

rschmidty

This is definitely the most educational I’ve seen.

Here are some more that are fun to watch. All can be found on Youtube.

Due North Outdoors Ep 1515
    IDO Season 9 Ep 20
    IDO Season 5 Ep 7
    Lund Ultimate Fishing Epxerience 2016 Ep 10
    Lake Commandos Season 3 Ep 13
    We Love it Outdoors Season 2 Ep 4

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I have never done this, but would like to give it a shot. My folks live in Bemidji so its a couple of hours up to the Rainy from there. Is this an expedition that makes sense to do as a day trip or is the fishing better in the low light periods?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Looks like it’s open to 4 mile bay!

Attachments:
    1. image-2.png

rschmidty

Our group has never fished at night up there, but it’s a long way to drive to only spend a day. Time on the water is the main thing so if you can only do a day or so, definitely try to fish at night. Since the ice is out early and the other rivers have seemed to let go already, floating debris down the river shouldn’t be an issue.

BassBuster2

Just a FYI ,I had some customers in that did pretty good fishing sturgeon below the dam the past few days.
    BB2

blank

I wouldn’t advise navigating the Rainy right now during the night with all the ice that’s coming down. It was bad enough during the day this past weekend.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>FishBlood&RiverMud wrote:</div>
    It’s scary at night ;)
    And colder

Scarier than the st croix?

Like bk telling a scary story with a crow call in the background )

I kid.

Ice flow and trees are a very serious thing day or night.

rschmidty

Scarier than the st croix?

Like bk telling a scary story with a crow call in the background )

I kid.

Ice flow and trees are a very serious thing day or night.
    [/quote]

Agreed, which is why our group hasn’t bothered to mess with it at night up there. Easier to see it coming during the day. With that said, if you are going up the end of April this year or early May, you probably don’t have to worry about it as much.

rschmidty

Although, I am going up a second time at the end of April and plan to fish some at night since we are up there two less days than our earlier trip.

I’ve enjoyed watching DTRO’s videos he puts together every year and they seem to always do some night fishing and seem to do well.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I was there once. Got there just as the channel from the river into the bay was opening. Even during the day you had to keep your heads up for big sheets of ice coming down.

It was pretty cool because by the end of the 3rd day when we were leaving the bay was pretty much ice free.

joeshow

Really?!?!?!

Lake Commandos Season 3 Ep 13 is a big disappointment. They lift a big sturgeon up by the gills.

Attachments:
    1. Daily-Double.jpg

2. 60-incher-in-the-ice.jpeg

3. Davidson-64-inch-82-lbs.jpg

4. 72-inch-sturgeon.jpeg

rschmidty

Really?!?!?!

Lake Commandos Season 3 Ep 13 is a big disappointment. They lift a big sturgeon up by the gills.

I didn’t say it was educational, just throwing out other episodes people might enjoy watching. I can’t digest enough videos of people catching sturgeon. Seeing them grabbed by the gills grates on me more than anything.

Great pics! I think I remember seeing that pic of the 72 incher last year on clementson’s resort website or star trib?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The underlying reason for this thread was save handling, appropriate gear, and not harvesting just because we can.

I haven’t seen that type of backbone in any other sturgeon video I’ve watched. Most make me cringe from one aspect or another.

Have fun guys/gals. Release em, quickly

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.