Rainy River Questions

• Rick Heitke

I have a trip planned (hoped) for next summer and have many questions about travel on the Rainy River. I have a tiny camping boat/shanty boat and I’d like to start in I Falls and travel as much of the Rainy as I can. I am having a very hard time finding any info. I realize this is a fishing forum primarily and I sure do plan to do some fishing and eating -) while on the trip my questions are primarily about travel. What’s navigable (I have only about 18″ of draft so skinny water is fine)? How far can I get? Starting in I Falls I am assuming to Baudette but can I get further?
    Can I tie up on the Canadian side? All basic questions I know but where do I go for info?

dbright
    Cambridge

Depending on the weather you could have some tough travels. Even more so if you do not know the river. Heading down river from ifalls would definitely get your feet wet on the shallow end of the river. Navigating the rapids below franz if you don’t know the area can definitely be a problem. Mooring over night could definitely be a problem unless you plan on just anchoring. There is not alot of public property on the US side and beaching on the Canadian side is another set of issues you would have to figure out.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you’re going slow and carefully you should be able to make it from iFalls to Baudette, might have to wade at a couple points but generally should be fine. Once you get to Baudette the world’s your oyster, and the problem is the other side, not having enough boat for Lake of the Woods. You need a RABC permit I believe to touch Canadian soil, and generally speaking the Mounties do patrol and will ticket you if you aren’t abiding by all of their laws (no minnows for example).

Rick Heitke

Thanks much for your response and info. If I could get as far as LOW that would satisfy my itch for sure. Yes my boat is only 16ft and because of the cabin maybe a little top heavy tho it’s never been a problem.

Rick Heitke

Thanks so much for the reply and the info. Yes we will be going slowly, 5 mph or so is the sweet spot for the boat so no worries there LOL. I plan on mostly anchoring but will need to stop and moor at least once for fuel. I’ll just scratch any idea of mooring canada side. Wading would not be an issue as long as the current is manageable with the boat, it’s fairly heavy.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Thanks so much for the reply and the info. Yes we will be going slowly, 5 mph or so is the sweet spot for the boat so no worries there LOL. I plan on mostly anchoring but will need to stop and moor at least once for fuel. I’ll just scratch any idea of mooring canada side. Wading would not be an issue as long as the current is manageable with the boat, it’s fairly heavy.

Is there a spot to get fuel between I-Falls and Baudette on the river? Or are you bringing cans and would just need to stop, moor and fill the boat tank?

B-man

I think you might be in for more adventure than you bargained for.

There’s some skinny water in the river, especially in the summer.

walleyesforme

I think you might be in for more adventure than you bargained for.

There’s some skinny water in the river, especially in the summer.

Very very shallow water for long stretches from the forks down to Birchdale. Probably not the best idea from a safety standpoint. Birchdale out to Lake of the Woods is very navigable however.

Rick Heitke

I am thinking just bring a can and go to a station and fill. Maybe Birchdale, that’s real close to the river and has a nice place to beach.

ThunderLund78

Actually, once you get past Birchdale you’re pretty much home free in a small craft – just keep your eyes to both sides for the occasional deadhead. But yeah, there’s some definite skinny water from I-falls to that point. You can be underway and be on the Canadian side but you cant tie up there. Check the fishing regs, it’s been a couple of years, but you used to not even be able to anchor “on the canadian side” and fish – so stick closer to the US bank. Birchdale, Frontier and Vidas all offer camping at the landings, and I know that Frontier and Vida are free (not sure about Birchdale). But don’t expect anything more than some tent space, a picnic shelter and a vault toilet. Good luck on the big water if you venture out, keep your eye on the weather. Have fun!

Rick Heitke

That would certainly be an option. I have contacts in Birchdale to leave the truck and trailer and contacts in Warroad to bring me over to Birchdale.

Rick Heitke

OK, yes, a slight change in route but a fun little jaunt and the same general idea. Any idea on river miles from Birchdale to the lake?

B-man

OK, yes, a slight change in route but a fun little jaunt and the same general idea. Any idea on river miles from Birchdale to the lake?

Around 40 or so

walleyesforme

That would certainly be an option. I have contacts in Birchdale to leave the truck and trailer and contacts in Warroad to bring me over to Birchdale.

I’m by no means trying to discourage you but once you leave the rainy river itself and get into four mile bay and then through lighthouse gap into the lake itself it’s is huge wide open water with absolutely no place to hide. That’s a long run in a big boat from the gap to warroad. Things can go south in a hurry on that big water and if a storm or bad weather pops up and you can’t outrun it or ride it out you’ll be in a world of hurt. To each their own though, just don’t put someone else in danger if you need to be rescued for putting your self in a bad situation.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If it were me I would start at birchdale and go to the lake. End point right when you get to the lake. Lots of easy water to navigate and still a fun trip

walleyesforme

Birchdale to Wheelers Point would be an awesome adventure in a small boat. Should be great fishing for all kinds of species along the way as well. That’s what I like about river fishing, you never know what the next bite might bring. Good luck on your adventure!

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Going from lighthouse gap to warroad in a top heavy 16ft boat is not a good idea. Stick to the river.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.