Rainy River Map card

• Brad Dostal

Does the Lakemaster card for the Rainy river show the US/Canadian Border?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I assume you are asking if there is a line where the border is? I can’t answer that for sure but, I do know that the Canadian DNR doesn’t care what your chip says. If they think you are across the line you will get written up regardless of what your GPS unit says. Error on the side of caution or just spend a few bucks and buy a Canadian license of you intend to fish the river more than once.

Brad Dostal

Yeah I am just looking for a general guide so I can avoid the border as much as possible. I only fish it once a year in the spring typically.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My Humminbird chips (I don’t know the brand) do show the border.

Brad Dostal

Perfect. I will look into an Ontario license as well. Could you still get a ticket for being in Canada without going through a check point?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Not if you are fishing border water. A Canadian license allows you to be in Canadian waters, but to step on Canadian soil I think you also need a Remote Border Crossing Card or Permit. If you launch in Minnesota with a Canadian license you should be good on the river. Call Canadian Customs in Fort Francis with questions. They are great folks and will walk you through the process. You also can order everything on-line.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Brad, where are you from? If you are near me you can borrow my chip so you don’t have to buy one. Assuming it will work in your locator.

Brad Dostal

I live by Rice Lake WI. I appreciate the offer. I got a bunch of gift cards for Christmas so will likely buy one. I am always open to fishing advice for Kabetogama or the Rainy River though!!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

James has done quite a few videos on fishing the Rainy River over the years. Well worth your time to look them up on a snowy cold winter night. My advise for Kab……….be ready to be skunked or pound fish. Honestly that lake seems to change by the hour. jester

Brad Dostal

Yeah last September it was rough. The guys pulling lead core were getting fish though like you said. I just never fished leadcore before. I am using a guide again on the Rainy in April. Seems simple enough. I may take my own boat up for sturgeon later in April. Never fished for sturgeon but caught one last year fishing walleye and enjoyed it.

Brad Dostal

I have watched all the IDO Rainy shows already. Used Pulse-R Paddletails and did well last spring.

grizzly
    nebraska

when in the spring do u guys go ? I want to go up when ice comes off river in 2017 if river and weather cooperate

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Yes there is a “Rainey River / Lake of the Woods ” Lake Master card and it shows all contours and the US/Canada border.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Yes there is a “Rainey River / Lake of the Woods ” Lake Master card and it shows all contours and the US/Canada border.

Brad Dostal

Last year I went the beginning of April don’t remember the exact dates. It was extremely cold though. We were out in our ice armor. I am glad I went through a guide because it was not easy on equipment being that cold. I will be going up the same time in 2017 for Walleye. I am thinking I will go in late April for sturgeon as I believe that is when the season opens.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

You are heading up for soft water then when it is first ice out?

Brad Dostal

Yes. I haven’t ever ice fished it. The spring fishing is one of my favorite trips though. I am going to Lake of the Woods for a week this month as soon as there is enough ice for our wheelhouse. I also have a trip to Lake Winnipeg at the end of February that I am looking forward to. Never been to Winnipeg before.

grizzly
    nebraska

from what I have been reading its march when the river opens depending on the weather and the year

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.