rainy river ice out

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I saw they busted out Frontier late yesterday to. Didn’t get as cold as they called for last night. Will be interesting to see what it looks like by the end of today. Guessing there will still be tons of ice floating around the next few days.

And snow moving in later today.

B-man

I won’t be going this weekend, way too much ice.

Been there, done that, didn’t catch crap (other than ice)

grizzly
    nebraska

I won’t be going this weekend, way too much ice.

Been there, done that, didn’t catch crap (other than ice)

yep weather should help things alot this next week, im waiting

Troy bergstrom

I am going up next Saturday April 6th never been. I have a fiberglass boat, which landing is the best/deepest to launch from?

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

I am going up next Saturday April 6th never been. I have a fiberglass boat, which landing is the best/deepest to launch from?

I don’t think you’ll have a problem at any access really. However the farther west you stay the deeper the river is in general. As you go east there gets to be more shallow stretches and rocks/logs. This year I’ve seen rocks and logs I didn’t know existed. She is low.

Troy bergstrom

Thanks! I know it’s shallow east, I took my lower unit out last fall east of baudette.

Michael Best

Just saw a video of Donnie Obert and the Dutchman out at the Birchdale access busting up ice with a Sherp.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Just saw a video of Donnie Obert and the Dutchman out at the Birchdale access busting up ice with a Sherp.

I seen that. Pretty wild.

Any one up there this weekend. I’m heading up tomorrow afternoon at some point.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I would be on the way now but fighting off a cold. Hope to be heading out early tomorrow.

Looks like lots of open water at Birchdale thos morning.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Feel better quick Mike. We will see you up there !!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Looks like we planned the trip out perfectly for good weather

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Feeling much better this morning. Out of here in about 10 minutes.

Michael Best

Good luck! Yes it does. Over night lows look to be above freezing by the end of the weekend.

I have 3 days of work in SD and will be heading up Thursday morning.
    If anyone from IDO wants to head up there and want to fish together get a hold of me.

grizzly
    nebraska

looks like a great day up there today and only getting better. any report on river opening and a fishing report. thanks in advance guys

GB
    Baudette, MN

As of 5pm this evening, the river was open to frontier, still some shore ice there and larger chunks floating around. Birchdale was wide open, 40+ trailers there.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Fished about 5 hours this afternoon out of Birchdale. Wow is the water low. Caught 32 walleyes and missed many more. Lots of males with a good mix of females. Pitched 1/4 ounce jigs to the schools of fish. Catch a few and move on.

Did I mention the water is low. Hate to say but there is going to be some boat damage this year. Plenty of dead heads just breaking the surface. Rock and gravel bars look to be very close to the surface to. Be careful out there guys .

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We are just about to hit the road. Where did you end up staying Mike?

parker brown

Will be heading up this weekend for the first time fishing the Rainy River in the spring. Most of my experience up there has been fishing for sturgeon during the summer months. What should I be looking for? Should I launch out of Baudette or up more towards Hackett? any help would be greatly appreciated!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

What should I be looking for? Should I launch out of Baudette or up more towards Hackett?

Picked a good year! It doesn’t sound like the Baudette or 4 Mile Bay launches will be open anytime too soon, so you are looking east of Baudette. Vidas and Frontier hopefully will be opening soon, otherwise Birchdale or Franz Jevne (scroll down on the link to see the map with landings). Sounds like the river is WAY down this year, so I’d be looking for sand bars, trees and rocks that could take out the lower unit first and foremost. Then any of the RR staples vertical jigging, dragging jigs, anchoring on deeper holes or trolling. I like any jig color as long as it’s gold, and big minnows or plastics.

http://www.lakeofthewoodsmn.com/beautiful-rainy-river-public-access-locations/

Michael Best

The last I heard was Birchdale and Frontier were the only access’s open.
    Dutchman said frontier is very shallow right now and not a good option for bigger boats.
    Hopefully Vidas opens up in the next day or two.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you see the old monark , give me a wave.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240402_105046_Photos.jpg

Cody Meyers

We will be up there Friday through Sunday. I’ll keep my eyes peeled if you’ll still be up there.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

We will be up there Friday through Sunday. I’ll keep my eyes peeled if you’ll still be up there.

I’ll be up through Monday

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Just fished the afternoon again today and ended up with 33 walleyes today. First cast of the afternoon produced the biggest walleye at 27.5″ Little more boat traffic today. Fished near a sandbar for a half hour this afternoon and watched two boats plow into it. Good chance I’m launching at Vidas tomorrow.

Michael Best

I seen a post from First City that Vidas is open.
    However both Vidas and Frontier don’t have much for concrete in the water with the low levels.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

Anybody know if you can still get through the shallow area where the river widens part ways between Birchdale and Frontier? In a normal year a lot of that is under 5 feet.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Anybody know if you can still get through the shallow area where the river widens part ways between Birchdale and Frontier? In a normal year a lot of that is under 5 feet.

I have went from birchdale to past frontier and back today. Can get through that spot easily, but do use caution, I seen 6 ft to 3ft depending on the path. But everyone is flying through there on the Canadian side

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

How was the fishin?

grizzly
    nebraska

What ramp is safe for a 20 ft fiberglass boat

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What ramp is safe for a 20 ft fiberglass boat

Birchdale was fine. Seen big boats all day.
    Bite was good for the kid and I. Some where north of 60 fish. I went back and napped from noon to 3 because I was operating off 1 hour of sleep. Kid hit his pb on a fat 26 so he was pumped. Didn’t seen any bigger besides 2 sturgeon he caught as well

Viewing 30 posts - 61 through 90 (of 222 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.