Rain gear??

• buschman
    Pool 2

Hi guys, I am sure this has been discussed a few times.. I am looking for a light weight but good set of rain gear. I want light weight so it is packable and not take up much space. Spring/summer time use. I want this to go in my side pouch of a backpack for travel. Just seeing what you all think and have been happy with?

Thank you.

CaptainMusky

For what you are looking for Frogg Toggs sound like a good option. I dont know much else that can be packed away in a small space.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Definitely go uninsulated. Its much thinner than insulated versions and you won’t roast in a summer rain wearing it. Can always layer underneath.

I have Cabela’s Guidewear Light that I bought in March 2023. I specifically bought it because of how thin and light weight it is because I use it in humid, summer rain.

$250 for the set (150 jacket, 100 pants).

Simms and Blackfish also make good rain stuff but it might cost a little more.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bought the simms challenger suit this year non insulated. Very light and packable. And I love fished it in 3 down pours now and been very happy with it

Stanley

It’s not as easily packable as some others but I bought a simms cx rain coat at scheels a few weeks ago on sale for $125 normally $450. Could check if they have any left.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s not as easily packable as some others but I bought a simms cx rain coat at scheels a few weeks ago on sale for $125 normally $450. Could check if they have any left.

When you find deals like that, Please post the Info. here. I’ve got some great deals on things people on this site have posted about. That was a great deal

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Some of the best packable / Lightweight rain gear I’ve found is by Patagonia or Mountain Hardware. Not sure of your price point but these are a little more on the higher end. Raingear is the one piece of equipment that I’m willing to spend good money on. If it doesn’t keep you dry you might as not even purchase it.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Some of the best packable / Lightweight rain gear I’ve found is by Patagonia or Mountain Hardware. Not sure of your price point but these are a little more on the higher end. Raingear is the one piece of equipment that I’m willing to spend good money on. If it doesn’t keep you dry you might as not even purchase it.

I run marmot for my hiking gear and it’s the best rain gear for the money. Right in the park with Patagonia and mountain hardwear. But it’s not cheap

Stanley

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>

When you find deals like that, Please post the Info. here. I’ve got some great deals on things people on this site have posted about. That was a great deal

It’s showing $250 on the Scheels website and still available but it was marked down to $125 at the St. Cloud store. These are last years inventory.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s showing $250 on the Scheels website and still available but it was marked down to $125 at the St. Cloud store.

Bummer. I would have jumped on a deal like that one !

Stanley

If you’re interested or anyone else I would try calling the store and see if they still have some there. If it is still $125 I bet they would let you order one and price match if they don’t have your size there.

I bought a coat for $179 and thought that was a good price then wanted a different size. When I went to exchange it they were marked down to the $125 and they credited me the difference.

buschman
    Pool 2

Rough Budget??

Not looking to spend a ton. 60-100.00. I know frog togs are budget friendly but seeing what else is out there for comparison.

buschman
    Pool 2

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Rough Budget??

Not looking to spend a ton. 60-100.00. I know frog togs are budget friendly but seeing what else is out there for comparison.

I would pay more but would have to be worth it. I have heavy rain gear. Just need a light set that I will only use a few times a year.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I also have a set of the Simms Challenger jacket/bibs. Nice, lightweight gear that works! However, It takes up about 1/3 of a standard backpack and no way will fit into a backpack pocket. Agree on the Frog Toggs for this one. Light and packs small.

-J.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

I use blackfish and I like it; uninsulated for my rain gear. Can always layer underneath if needed.

Packable- whatever you go with, I found these cool little “compression sacks” on Amazon for packing in luggage. I use one of those for my rain coat and bibs, packs them down real nice and I just keep them in the truck.

Charles

I have the Scheels rain gear it was one of the budgeted options I found. I love them so far I love them.

empty_stringer
    Wahkon, Mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Stanley wrote:</div>
    It’s showing $250 on the Scheels website and still available but it was marked down to $125 at the St. Cloud store.

Bummer. I would have jumped on a deal like that one !

I just stopped by on lunch break, picked up the last jacket for $125.00

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Helly Hansen also makes some great lightweight and packable rainwear. I’ve had a set for 10 years and its never let me down when I needed it.

bigcrappie
    Blaine
    Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>tswoboda wrote:</div>
    Rough Budget??

Columbia. You can get their pants for $50 and a good jacket for about the same. Super light and packable. Best deal out there IMHO.

tim hurley

Light and packable is great, they should breath too. Is Gor-Tex still the gold standard for this stuff? Is the ‘Bear-Tex’ pretty much the same?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Light and packable is great, they should breath too. Is Gor-Tex still the gold standard for this stuff? Is the ‘Bear-Tex’ pretty much the same?

Same thing they just use there name instead or gore

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Doesn’t say breathable anywhere in the description? Are you sure its like GoreTex?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Doesn’t say breathable anywhere in the description? Are you sure its like GoreTex?

Whoops, I read it wrong. Don’t take my word for it. I guess my reading compression did me wrong.

zooks

At this range Frogg Toggs are probably your best bet, maybe Columbia stuff if you can find it on sale. Otherwise start digging at your closest Sierra or Marshall’s, never know when you’ll find a $300 jacket for 50 bucks. Good luck with what you decide.

jwellsy

I’ve had excellent customer service from Columbia. I had one jacket that the lining fell apart in the washing machine and they replaced it no problem. My Columbia rain jacket just lost it’s water repellency last week, so I’ll be sending it in here before too long.

tim hurley

I need a jacket too, want one that is breathable and won’t feel clamy after an hour. Hate to repeat the question but it got lost in the shuffle with ‘Bear Tex’. I know we have some Gore-Tex wearers out there, should I be looking for that or is their a knock off that is just as good or even better? Thanks

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.