Quik Snaps or tie jig direct to line?

• King Dinger
    Mn

Hey guys and gals do you tie on a quik snap to your line to quickly change jigs ice fishing or do you tie directly to your line? I like the fact of changing fast with the snaps but wondering if it changes the action on the jigs or if tying direct would be a better route.

JoeMX1825
    MN

direct knot is the best for action, but i’m lazy and like to change lures often so I use a quick snap most of the time…

Walleye Hungry

i use a standard swivel and usually a 3 foot leader of normal line to eliminate line twist…that being said, that is the only thing i ever use hardware-wise on my poles. Long story short…directly to the line and never would consider anything else. just my opinion

I always tie jigs and snap spoons.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Tie to line no quick snap.

maddogg

Panfish > tie to the lure
    Gamefish > tie to a snap

begforeyes

Are there any specific brands of snaps or swivels anyone likes above others? I sometimes struggle with my sausage fingers in tying or getting the snaps into the eye of a jig, especially when cold.

I prefer to tie directly to the lure, but I am with JoeMX1825 and am lazy as I like to switch things up quite often so I really like the snaps!!

Duke M

I rig up using both methods. Jigs that I want to control their angle get tied snugly with a palomar knot. Lures that can hand free, or worse, would potentially cut a knot get the quick clip. When using a clip, observe the lure in the hole jigging it a couple of times. If it rotates try reversing the clip, some times it changes the angle ever so slightly and changes the action.

Duke

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I never tie directly to a split ring, especially with light line. The knot doesn’t seem as strong, so I always use snaps with spoons.

With jigs, hooks, and Jigging Raps, I tie direct to the lure.

Ryan Wilson

I use size 10 35lb Spro Power Swivels. Super tiny and very strong. Casts through guides too but I don’t like to do that. Kind of expensive but very low profile and well manufactured. They come in 10 packs or bulk packs of 50 I believe.

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Panfish > tie to the lure
    Gamefish > tie to a snap

This is pretty much what I follow as well. In my younger and lazier years I used to tie to a snap for everything. I have noticed an increase in the number of panfish I catch the last few years now that I tie directly.

curleytail

I tie everything direct. I suppose I’m lucky to have thinner fingers than some and decent dexterity so I don’t mind knots.

I almost exclusively use horizontal jigs for panfish so a direct tie is required there. Some walleye spoons probably work just fine and are probably just as productive with a small snap though.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Any jig that is designed to be fished vertically like the VMC Waxie Jig I will generally use a snap and any jig that is designed to be fished horizontally like the VMC Tungsten Ice Fly I will tie direct with an improved clinch knot…

Having a couple rods set up like this has definitely increased my catch !!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.