Quick tip for anybody replacing the fuel filter in their Yamaha

• JoeMX1825
    MN

Just a heads up, I replaced the fuel filter in my Yamaha F150 motor yesterday, but not before struggling with unscrewing the plastic bowl from the metal cap. I googled this issue and found several posts from owners with the same problem and somebody posted a trick to put the fuel bowl and cap in the freezer for 30 minutes and then try unscrewing it again…I did that and poof it worked!

I guess over some time the gas can cause the plastic to expand just a bit causing it to be near impossible to unscrew it off, lots of horror stories of users trying to use pliers to get it off and breaking the plastic bowl.

Just thought I’d share the trick as it worked great for me!

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

Such a pain in the A**! I did the same thing this spring on my F150. I put it in the freezer for 12 hours and didn’t do it for me. What ended up working was taking canned air (aerosol), flipping upside down and freezing the fuel filter. Came off very easy after that. A word of caution, the plastic bowl isn’t cheap so don’t break it!

The ethanol in the gas swells the plastic, and I hadn’t changed it since I bought the new to me boat…who knows when the last time it was changed!

cannoncocker
    Eastern Tennessee

Max Pro Freeze Spray, $10-$12 a can from a good auto parts store, is made for this purpose.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.