Questions on buying a used walleye fishing boat

• boos1906

Hey guys I am starting to do sme research on used fishing boats. It would be used for walleye fishing,. Have a budget of around 40,000. I probably won’t find a used fiberglass boat with low hours for that will I? I was thinking maybe a ranger angler. If i go with a 20 ft boat in general am I going to be under powered with a 200 horse motor? What do you have and like?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I think you’ll find prices for glass and aluminum at 20’ are pretty similar right now. What does low hours mean? Well maintained and 500 hours or a couple years old and a 100 hours?

You just gotta do a ton of research and watching for the boat you want and be ready to buy when one comes available.

Figure out what’s important to you, narrow down to a couple models, and move quickly.

Tough to answer the HP question without knowing the boat model. 200HP for a glass boat is probably a bit light for a 20’.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Save some more and buy a warrior. I don’t know anyone who has bought a warrior then didn’t like it and switched to a different boat. Only time they’re being sold is to buy a brand new one!

Ripjiggen

I did and don’t regret it one bit. Just my opinion. 200 on a 20 ft glass is under power aluminum maybe not. Don’t know any manufacture that is putting a 200hp on a a 20 ft boat in last ten years. For 40k you can find a a nice used boat in many options.
    Low hours is in the eye of the beholder. Ask a hardcore fisherman out on the coast what low hours are compare to someone in the Midwest. 1000’s vs a couple hundred. If it is a well maintained then hours are not as important except for retail. PM me and I may have the perfect boat for ya.

carver
    West Metro

I just turned over 1000 hours on my 2013 yami 300.

Some people think 500 hours is high.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

If you are set on a 20 footer and $40k, you will be looking at a somewhat older boat (ballpark like 5 years +). When you get to that age it’s more about what shape the boat is in, and how the previous owner kept it. If you are open to an 18 footer then you will be much closer to new. Ideally you want max HP for the boat, or close to it, unless you don’t plan on ever pulling a tuber, skiier or fishing with a full boat then you can get away with an underpowered boat.

Joe

I have a 200hp yamaha on my 205 alumacraft competitor. I’ve never felt it was underpowered, gets on plane quick and does 48-50 fully loaded. I think most 20′ aluminum boats would be ok with 200hp, but I would want more on a 20′ fiberglass boat

boos1906

I’m just starting to do some research. Probably be at least next fall/winter before I pull the trigger. I am not set on 20 ft. I do fish the large Missouri River reservoirs in South Dakota. They can get pretty nasty wind wise. I was just thinking the added length would be nice for that especially if we go aluminum. I have a 1850 crestliner right now and it sucks big time. Not getting any younger and tired of getting beat to death.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.