Question on Marcum LX7 charger

• DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased the LX7, after buying an FLX28 and returning it. I’m not here to bash or gloat or say which one is better. All I will say in this post is that I wasn’t impressed with the FLX28.

Anyway: I’m curious about this charger, the manual says the light will turn from red to green when fully charged. Brand new out of the box it’s on the charger, light was solid red for about 2.5 hours. Now in the last hour it has started flashing from red to green but it’s on red for about 2 seconds and green for 1 second. Has not went to solid green, which is what I expect but maybe I’m wrong. Multimeter says 13.2 volts when disconnected from charger. Is this normal, is it fully charged, is it maintaining, what’s it doing?

Kent Tau

Out of the box and when plug to an outlet it should be solid green then Red. Turns solid green when at full charged.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What didn’t you like about the FLX28?

olso2063
    NULL

I believe the manual claims that the battery can take up
    to 20 hours to charge fully.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

The only time my LX7 charger light turns green is when plugged in to the wall without any battery connected. After using for 2+ seasons it never did turn green while connected to a battery even after battery was replaced. I have heard the same charger complaints from a number of other folks and it does not seem to be a problem that affects the use of the unit. My LX7 works as advertised and am very happy with it.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

You can also check the voltage with the LX-7 connected and turned on, it will display on the screen. As others have stated, don’t worry about the light, just plug it in after every use over night and you will be good to go.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

When I bought an LX6 last year, my charger never turned green even after being plugged in for more than 24hrs while connected to the battery. I emailed Marcum and they said that the LED may never turn green but it would still charge and work fine.

I’ve never had an issue, just accepted the fact that the LED wont turn green when connected to the battery. The LX6 has never died on me on the ice so everything must be working fine

Todd Henneberg
    Boyd, MN

I wouldn’t worry about the LED as long as the battery is charging. I charge mine once it’s below 12v on my LX7 screen. charge it over night and sometimes it will turn green and others stay red. Turn on the unit and says it’s about 13v.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

Woke up this morning and the light was solid green. I did read that it can take up to 20 hours, just didn’t see anything about the flashing lights. I’m going to assume the flashing lights is the second stage of the 3 stage charger where it tapers off to 10%. I think I’ll be very happy with this unit. Thanks for the replies!

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

What didn’t you like about the FLX28?

1) the noise, louder than my FL20. 2) Delay in reading bottom; it takes about 5-10 seconds after putting the ducer in the hole. 3) Adjusting gain adjusts the cone angle 4) White color palette is too bright, turning it off leaves you with a 3 color flasher same as before so I ultimately decided I didn’t need a $600+ flasher that is more or less the same as one I already have. Yes I could have sold the fl20 and kept the 28, but my kids are familiar with the 20 and they’ll be using that now, so back to the store the 28 went. I do like vexilar and if I did not have the 20 already I might have kept it. Just my opinions and personal preference. Vexilar makes a great unit, they just didn’t earn my business this time around.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was just curious because I’ve been using one without any issue. I don’t understand how the 28 can be louder than the 20. I also have both and can say that the 28 is a breath of fresh air compared to the 20 as far as noise.

I am not too sure about the proview ducer yet. Works awesome in the weeds. Works ok in the mid range depths (15-30′) but the narrower cone angle is noticeable. I like more warning when a fish is lurking below. I may be buying a wider ducer for the mid depths. I suspect the proview will be fantastic in deep water (>50′). We’ll see when superior freezes.

The color palate I really like. Not too bright for me especially when I fish outside most of the time.

Kent Tau

I too thought the flx28 is quietest vexilar ever built. I own both the flx28 and the lx7. They have their goods and haven’t found anything bad yet. My lx7 went through the coldest weather with extensive used and now my flx28 is in the same mode. My bro was complaining about my flx28 but he end up fishing with it a few times lol. I hope these units will work for me for many years to come. And for those wondering about interference, next to each other 3 feet apart there are no interference at all. The flx28 also works well with the fl 18.

Many has mentioned the flx28 is hard to dial in or use compare to previous models. Seriously…it can’t be any simpler. . Even if you are a first time user you could become a pro in 5 min. And this is the same with the lx7.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

However, you do need to be a pro to dial in a lowrance. Took me a good 2 hours of tweaking to get it where it is now. Works pretty good and battery life seems sufficient.

DeanoB
    Historic Mantorville

So the LX7 went crazy. I was set up in 11 feet and it randomly started changing depths up to 132 feet. clutter all over the flasher dial. Then the unit just froze up, the power button would not even work. Unplugged it from battery power. This happened a couple times. 2 hours messing with this thing on the ice, meanwhile my 8 year old kid is hammering bluegills using the reliable FL20. WTF any one else have these issues? Is this a known issue or a fluke or what. Firmware is 4.07

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

My LX6 did that once….
    The fix was to reload the firmware update…it solved my issue…
    But I would definitely call Marcum..

fygr8

My LX-9 charger is green until I hook it to the battery. It will not turn green no matter how long it is on the charger, but still charges the unit fine.

Kent Tau

So the LX7 went crazy. I was set up in 11 feet and it randomly started changing depths up to 132 feet. clutter all over the flasher dial. Then the unit just froze up, the power button would not even work. Unplugged it from battery power. This happened a couple times. 2 hours messing with this thing on the ice, meanwhile my 8 year old kid is hammering bluegills using the reliable FL20. WTF any one else have these issues? Is this a known issue or a fluke or what. Firmware is 4.07

Its not the first. My brother’s new out of the box did that the first 10 mins of fishing. Useless afterwards. ..we shared my flx28 that day. Sent it to marcum and they said it was a bad resistor. I’m not sure if the new unit are any good any more. I have my lx7 since Nov 2013 and never updated the firmware 3.01 and mine works fine even in below digits. Because of this issue I sold my second new never used lx7 and kept the flx28.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.