Quest trolling motor?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anyone running a Quest trolling motor? Wondering how it compares to a standard Terrova? Thanks.

grizzly
    nebraska

X 2. Got 1 coming on a new boat. They look like a beast

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ve heard they are heavy. Is that true? Are you guys switching over to lithium batteries?

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Sounds like they are a significant upgrade from previous Terrovas. I’ve read that the Ulterra is heavier than the previous. Not so sure on the Terrova. Longer run times, quieter, more power, and improved iPilot. And the ability to run 24v or 36v with the same motor. Thought about upgrading, but think I’m going to wait a year.

Stanley

I’ve heard they are heavy. Is that true? Are you guys switching over to lithium batteries?

The Scheels employee I talked to said they are a lot heavier than the regular models and minnKota has a bow reinforcing plate for $200 that they highly suggest using to help with the extra weight and torque from these motors.

grizzly
    nebraska

Heard heavier and take a stronger mounting plate. Not switching to lithium in new boat. Staying with big oddesy. Lot of price difference and not needed for what I do

Karry Kyllo

I’ve got a a 72″ 115 MSI Quest Ulterra and yes, they are heavy. I mounted it with a MKA-56 Quick Release bracket. It’s not coming off unless the boat comes apart. I had a 72″ 112 MDI Ulterra a generation older prior and the the MKA-56 bracket and mounting plate is far heavier than I used on my previous Ulterra. I’m keeping the same lead acid batteries that I used previously.

I bought a PoppTops cover for it too to keep it protected from road grime.

The motor is larger, the shaft diameter is larger, the lift mechanism is beefed up and the Ulterra as a whole is built quite a bit sturdier. It also has a simple method of manually stowing it if need be unlike the previous Ulterras. The remote is no longer rechargeable and now comes with AA batteries. If I like that or not, I’m not sure yet.

On the water, the largest noticeable differences are the higher torque and when it steers it turns smoothly. I’ve only used it a couple of times so far but I think I’m going to like it alot. The One-Boat Network is a nice feature too and it can be controlled with a smart phone using the One-Boat Network app. I actually updated the software on it a few weeks ago and updated it through my phone using the app. The technology is amazing.

It’s going to take me a few trips to learn how to use all of the features of the Quest but I’m really looking forward to learning how to use everything.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I went to an Ultrex this year, Mike, but it’s a quest model. The quest is a pretty incredible upgrade in terms of quiet, power, and overall build quality. Yes, they are heavier. I run mine on LiTime TM lithiums (which cost about as much as an high quality AGM) and I swear it could go for days.

Jason

I’m kinda of wanting to upgrade my Ulterra 112 72″ MSI to a simular model Quest but I’m having a real hard time with the 5k price tag after sales tax

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Prices ate getting tough to take but then again many trips the trolling motor is the main motor being used.

Have the transducer gotten any better one the quest models? Is the side imagine transducer worth the extra $300?

Jason

Prices ate getting tough to take but then again many trips the trolling motor is the main motor being used.

Have the transducer gotten any better one the quest models? Is the side imagine transducer worth the extra $300?

Very true on the time spent using the trolling motor. It’s probably 10:1 factor for me and most guys with a large outboard.
    MSI transducer looks very simular between the last year’s and this year’s models. For me the extra $ for the front MSI is a no brainer. Problem is that they way they design the setup is if and when the ducer goes bad you have to replace the entire lower unit which is approx $1400. I had one go bad under warranty and my current setup has the right side scanner not working correctly most of the time again.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I switched from a Ghost to a Quest Ultrex and run 2 36V 50ah Amped Outdoor Batteries. I run it hard especially during tournaments and so far this thing has been awesome.

I did have some time on the old Ultrex in my buddy’s boat so I can compare. The Quest is quieter, but I felt the motor to turn may be a touch louder but its comparable. Lots of power that’s for sure. I really like the drift mode feature that the advanced GPS has. I know the older Minn Kota models can get this or come with it now but it’s very nice. The only thing I thought sucked was that I had to buy the good remote. It doesn’t come with it like the Ulterra and others do. You get the mini remote but wanted the LCD Screen. The remote is fantastic. Batteries in the old big remote would maybe be good for a couple of days. I am still full after 3 months.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I switched from a Ghost to a Quest Ultrex and run 2 36V 50ah Amped Outdoor Batteries. I run it hard especially during tournaments and so far this thing has been awesome.

I did have some time on the old Ultrex in my buddy’s boat so I can compare. The Quest is quieter, but I felt the motor to turn may be a touch louder but its comparable. Lots of power that’s for sure. I really like the drift mode feature that the advanced GPS has. I know the older Minn Kota models can get this or come with it now but it’s very nice. The only thing I thought sucked was that I had to buy the good remote. It doesn’t come with it like the Ulterra and others do. You get the mini remote but wanted the LCD Screen. The remote is fantastic. Batteries in the old big remote would maybe be good for a couple of days. I am still full after 3 months.

My new terrova is the advanced GPS model and it’s awesome. It’s not a quest model but the mew remote and things I can do with the remote were well worth that upgrade. That’s to bad the new Quest series didn’t come with that remote.

Plunker

Only the Ultrex Quest doesn’t come with the lcd screen remote, or the regular non-brushless motor for that fact. They have the micro included

The Quest Ulterra and Terrova both come with the bigger lcd remote.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I believe the ulterra is the only quest that comes with the advanced remote. I sort of like the mini because it’s super light and does most of what I need. The iPhone app does the rest, as do the networked locators.

I have the MSI transducers and don’t use them much. But I also have a 360, which can act as SI when needed. The problem I’ve had with the built in SI is that the motor is turning a lot so the images aren’t steady.

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I believe the ulterra is the only quest that comes with the advanced remote. I sort of like the mini because it’s super light and does most of what I need. The iPhone app does the rest, as do the networked locators.

I have the MSI transducers and don’t use them much. But I also have a 360, which can act as SI when needed. The problem I’ve had with the built in SI is that the motor is turning a lot so the images aren’t steady.

Yeah I got the MSI/DI transducer in my quest and I believe it was a waste of money for me at least. I’ll never use it, nor do I have it hooked up.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Yeah I got the MSI/DI transducer in my quest and I believe it was a waste of money for me at least. I’ll never use it, nor do I have it hooked up.

I think SI is completely worthless on a trolling motor. But I do like DI. If I’m hanging on a drop it gives me a good idea on how to position the boat. Or if you’re trolling it can give you an idea of what’s to come. We all fish differently, but I like. I find it annoying that you have to get SI/DI when getting a 72″ Ulterra. Oh well, there are worse things to deal with, like finding a banana in your boat.

jon_wbl

Upgraded to the Terrova Quest this spring. It is definitely a beast
    Probably 90# and the detachable mounting plate is at least another 15#. Running 36V it will push my 1750 FishHawk over 5mph. On spot lock you barely here it working. Fished in 30mph winds in SD and it held well, ran the batteries down maybe 20% in 6-7 hrs. Can’t say anything for the transducer, just got the CHIRP for depth. Definitely happy with purchase

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Ive got the Ultrex Quest. It’s heavy and excellent. Fast and strong. About throws me out of the boat if I turn it up too high. Had the original Ultrexx that I liked. This is a bit better.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.