Purple Rain

• Gerty

After all my questions about slip bobber rigs on Tuesday we made it to Mille Lacs yesterday. Our intention was to pull cranks on lead until we found a good pod of fish and then let the two boys we had along do some slip bobber fishing. We went out of Garrison and the first flat we went to had lots of fish on it. Caught 12 fish in the first hour all on cranks. Only 1 fish over 20″ so we decided to try another flat and see if there were any bigger fish. Well, you know what they say about leaving fish to find fish. This flat was empty. So we went back to our original spot and proceeded to pull more cranks. After getting things dialed in, anything with purple on it was fish on! Didn’t matter shape, #7 deep diving shad rap, #5 floating rapala, etc. Anything purple was the ticket. We did stop for a few minutes to try and bobber fish, but there was too much action on the cranks. Ended up catching 62 fish from 10am to 4pm. Had probably 15 fish over 18″ with the biggest running 24″. Lots of fish from 14″-18″ and lots between 9″-13″. Kids were entertained all day and had a ton of fun and lots of doubles.

Attachments:
    1. Max-Brett-Mille-Lacs.jpg

2. Max-Tim-Mille-Lacs-1.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Kids were entertained all day and had a ton of fun.

Sounds like a great trip! peace woot woot peace

-J.

Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

Not sure if that is you Gerty or someone else, but that is an awesome shirt, any idea where to get one?

Jason Boeck

Looks like a blast! I will be up this weekend and curious what speed you were running and also wondering if you were finding the fish on top of the flats or off of them?

Thanks!
    Tuma

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I always leave fish to find fish but looks like your strategy paid dividends.

Awesome shirt. Where did you get it?

Gerty

Jason – Fish were on top of the flats all day. Always seemed to be active fish on top. We fished the sides of the top right before the first break off. Pulled from 2.0 to 2.3mph.

Thanks for the compliments on the shirt! I saw it and my kids gave it to me for Father’s Day. It is made by Pelagic. They even have bikini’s with the same pattern if you can get your FW or GF to wear that sort of thing! grin

FBRM – if we weren’t worried about keeping the kids entertained, we probably would have done a lot more searching.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Great report, cool that you got the boys on some good action!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

My fishoflauge looks as if it needs upgrading now. That clothing is awesome!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

$55 for a shirt?

It better glow in the dark and smell like bacon. And be rain proof.

SR

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well dad gum, I went out all afternoon yesterday pulling (guess what)?…purple rapala along the north shore off the drop at 15-18′. Natta, that’s where I was told to troll. ??? Spent today working a couple flats bait-rigging with leech on the tops and off the edges, natta? I suppose it was that shirt that I was missing. doah

Gerty

Sorry to hear that WalleyeStudent! What difference a day can make! I’m sure it wasn’t the shirt!!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well I did manage to scratch out a couple this afternoon/evening out on the Myr Mar flat…biggest was 25″, so I was happy with that. Lost more than I boated, but that’s why I’m still the “student”. blush

KwickStick
    At the intersection of Pools 6 & 7

Nice going! I’ve caught a lot of wing dam walleyes on purple Bombers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.