Protecting fish during late ice-out

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I wanted to echo some of Steve Fellegy’s (and others) comments on Facebook because they is so very correct. The Minnesota DNR will tell a room full of people there is no harm to netting fish during the spawn on Mille Lacs. Then close other waters to fishing in order to protect spawning fish. So what is it? You cannot have it both ways. chased

From the Mn DNR website today:

Protecting fish during late ice-out

Spring hasn’t sprung yet. Late ice-out dates mean seasonal closures become necessary in some places to protect fish concentrated in spawning areas.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/index.html

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regulations/fishing/seasonal-closures.pdf

-J.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Jon,

This why there is so much distrust of the DNR. This is complete bs on the DNR

Mwal

404 ERROR
    MN

I don’t get surprised by much when it comes to the MNDNR, but this is pretty hypocritical….

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The DNR says there is no harm for netting on Mille Lacs Lake during spawn to help smooth out the decision to allow them to do so. I am sure the DNR would say NO to netting if they could. This is just another great example of what happens to our resources when politicians get involved. Think of all the problems senator twisted Ingebrigtsen bill would have done if passed.

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

That’s because it’s a political decision and not a biological decision. Could you image if both groups were at the accesses at the same time? There would be a LOT of problems if this took place. There is really no other time of the year where fisherman are non-existent on the lake.

I am not saying it’s right or taking their side but the writing is on the wall and the GLIFWC and MNDNR don’t want to see these to groups co-mingling at the access points or having nets being snagged by fishermen. You just have to look at what happened when the governor made his trip up there, things escalated pretty quick. Whether they admit it or not I believe this has some bearing on the dates.

tswoboda

Do the lakes in the seasonal closure list have a harvest quota?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Is it just me or is that list tiny? We worried about that?

tswoboda

Is it just me or is that list tiny? We worried about that?

“We” are not worried about the lakes on the list. “We” are just looking for another unrelated reason to complain about the DNR’s [mis]management of Mille Lacs.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

So you’re saying gunflint lake, saganaga falls, and Tait river are very similar in biomass and lake characteristics as lake mille lacs and should be managed similarly?

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

So you’re saying gunflint lake, saganaga falls, and Tait river are very similar in biomass and lake characteristics as lake mille lacs and should be managed similarly?

I’m no biologist but if taking spawning fish is horrible, why doesn’t Steve fight a fight against fishing these areas that are open for the masses during spawn?

Am all for No netting but the spawn fight is gonna be tough when we allow it in other areas.

TripleA
    Blaine

If you net hundreds/thousands of pregnant mothers in a hospital every year and eat them how many babies will be born?….

Basic.

Logic.

No argument holds water against it.

A hook catches one fish at a time and is managed based solely on itself, a net does not pick what it catches and is managed as a bundle. The ENTIRE DNR quota for MN anglers is an equation they guess at for hooking mortality based on water temp, yet every ramp is not monitored for exact numbers of netted and caught fish which is easily possible. (See the 16 year olds that have 2 per ramp on other lakes checking for invasives if you need evidence.) The DNR had the guts to ask for a fisheries lab on mille lacs when they can’t even keep track of catch counts! Why am I not surprised a government institution wants to spend more money and gain zero results??? It is the new norm!

Old news, same story. Politics literally run everything these days.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Politics & money.

ajw

Keeping a fish in April during the spawn is the same thing as keeping that fish in August, or February. It still dies. Cripes let’s makes all MN water c&r only

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Keeping a fish in April during the spawn is the same thing as keeping that fish in August, or February. It still dies. Cripes let’s makes all MN water c&r only

I have heard that argument more than once…and no, it’s not quite that black and white.

If we’re talking about walleyes for example, typically there are more smaller males and fewer larger females. When the females lay their eggs you may see multiples of males move in to fertilize the eggs when you only need one or two to get the job done.

So a hook and line angler IF they release the larger females (and many do) and only keep some smaller males there should be little detriment to the following spawning cycle.

Netting during the spawn can be indiscriminate with both males and egg laying females being removed right at or around the time at which they are reproducing.

So your argument is not exactly an apple to apple comparison.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

This is the most stupid rationale I’ve ever heard and getting very sick of people saying it.

Is shooting a deer or a moose while carrying a baby the same as shooting it in the fall?

Get a clue.

tswoboda

If you net hundreds/thousands of pregnant mothers in a hospital every year and eat them how many babies will be born?….

Basic.

Logic.

Wow just going straight to the top with the fear mongering analogies today huh.

1st rule of armchair fisheries biology… ALWAYS COMPARE FISH TO HUMANS. I mean who can pass up a chance to bring up eating pregnant mothers.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I don’t get it one day the DNR is all holly then a week later the DNR is bad but if one tries to suggest the DNR is not as perfect outside the Mille Lacs program the blinders go on.

tswoboda

Is shooting a deer or a moose while carrying a baby the same as shooting it in the fall?

Get a clue.

Is a deer or moose a fish?

Armchair biology again..

ajw

is there enough forage in the lake to support a greater population of walleyes? say they closed netting and had a super successful spawn? would that make the lake healthier? just thinking out loud here. you guys don’t need to get your undies bunched all the time.

ajw

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>ajw wrote:</div>

This is the most stupid rationale I’ve ever heard and getting very sick of people saying it.

Get a clue.

I would love for you to explain to me how keeping a walleye in February is different than April froma biological standpoint

tswoboda

I would love for you to explain to me how keeping a walleye in February is different than April froma biological standpoint

That was already explained above in the eating pregnant women and unborn babies post.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I think some here are missing the point.

Assuming the DNR has done the research and made sound biological decisions to set limits, set seasons, close areas in the spring to protect spawners. Lets all assume this is a good place to start because they have done this on every single lake in Minnesota.

Then allow a certain set of people to take fish out of season, no limits, and during the spawn and claim this is OK because it only happens on lake Mille Lacs?

Someone explain to me how this can happen? How can this be correct and true? Is the DNR wrong? If it has no negative effect on Mille Lacs as they claim, then lets do away with seasons, and limits on all lakes. Seem logical to me, eh?

-J.

lindyrig79

And I would love for you to explain why all of our hunting and fishing seasons / regulations revolve around protecting each species while they are trying to reproduce and how it doesn’t matter in this case?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Dear POTUS,

Screw your wall, we need open water, not now, but right now.

Thanks, Nick.

ajw

That was already explained above in the eating pregnant women and unborn babies post.

lol touché

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think I did when I posted above.

You and ajw are now selective in your responses.

ajw

And I would love for you to explain why all of our hunting and fishing seasons / regulations revolve around protecting each species while they are trying to reproduce and how it doesn’t matter in this case?

ok so you don’t have the answer. thanks

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

is there enough forage in the lake to support a greater population of walleyes? say they closed netting and had a super successful spawn? would that make the lake healthier? just thinking out loud here. you guys don’t need to get your undies bunched all the time.

And now your switching gears.

To answer this question though…the 2013 year class says so.

ajw

And now your switching gears.

To answer this question though…the 2013 year class says so.

like I said just thinking out loud. lakes (wildlife, and carry capacity in general) are far more complex than what most fisherman/outdoorsman think. appreciate your answer

lindyrig79

ok so you don’t have the answer. thanks

Your ignorance is really shining through. Andy already answered your question. You cannot answer mine or Jon’s. Keep digging though…. you’re doing great.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 101 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.