Props, Stainless vs. aluminum??

• Kipp Hughes

I recently took a small chunk out of my aluminum prop and must decide if I will fix it or get a new one. (not sure if there is a local shop that repairs aluminum props or not). My question is… should I go with a stainless prop or stick with the cheaper aluminum? I run a Lund Pro Sport 1600 with a Yamaha 60 on it. My boat currently tops out at about 32 mph with two people in it. I only use it for fishing so not sure if the added expense of the stainless would give enough increase in performance to warrant the extra money. Anyone run aluminum and stainless and do you think it is worth the extra money? I run my boat mainly in Arizona in deep rocky reservoirs but still have a chance to make contact with rocks, hence the chipped blade. Thanks ahead of time for any replies.

kabefisherman11

I had a similar dilemma a few years ago. I bought a hustler aluminum prop from iboats.com. the reason being that a stainless steel prop will not bend or give as much if it hits a rock while aluminum will bend and chip and won’t mess up your lower unit seals and spindle. The stainless steel ones look cool and are stiffer resulting in good hole shot and torque but any contact with a rock or bottom could mean a lower unit rebuild instead of a prop replacement. Just my 2 cents good luck.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

See similar thread on outdoor gear forum.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.