Prop recommendations needed

• MIKE METCALF
    Beulah, ND

Hello everyone, I just picked up a brand-new 2013 G3 angler v164t holdover last week. It has a 50hp Yamaha 4 stroke on it. The stock prop is a 13 pitch. The problem I am having is getting the boat to pop up on plane. When it is me and the old lady I have to have her crawl up front to get the boat to get on plane. This is with the livewell filled. And top speed wide open is 28mph gps verified and wot rpm is 5400rpm. I am looking for a prop that will pop the boat up on plane and give me decent top speed, but not sacrifice my trolling speed for pulling cranks. Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Mike,
    That’s a fairly large/heavy hull for a 50. When I’ve run similar combinations, I had to drop down to an 11″ or 12″ pitch prop, I’d ask the dealer for one of each and head to the lake and test.

The good news is, going to a lower-pitch prop should actually slow your trolling speed, not increase it. The max rpm on that motor is 6000, so you have some room to work with.

HRG

MIKE METCALF
    Beulah, ND

I have also pulled the restrictor plate out of the intake to make it a “60” hp now. And it did help….but wasn’t quite enough. I am thinking a hydrofoil will help….but I think a prop change is the true answer to the problem. Turning point props recommends a 12.5 x 8 pitch aluminum Hustler prop.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

Turning point props recommends a 12.5 x 8 pitch aluminum Hustler prop.

a 12.5 x 8″ pitch sounds like a pontoon boat prop.

HRG

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Call the experts

http://www.propmd.com/

These guys are awesome. You give them your RPM and speed, they send you a prop. You try it and give them the RPM and speed again. They do this until you have the perfect prop. You only buy the one you decide on. Great company!!

I’ve purchased a few SS props from them and have been very happy. Price was great too! Around $300-350. Cheaper than the used ones on craigslist.

dairycat

Mike I have a similar boat. 2003 G3 167t. I have a 12p SS with the motor raised all the way up. I was actually over revving with a 11p alum. Shoots right out, I can get 34mph in perfect conditions. Give me a call if you have questions. 6084060860. Chad

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.