Prime hunting property opportunity.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Maybe a little off topic, but why would a guy buy deer hunting property two hours north of the Twin Cities instead of going two hours in the other direction to southeast Minnesota?

Tell us you haven’t looked at the price of land lately without telling us you haven’t looked at the price of land lately.

Brittman

I would assume in SE MN and SW WI you are not just competing with residents of that state. I suspect out of state hunters are gobbling up real estate in that deer belt region at a decent rate too.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I would assume in SE MN and SW WI you are not just competing with residents of that state. I suspect out of state hunters are gobbling up real estate in that deer belt region at a decent rate too.

That and leasing companies sadly. Guys pay big money to lease hunting land.

zooks

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boone wrote:</div>
    Maybe a little off topic, but why would a guy buy deer hunting property two hours north of the Twin Cities instead of going two hours in the other direction to southeast Minnesota?

Tell us you haven’t looked at the price of land lately without telling us you haven’t looked at the price of land lately.

that plus some people just don’t want to immediately deal with CWD when buying deer land. I know I wouldn’t but YMMV

CaptainMusky

Bingo zooks though it’s hard to escape cwd anywhere these days. Both of the areas we hunt are cwd zones.

JEREMY
    BP

The land I hunt now is 87 acres and has a bid of over 5 million accepted waiting for soil tests and such. Hope the tests take years.

That must be some prime development land. Ever the best Ag land does not sell anywhere near that

Its getting developed close bye. They wanna put 200 houses on it.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Hi Jay,

I haven’t looked at the price of land lately. wink

Wow. Based on a quick search, I’m shocked at the prices. Are sellers really getting that much? How much more would you say SE Minnesota land sells for than land in north central Minnesota land?

Ultimately, I would think ag land prices would be driven by the cost of finance and commodity prices. I think corn is under $4/bu now. If you’re able to get 250 bu/acre, that’s $1000/acre. What are input costs? Maybe $400-500/acre? I really don’t know. What land price can that profit support? Maybe non-tillable timber land is a lot more valuable than crop ground.

I wonder if land prices are in some type of bubble.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think corn is under $4/bu now

Last week it was $3.37/bushel, which is terrible.

Traditionally the break even price is $4/bushel. Futures do not look very good either, as there is expected to be a surplus of supply this fall. Very little drought in the corn belt this year.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s a surplus of corn in silos/storage in the US. Many farmers assumed prices would continue rising from this Spring but weather has been pretty cooperative in the Midwest. South America has also had some record crops to saturate the market. Politics will also weigh in as China is the largest grain buyer in the world…and the US’s attitude towards China seems to really ebb and flow as we are tied together economically.

I wouldn’t consider land prices in any sort of “bubble”. Land is such a unique asset with multiple types of demand on most acreage (urban development, ag, recreation, etc) while there’s no way to “make more of it.” Owning acreage remotely with no physical connection to it is becoming far more common as well with the wealthiest 1%ers in this country. If I was handed a billion dollars today, a large chunk of that would be invested in productive land even at historically high prices.

JEREMY
    BP

To much rain is no good either there is some bad looking corn fields around

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Traditionally the break even price is $4/bushel. Futures do not look very good either, as there is expected to be a surplus of supply this fall. Very little drought in the corn belt this year.

not much drought but to much rain in some area. Some of my farming friends said cord production is going to be down in Southern Mn and Iowa due to the wet conditions at planting and shortly after. Seems like with the great growing conditions prices on corn and beans would be way down this year. Farmers are telling me possible not

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

To much rain is no good either there is some bad looking corn fields around

Missed your reply before my post – About what I was saying as well.

Justin riegel

Really wish I had $90k laying around. I buy this up in heartbeat.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Wow. Based on a quick search, I’m shocked at the prices. Are sellers really getting that much? How much more would you say SE Minnesota land sells for than land in north central Minnesota land?

Update: The 120 acre property in the original post is for sale for $299,000. That’s $2500 an acre, or a little less if you consider the value of the cabin that is on the property.

I would be shocked if you could find a connected or continuious 120 acres of land in SE Minnesota for even $6 to 7000 an acre unless there’s some major issue with the property that impacts value, in which case it’s unlikely you’d want it for hunting anyway.

I know several wildlife property real estate agents and they all say the same thing. When it comes to rural/ag/hunting properties, the main driver for sales and prices is NOT interest rates, the stock market, the housing market, etc. All that stuff that drives the housing market is N/A.

The main driver for rural properties now is opportunity cost. When is a given buyer going to get ANOTHER chance to buy a similar property in that same area? Increasingly, the answer is “never”. So faced with that reality, a lot of buyers are willing to pay high prices because if they don’t, they’ll never get another chance.

You see this especially in tillable farmland, buyers say over and over again that this was their one chance in 3 or 4 generations to buy those acres. If they pass on it because they feel the price is too high, there likely won’t be another chance for decades and do you think the price will be cheaper then? There are a lot of farmers who have acres that they personally will never turn a profit on in their lifetime, but the opportunity was there to acquire the land for future generations so they took it.

It’s basically the same for wildlife properties, if a buyer finds the ideal parcel that is where they want it and has everything else they want, then the calculation has to include what are the chances they will find all that and find it cheaper if they pass on this property?

Wildlife properties go like this. When you first buy it, everybody and their dog will tell you that you are CRAZY for overpaying. Wait until prices go down.

Then in 5 years, the same people will tell you that you are a genius for getting in back when land was cheap. Oh how they wish they’d been as lucky as you were to be in the market back in the days when land only went for …

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

it will gone real fast I think…

Hoyt4
    NULL

That is not a terrible cost with having a place on it. Our corn in Southern MN best condition it’s been since getting permission on this 6 years ago. I’m very surprised since the farmer does not rotate crops and just plants corn every year.

LabDaddy1

Get your self s savage 220 and send it just like a rifle. That one I bought last year puts great groups together at 200 yards. Which is a 100 yards further then I’ve ever need for shooting a deer

Woah, that thing is pretty sweet. Looks just like a rifle! Never heard of them before

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>
    Get your self s savage 220 and send it just like a rifle. That one I bought last year puts great groups together at 200 yards. Which is a 100 yards further then I’ve ever need for shooting a deer

Woah, that thing is pretty sweet. Looks just like a rifle! Never heard of them before

I bought one last year for the kid to shotgun hunt the farm with. I was and still am incredibly impressed. Ammo isn’t cheap though

MX1825

Ag land in SW WI sells anywhere from 15k up to 20k an acre. Recreational land (hunting land/woods) sells for 5k to 9k. It all depends on the parcel and location.

Justin riegel

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin riegel wrote:</div>
    Really wish I had $90k laying around. I buy this up in heartbeat.

90 plus 210k ?

Well in a perfect world buying cash would be great but to make the payment manageable for me $90k down would be my goal.

isu22andy

Grouse PM me the listing . Thanks

Erik Swenson

Not to highjack the thread, but anyone have any idea how much a hunting lease may be worth? Asking because a young man recently inquired about it for our farm property in SE MN. Zumbrota area. Feel welcome to PM me if you have any experience with this. Thank you!

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Not to highjack the thread, but anyone have any idea how much a hunting lease may be worth? Asking because a young man recently inquired about it for our farm property in SE MN. Zumbrota area. Feel welcome to PM me if you have any experience with this. Thank you!

An 80 acre parcel with a nice stream that’s about 90% woods in Wabasha County was leased for $6500 (maximum of 4 licensed hunters) this year.

All land isn’t created equal, but this is probably quite a good deal at going rates and the outfitter push in the area driving up hunting lease rates.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I see guys north of the cities starting prices at 2500 all the way up to 5k. I’m always curious how these big money guys make out.
    Near home there are a few properties that I’m allowed to bow hunt until the last week in October and then the land goes left alone until the lease guy comes in opening rifle day. I’m glad I get the free bow hunting spot.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I see guys north of the cities starting prices at 2500 all the way up to 5k. I’m always curious how these big money guys make out.
    Near home there are a few properties that I’m allowed to bow hunt until the last week in October and then the land goes left alone until the lease guy comes in opening rifle day. I’m glad I get the free bow hunting spot.

I think a lot of guys are afraid of public. I do understand that though. Solid setup you got there!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I think a lot of guys are afraid of public. I do understand that though. Solid setup you got there!

The farm I hunt 7 blocks away is for sale right now. I was so spoiled with that spot. We shot trap there, turkey hunted, small game, deer, long range rifle stuff and rode wheelers there. I’m depressed it’s for sale. It was my home away from home the last 2 years. Now if I only had 900k to buy it.

JEREMY
    BP

Sell the boat you just repaired that should cover about 1% of it.

Stanley

[/quote]

I hunted public for a long time. Not always the best for getting deer but never any issues with other hunters we came across. We lucked out 4yrs ago and got access to private land. It is a mix of ag land and low land. We have access to 240 acres but not all of it is huntable. The best part is the owner lets us hunt for free and we can do whatever we want with stands and improvements. There is plenty of deer and pheasants and we have shot 2 nice bucks and always have at least one big one every year on camera.

Erik Swenson

Thanks for the replies. Nice to have a range anyway.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.