Prime hunting property opportunity.

• TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

This is an advanced heads up for anyone looking for hunting property. I learned yesterday that the 120 acre property adjacent to my property in central Pine County will be going up for sale.

In addition to the benefit, of course, of being my neighbor rotflol this property pretty much has it all when it comes to deer hunting. Established trail system, food plots, existing stands, etc. there is also a serviceable cabin on the property. Very rare for this area, this property has almost all high ground. No significant areas of swamp or bog.

Properties of this size with 90% dry land rarely come up for sale in this area.

The other huge benefit of this property is it is within a 1.5 to 2 hour drive from most places in the twin cities. I can’t tell you what big factor this is when it comes to the enjoyment of a property. Not having a three plus hour drive is a huge advantage.

The property is not yet listed on the web but it will be soon. Anyone looking for property, it would be a big advantage to get in on this early. PM me for details.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Hopefully you end up with a solid neighbor waytogo

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

What’s ball park asking cost on this ? The farm I hunt just went up for sale, over 10k a acre. 900k for 90 acres is wild. I imagine they are targeting a developer.

If I was a rich man, I’d be your new neighbor grouse.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I know Grouse, why don’t you just buy it? Land is one of the biggest investments to make $$$

Sharon
    SE Metro

PM sent! mrgreen

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

Best wolf hunting land around!!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I know Grouse, why don’t you just buy it? Land is one of the biggest investments to make $$$

It would make a nice addition to my property but with 120 acres I already have I feel like it’s way more than I would need or be able to utilize.

I also just signed a deal for a new cabin build so I really have no need for a property that has an existing cabin.

If you’re going to hunt anywhere in Minnesota north of Forest Lake you’d better get used to wolves. They aren’t going away.

And in fact I was just discussing with a customer the other day the fact that in my opinion there is going to be consistent packs of wolves sighted south of Forest Lake within 5 years. You heard it here first.

I don’t think they’ve made a noticeable difference in the hunting in my area and I’ve been hunting it for 40 years. The deer population will always rise and fall and the main factor will always be the severity of winter.

grubson
    Harris, Somewhere in VNP

>grubson wrote:</div>

If you’re going to hunt anywhere in Minnesota north of Forest Lake you’d better get used to wolves. They aren’t going away.

And in fact I was just discussing with a customer the other day the fact that in my opinion there is going to be consistent packs of wolves sighted south of Forest Lake within 5 years. You heard it here first.

I don’t think they’ve made a noticeable difference in the hunting in my area and I’ve been hunting it for 40 years. The deer population will always rise and fall and the main factor will always be the severity of winter.

[/quote]
    Sorry, just being a smart a**. I agree though, especially about winter severity.
    We hunt up towards McGregor by the Solana state forest.
    We’ve been there since 96 and the deer hunting hasn’t changed much. There’s always been wolves. It’s not like farm country but if you put in your time it can be rewarding.

There has been I few wolves spotted in the Harris/ Stark / Rush city area this summer.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Hunting in pine County I haven’t seen wolves yet but I have heard rumors from neighboring property.

Grouse what’s a ballpark number he wants ? We have been looking for land for a few years and haven’t had luck. But what’s price per acreage in that area ?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I have found wolf tracks near Zimmerman sadly.

CaptainMusky

My wife took the dog out one night this spring north of sartell. And a wolf howled the dog froze. He wouldn’t move. She had to carry him into the house. The next day I saw a wolf standing in a field on my way home about 200 yards from our house. There are 2 around here for sure. The one I saw was brown and there are pics of a black one by the traut farm across from upper deck which is about 200 yards from where I saw the one I did.

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

they are not far from Long Prairie either.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Wolves are part of nature.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have found wolf tracks near Zimmerman sadly.

Whoa, that’s pretty far south.

Pack telemetry studies with e collars have shown a pack consistently as far south as around Milaca. Just north of there is where the timber line meets the agriculture.

Nodakk

There’s definitely wolves down from Milaca to Princeton and Zimmerman area

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Maybe a little off topic, but why would a guy buy deer hunting property two hours north of the Twin Cities instead of going two hours in the other direction to southeast Minnesota? Is land just that more expensive in SE Minnesota than north central Minnesota? I see the benefits of SE Minnesota over northern Minnesota as:
    1. Far more deer.
    2. Bigger bucks.
    3. No wolves
    4. Agriculture country so there’s amply food year-round.
    5. No winter kill.
    6. Probably better hunting for other game such as turkey, squirrels, furbearers, etc.

I think the same would apply to west central or southwest Wisconsin. Nonresident deer tags are readily available for Wisconsin unlike Iowa. Even if the price per acre in SE Minnesota was double that of north central Minnesota, you could buy half as much land and see and shoot far more deer.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Hunting in pine County I haven’t seen wolves yet but I have heard rumors from neighboring property.

Grouse what’s a ballpark number he wants ? We have been looking for land for a few years and haven’t had luck. But what’s price per acreage in that area ?

There’s a lot of variability in land, but there’s a 177 acre piece in Wabasha County that a buddy hunts next to that has a deal pending for $1.7 million…or roughly $10k an acre. I think it’s about half tillable and half hunting property. No buildings, improvements, etc other than a few deer stands and simple plots.

The last chunk we bought we paid $5200 an acre, and we hustled to make that happen. My biggest regret was not immediately inquiring about more.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Maybe a little off topic, but why would a guy buy deer hunting property two hours north of the Twin Cities instead of going two hours in the other direction to southeast Minnesota? Is land just that more expensive in SE Minnesota than north central Minnesota? I see the benefits of SE Minnesota over northern Minnesota as:
    1. Far more deer.
    2. Bigger bucks.
    3. No wolves
    4. Agriculture country so there’s amply food year-round.
    5. No winter kill.
    6. Probably better hunting for other game such as turkey, squirrels, furbearers, etc.

I think the same would apply to west central or southwest Wisconsin. Nonresident deer tags are readily available for Wisconsin unlike Iowa. Even if the price per acre in SE Minnesota was double that of north central Minnesota, you could buy half as much land and see and shoot far more deer.

Shhhhhh. Go away.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There’s a lot of variability in land, but there’s a 177 acre piece in Wabasha County that a buddy hunts next to that has a deal pending for $1.7 million…or roughly $10k an acre. I think it’s about half tillable and half hunting property. No buildings, improvements, etc other than a few deer stands and simple plots.

The last chunk we bought we paid $5200 an acre, and we hustled to make that happen. My biggest regret was not immediately inquiring about more.
    [/quote]

I am unsure if that’s a answer to my question to grouse about land in hinckley ?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Nah, just in general that hunting land isn’t going to be cheap, but if a guy can swing it it’s not the worst investment.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Nah, just in general that hunting land isn’t going to be cheap, but if a guy can swing it it’s not the worst investment.

Well I new land wasn’t going to be cheap, but it’s much cheaper there then it is at home. That was why I had asked him since he is a land owner in that exact area. I appreciate the input though.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

If my math on the listing above is correct, That’s 2825.00 a acre. That’s far less than the 10,000 and 5200.00 bearcat listed above. As expensive as 2825.00 a acre is it seem like a steal of a deal. Sad but I remember a time when I was young and poor that we passed on land at 125-150 $ a acre. This was in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Sure wish I could go back in time. We once passed on a 80 acre property with a older but decent cabin on it for 18,000. Poor timing for myself and my hunting buddies. that one still hurts to think about

JEREMY
    BP

The land I hunt now is 87 acres and has a bid of over 5 million accepted waiting for soil tests and such. Hope the tests take years.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

The land I hunt now is 87 acres and has a bid of over 5 million accepted waiting for soil tests and such. Hope the tests take years.

The 45 next to the farm I hunt just sold for 1.2 but was all ag. The entire area is going to be developed. I’m hoping I can get through this last season here.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

That must be some prime development land. Ever the best Ag land does not sell anywhere near that

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Maybe a little off topic, but why would a guy buy deer hunting property two hours north of the Twin Cities instead of going two hours in the other direction to southeast Minnesota?

For me an item to consider is whether I can use a rifle or not. That’s only possible north of the Hwy 95.

I don’t archery hunt and have no plans to so given a choice, I’d much rather use a rifle than a shotgun.

All your other points I do agree with. The land being referred to in this specific thread is already set up to hunt on with trails, stands, food plots, and a cabin. That would play into my decision as well. Land without all that creates a fair amount of work and time to be huntable.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>boone wrote:</div>
    Maybe a little off topic, but why would a guy buy deer hunting property two hours north of the Twin Cities instead of going two hours in the other direction to southeast Minnesota?

For me an item to consider is whether I can use a rifle or not. That’s only possible north of the Hwy 95.

I don’t archery hunt and have no plans to so given a choice, I’d much rather use a rifle than a shotgun.

All your other points I do agree with. The land being referred to in this specific thread is already set up to hunt on with trails, stands, food plots, and a cabin. That would play into my decision as well. Land without all that creates a fair amount of work and time to be huntable.

Get your self s savage 220 and send it just like a rifle. That one I bought last year puts great groups together at 200 yards. Which is a 100 yards further then I’ve ever need for shooting a deer

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

If my math on the listing above is correct, That’s 2825.00 a acre. That’s far less than the 10,000 and 5200.00 bearcat listed above. As expensive as 2825.00 an acre is it seem like a steal of a deal. Sad but I remember a time when I was young and poor that we passed on land at 125-150 $ an acre. This was in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Sure wish I could go back in time. We once passed on a 80 acre property with an older but decent cabin on it for 18,000. Poor timing for myself and my hunting buddies. that one still hurts to think about

You can’t even lease ag land for that anymore. It’s 300 an acre here for good tillable acres. Crazy what the run on land has done, with no end in sight.

If the OP’s parcel is as described at $2850 an acre, it’s going to be hard to find anything cheaper for decent hunting land. Good luck BC if you pursue it.

CaptainMusky

Yeah if that is the property I think that is actually a pretty good price. Not in my market I dont want anything that big. I would obviously love it, but man steep price tag Id rather spend money on toys and pulltabs.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 64 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.