Calling raccoons

• snowolf68

Hey im somewhat new to hunting in general and am interested in coon hunting. The problem is i have no dogs. (except a mini shnauzer if you can even call that a dog) i have heard of calling them in the day time and was wondering if anyone has tried this. If so when and what call did you use? Thanks in advance.

john_steinhauer
    p4

Welcome to IDO I don’t know anything about raccoon hunting but someone here I’m sure does.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Welcome to iDohunting.com. Sorry I can’t help you.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

With coon, I’ve been very hit or miss. Its seems on a good den, you can get nearly immediate responses….and no responses. I know of guys that have much better success rates than I do. But I only do coon a few times a year. E-caller has been the best for me. I run Fox Pro’s, but there are others out there that will work. Coon fights, sow in heat and coon pups have all worked for me.

Let me know any specific questions and I’ll do what I can to help

snowolf68

Thanks randy w. Im not a predator hunter only deer and small game and was wondering if a 22 lr would work for raccoons? If nessesary i can bust out the 12 ga but i would prefer the price and recoil of a 22.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The nice thing with coons is that you can set up close to their dens. I use a 22lr all the time for them. Most shots are 30yrds, if that.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.