coyote hunting questions – newbie

• bharo15
    Blaine, MN

i will be going out for the first time and i have a few questions.
    1. After hunting a set/area how long do you wait to hunt that same set/area? whether or not you were successful.
    2. if you shoot one will more come out? is this common?

i’ve been watching as many videos as i can find.

Thanks.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I hunt mostly in the southern half of WI. Its a combination of open fields/fence lines, rolling hills, and some dense woods….so I can only speak for the4 properties that I hunt.

From trapping most of this land that I also hunt, I found a pack of coyotes can take anywhere from 1 to 4 days to circle their territory. Also contributing to that time frame is the weather, snow cover, and abundance of food sources. I may hit a spot one night and blank and hit it a second night in a row and call in two. Typically once I shoot, nothing else is coming in at that spot. Its very rare that I have one come in again if I stick it out after a shot. If I take one out in a spot, I like to let that area go for a week. So I’ll hit areas a mile or two away.

Please take this as a positive suggestion – Be much more concerned with your scent and wind direction. Educated song dogs are about the hardest thing you will every hunt. Inevitably, we all make mistakes and contaminate a site with scent, missed shot,…… coyotes have a long memory. Its important to hit spots from different locations with different wind directions. Don’t be afraid to pass up a spot if the wind is wrong. You want the quietest entry and best vantage point for a dog to be able to get down wind from you. If its not right, go somewhere else for that night. Hopefully that helps and welcome to addictive world of predator hunting!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I was hoping Randy would reply. I am just getting started my self into calling. I have hunted song dogs with dogs. I think every geography is different, when reading the coyote hunting forums many will continue to call, and wait for ten minutes after shooting a dog, it happens enough for them that a second dog shows up.

It seems to me most dog hunters only give a stand 15 to 20 minutes if nothing shows up they move to the next stand. In my area it doesn`t mean a dog didn`t come in but maybe just not able to see it.

I believe being a novice at this calling I have only tried 4 stands and zip nada nothing. Without some kind of snow cover darn near impossible to set up a stand in the woods I hunt and see anything coming. I will play it cool until we get some of that ugly white stuff.

What I have learned is it is much easier to get permission to hunt song dogs if I call versus running dogs. Many people have the belief that by running dogs thru there property it chases the deer out. If they only knew what the song dogs do to there precious deer, it would change many minds in my opinion.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

What I have learned is it is much easier to get permission to hunt song dogs if I call versus running dogs. Many people have the belief that by running dogs thru there property it chases the deer out. If they only knew what the song dogs do to there precious deer, it would change many minds in my opinion.

X2
    Hopefully Jeff Hansen jumps in soon. He also puts a lot of song dogs down!

Jon Stevens
    Northfield, Wi

1.) I wait at least 2 or 3 days on a set. I will call in the general area a few nights in a row though. All depends. I don’t think there is a general rule. It’s all personal preference.

2.) Keep calling.

As Randy said scent control, wind direction and killing the yote are key. They are already hard enough to kill. Try not to educate them. The area I hunt sees a lot of other hunters. By the end of January they are extremely hard to call in.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Quote:

1.) I wait at least 2 or 3 days on a set. I will call in the general area a few nights in a row though. All depends. I don’t think there is a general rule. It’s all personal preference.

2.) Keep calling.

As Randy said scent control, wind direction and killing the yote are key. They are already hard enough to kill. Try not to educate them. The area I hunt sees a lot of other hunters. By the end of January they are extremely hard to call in.

From what I have read Coyotes have a about a 4-5 mile home range. Calling same area multiple times if no dogs come in I don`t feel is an issue. But as Randy stated if one is shot or missed weeellll that would be a good time to let the area rest.

postmaster

Another thing in addition to changing location meaning call from a different corner of the field. Is change the sound you are using try rodent squeels or k-nine puppies if you were able to call a critter in and not kill him. As stated NEVER call with a bad breeze because a coyotte has twice the nose as a deer and they won’t hesitate to make tracks if they get a tiny wiff of you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.