coyotes or wolves in pic???

• coppertop
    Central MN

After knowing 100% I have wolves on one property I hunt I’m hoping they’re not on both. My guess is that these are coyotes but wondering if some gurus might be able to 100% identify these. Just thought a pic with multiple dogs was not likely with coyotes as I mostly see only single animals at a time. Reguardless these are large dogs. The deer pic is for size reference. Thanks in advance, Randy

jeff_hansen

I can’t say that I’m 100% sure, but they look a little too big to be coyotes?

coppertop
    Central MN

Now that I look at them again they do look bigger.

rdmil

I am about 90 percent sure they are wolves.. One look at the size and 2 if you look at there snouts they are awfully white compared to a normal coyote which is way more brown usually

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I personally haven’t seen any wolves while hunting but have seen a lot of ‘yotes. Those look way too big for coyotes so I will say they are wolves. From the pictures, it looks like the coyote/wolf stands about 1/3-1/2 the way up the bucks belly which I think makes it too tall to be a coyote.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

Definately wolves. Man them things are big.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

I agee, they look to damn big to be yotes. What do the tracks look like? A wolf and coyote track are very different.

robstenger
    Northern Twin Cities, MN

I say Wolf also, especially the 2nd pic.

jeff_hansen

How big are the tracks… that would tell you for sure. Wolf tracks are noticeably larger. I found this on the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Website…

Size is a key difference between coyotes and wolves. Coyotes range from 3.5 to 4.5 feet long, 16 to 20 inches high at the shoulder and 20 to 50 pounds. This is about half the size of a wolf. Coyotes tend to have gray or reddish brown fur with rusty colored legs, feet, and ears, and whitish fur on the throat and belly. Their ears are pointed and relatively long, and the muzzle is pointed and petite. The track size is about 2.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide. Coyotes tend to carry their tail held below the back line. The tail may or may not be black tipped and is less than 18 inches long. In contrast, wolves have many color variations but tend to be buff-colored tans grizzled with gray and black (although they can also be black or white). Their ears are rounded and relatively short, and the muzzle is large and blocky. Wolves generally hold their tail straight out from the body or down. The tail is black tipped and over 18 inches long. A wolf track size is about 4.5 inches long and 3.5 inches wide.

Here’s the link for reference… kind of interesting
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service – Gray Wolf Q and A’s

coppertop
    Central MN

Str8, I did not get a chance to look at any tracks on this piece as the new snow covered them up. I do have wolves on my other piece as well and yes the tracks are big. About the size of a baseball.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

OK, I will be the dissenter. In my book, those are yotes. Looking at the snout in the second pic…it is waaaaay to short to be a wolf. Coloring is 100% yote. I would expect more grey in the wolf. And it’s not there. Those are some big yotes! I saw one about 10 feet away on the opener of ML season. Looked to be about that size. Biggest I have seen on the hoof….er…paw!

I cannot be 100% sure, but 99% of me says yote. We got some in Pine City that we saw last year that were huge! But still yotes.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Let’s try this…..
    What do you think this is? Does this match the animal seen?
    Sorry about the clarity…

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Or do these?
    Look at the white on the chin.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

OK, I will be the dissenter. In my book, those are yotes. Looking at the snout in the second pic…it is waaaaay to short to be a wolf. Coloring is 100% yote. I would expect more grey in the wolf. And it’s not there. Those are some big yotes! I saw one about 10 feet away on the opener of ML season. Looked to be about that size. Biggest I have seen on the hoof….er…paw!

I cannot be 100% sure, but 99% of me says yote. We got some in Pine City that we saw last year that were huge! But still yotes.

I blew up the Cam pic and pasted a Wolf pic next to it. I agree with Tuck I think those are big Coyotes…Head, snout, neck,are not right. I have seen TOO MANY Wolves… During the Fall/Winter the Wolves are even darker Grey to jet Black.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

As Wats would probably agree…these coyotes put on a ton of hair for the winter, and are much smaller in the body than they would appear! I think that is why a lot get wounded and not killed by hunters. If any of you would like to get these numbers reduced, let me know. I have 11 days off over Xmas and have electronic calls and multiple weapons.

birddog
    Mn.

Those are yotes. The orange color gives them away. They do look “big”, pictures can be decieving. If you get a pic of a wolf in that same spot you’ll notice just how much bigger they are, not only height but overall. In the pick of the single yote you can see how thin the legs are, especially the fronts. Wolves have very thick legs, noticably larger.

Good pics. What happened to the pics between the 2nd and third pic? Something else moved through there, from the looks of the additional tracks a few animals.

BIRDDOG

coppertop
    Central MN

The landowners grandson had a group of 9 of these come by him in the middle of Novemeber. I’ve never heard of a group of yotes with that many traveling together. That’s why I’m now leaning towrards wolves?????

timdomaille
    Rochester Mn

If you compare the picture of the deer related to the tree and look at the first picture of the animal, it is a yote. Smaller than the deer by far. A wolf woulf be much taller. You can also see a little mainge on the tail. IMO!

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Interesting post…

I vote coyote. The legs look too rusty colored to me to be a wolf. The ears are pointy and the muzzle looks petite and pointed too. The tail also looks too short to be a wolf and is being carried below the back line (wolves generally carry their tail straight out or down).

The young buck in the picture is probably around 36 inches high at the shoulder. The canine pictured is at least 12 inches below that which would make it around 24 inches tall which is more in line of a coyote than a wolf.

It’s not uncommon to see two coyotes together – usually a male and female (they mate for life). It’s not common but they will also hang out and hunt together in packs.

Here’s an excellent video of a coyote and a wolf walking together.

WOLF and a COYOTE

woodenfrog
    se mn

My first thought was definitely a yote.Wolves are bigger yet.

gregh
    s.e. minn

Quote:

The landowners grandson had a group of 9 of these come by him in the middle of Novemeber. I’ve never heard of a group of yotes with that many traveling together. That’s why I’m now leaning towrards wolves?????

coyotes…100% 2 winters ago I called in a group of 8 yotes, so they will run in a pack at times. Wish I’d see it more often.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

My gut said Yote initially. However, since I have NO experience with wolves, I didn’t want to say anything more stupid than normal….

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I’d put money down that they are called Brush Wolves. It is a cross between Coyote and Timber Wolf. They are pretty common around here. They are bigger than Yote but not as tough as wolves.

caincando1
    Dodge Center, MN/Alma,WI

We don’t have wolves down here, eell at least not yet. So I have no reference for wolves. After compating them to the size of the deer, they are small than my originaly reaction. Probably yotes or maybe a cross. The tracks never lie.

swimingjig
    Waumandee, WI

I still think they are wolves but if they are coyotes they are very big yotes. I don’t think I would want a group of them responding to my calls.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I have called and hunted coyotes in several western states as well as in WI. I have also seen wolves up close.
    While I wasn’t going to voice my opinion on this, I will agree with Tuck and say those are coyotes.
    After spending most of my time calling coyotes out west, and then seeing coyotes from the midwest, the northern ones are HUGE
    The color and face are characteristic of coyotes, but the size does throw things off a little.
    Coyotes will and do travel in packs, just like wolves.
    They are definitely nice looking and I would love to see one of them coming in to a call

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Quote:

You can also see a little mainge on the tail.

That was my first thought when I saw the tail. But, the rest of the fur looks pretty good so it could just be matted with burrs. Hopefully it isn’t mange, that is a cruel death for any animal.

coppertop
    Central MN

Am, Do you happen to know if a wolf can get mange too?

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Nice site Tuck. I about puked.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.