Finally Pulled The Yote Trigger

• tbird171
    Winona, MN

Started with a full moon/partial clearing last saturday night, so my nephew and I headed for a couple spots. First valley, no response or visual. Second location was a creek bottom with a bean field bordering. Howled, rabbit distress…no response. Tried a challenge call, still no response. Forty minutes worth and as I went from a laying position to a sitting position, noticed a siloutte several hundred yards out on the other side of the field. Scoped him out to definitely be a coyote. He headed down wind and angled towards me. Lip squeaked him a little closer, barked to stop him, cross hairs on him, pukawwww! After the flash of fire, took him about 3 seconds to go 300 yards back into the woods. Boy is it tough to determine depth perception at night! I was guessing 200 yards…not even close, more like 100 yards when I paced it off! Time for a rangefinder. My nephew actually had the better angle, but never seen him coming or going, sneaky little rascals!
    Headed for one last spot, called the same routine, 30 minutes later and finishing with a challenge call, the valley lit up about 75 yards from my nephew. Sounded like one big male and a couple of females/younger dogs. Never got them to show themselves, and the snowy skies killed the moon light.
    What an adrenaline rush, think I’m hooked. Now I just need a rifle that shoots flat from 50 yards to 500 yards !

big_g
    Isle, MN

TBIRD, SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST !!! let me know when you find that rifle …

big g

big_g
    Isle, MN

TBIRD, SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST !!! let me know when you find that rifle …

big g

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nice report, sorry to hear about the miss

Last Wednesday they shot 4 by my house. They were at it again on Saturday but I am not sure how they did. They were taking pictures by my driveway. They had two that even suprised me how big they were.

scottsteil
    Central MN

Nice report, sorry to hear about the miss

Last Wednesday they shot 4 by my house. They were at it again on Saturday but I am not sure how they did. They were taking pictures by my driveway. They had two that even suprised me how big they were.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Just wondering what kind of gun you were using? Hopefully me and wat’s will get a few the next couple of days

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Just wondering what kind of gun you were using? Hopefully me and wat’s will get a few the next couple of days

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Night hunting does tend to make depth perception a little tricky That is one reason I like to stick with daylight calling. Plus, like you found out, they sneak up on you pretty easy in the dark. At least you had some luck

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Night hunting does tend to make depth perception a little tricky That is one reason I like to stick with daylight calling. Plus, like you found out, they sneak up on you pretty easy in the dark. At least you had some luck

tbird171
    Winona, MN

Using a .243 I picked up from Blue Fleck…wasn’t the gun

tbird171
    Winona, MN

Using a .243 I picked up from Blue Fleck…wasn’t the gun

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.