Powering Up the new Competitor Tiller (175/185)

• Walleye Hungry

I have officially decided to order a brand new 2020 competitor tiller. With evinrude out the door now (not that i would get one anyway), i have three options i am trying to decide between. Looking at the Yamaha, Suzuki or the Mercury 90HP tiller.

I am literally up in the air on what is the “right” choice here. Has anyone done research between the 3 recently? Looking to cut down the learning curve here quick.

Also one thing that should be factored in is the upgraded tiller handle for all 3 motors. Do some come with it as stock or are they all add ons? Price difference?

Just looking for a little insight and help. Thanks in advance guys.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have owned both Mercury and Yamaha outboards on boats (currently have a 2015 4-stroke Merc). My parents have had a Suzuki 4-stroke for years. I have not experienced an issue with mine nor have they with theirs.

Whatever you decide on, I recommend the max HP that the boat allows.

dairycat

That boat with a Yamaha 90 SHO would be great. But they are all really nice these days. I’m a Yamaha guy…

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

At the 90hp level, they all ship as “remote” motors, and the tiller handle is mounted later.

There are multiple handle options available, depending on whether or not you want a steering-lock system installed. Uflex offers the old Mertens Titan system for Mercury, Yamaha & Suzuki: https://uflexusa.ultraflexgroup.com/en/catalogue/zero-torque-feedback-tiller-steering-systems/0A7-1/index.html

Mercury now offers (2) different tiller handles, the Big Tiller that has been out for 10-12 years, and the “new” handle released earlier this year. https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/news/mercury-unveils-all-new-tiller-for-40-115hp-outboards/

Sorry to add more options, but there are choices to look at.

HRG

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

There isn’t a bad choice in previous mentioned options. However, you might be thinking of who your “go to” service folks are and the brand they support.
    If you travel much, that also can be of consideration.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

^^^^^what he said^^^^^
    I have owned 2 Suzuki 115 over the past 12 years and love them.

Tom schmitt

I know if I went with Merc I would add the electronic throttle control.
    Adjusting engine speed 10 rpm is awesome.
    I’m pretty sure the other brands have the same option.

hillhiker
    SE MN

If you go with a Merc make sure you get the new handle. It doesn’t have the issue of the friction adjust coming loose, and the handle falling all the way down every time you let go. It will also come standard with troll control. If you’re a cold weather fisherman you can also add a heated grip. One other nice feature of the new handle is the built in warning lights if you have a issue on the water. It will at least give you an idea of whats going on instead of only having a horn scream at you.

The engines are all good so definitely pay close attention to what you have for local support in case something does fail.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.