Post-trip Observations & question: Tire, seat, Prop, Linecounter

• acarroline

Brought the boat to NE SD for our 4th of July trip to see family and got out fishing a few times. Seems like each time out I learn more or have some questions to learn more.

Shredded a fairly new trailer tire on the interstate on the way. Seems there was debris in the road as a semi passes shortly after I started changing the tire and also shredded a tire in the same spot. I used my f150 jack and put it on the frame behind the tire, only to find at full extension it was an inch or so short. The jack is too tall to put on the cross section of my bunk trailer as it won’t fit underneath. Luckily I had a couple small 2×6’s to put under the jack. Where should you place the jack for a single axel trailer tire change?

Had an issue with a boat seat and am not sure what I need to replace. A guest was moving the seat and once removed it had a bent pole/shaft and wouldn’t go back in. What am I dealing with here (Picture)?

New stainless prop got it’s first use, I gained about 2 m/ph top end, felt like the boat got to plane quickly, and controlled better at high speeds. Could be placebo effect, who knows.

I have 3 Abu Garcia Digital Line Counter (DLC) reels. One worked fine, one had the piece that moves and guides the line on to the spool come loose (fixed this). The last one turns on, lights up, just doesn’t give me any readings for line going out or in, stays at 0. Took the battery out and replaced, same thing. Almost like it’s locked. Any ideas?

We caught fish each day and had decent weather, dodging some rain each afternoon. Good numbers of walleye and perch but nothing of great size. Always good to get out fishing.

Attachments:
    1. seat-1-scaled.jpg

2. seat-2-scaled.jpg

tim hurley

I have AAA and pay the extra money for ‘RV’ which covers trailer tires. Did have them change a tire before, better than me doing it! My brand new rig did not come with a spare tire, I was surprised, complained, so they threw one in.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I only realized 3 years after owning my current boat that my lug nut wrench for my truck tires did not fit the lug nuts on my trailer tires. Luckily, I found out about that at home when the boat/trailer was in the garage and a stem valve had gone bad. Added a 4-way tire iron to the truck after that discovery.

Could have been a lot worse had a flat occured out on the road somewhere.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I keep telling myself I’m going to add a bottle jack to things I put in the truck for emergencies, I almost always have a couple 2x4s in the truck bed. Sounds like you picked a decent spot to jack it up. The SS prop did what it should. Sorry no help on the other stuff other than your seat pole is trash it looks like.

acarroline

I only realized 3 years after owning my current boat that my lug nut wrench for my truck tires did not fit the lug nuts on my trailer tires. Luckily, I found out about that at home when the boat/trailer was in the garage and a stem valve had gone bad. Added a 4-way tire iron to the truck after that discovery.

Could have been a lot worse had a flat occured out on the road somewhere.

Yes, no doubt! I have a stowable 4 way lug wrench in the truck, enclosed trailer, and boat.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I bring a regular floor jack on every trip I go if it’s more then a hour away, and a impact. I have never regretted that decision

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

I bring a regular floor jack on every trip I go if it’s more then a hour away, and a impact. I have never regretted that decision

This. I have a 3 ton jack that has a nice case that actually fits nicely under my rear seat in a Chev 1500 Crew. I have a socket for both the truck & Trailer in my tool bag that also goes with on trips. Lastly, The NOCO GB50 I got for Christmas last year is also in that tool bag. Only thing I don’t have but wish I did is a cordless impact.

B-man

I’ve never used one, but always thought these drive on jacks would be cool, fast and easy.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20240708-111654.png

Baitwaster
    South metro

Got myself a “road tub” – 2×6 blocks, small floor jack, cross bar for lugs, pre-packed bearings, rubber gloves, pliers, hammer, screwdrivers…

…with the hope I never need it

zooks

Got myself a “road tub” – 2×6 blocks, small floor jack, cross bar for lugs, pre-packed bearings, rubber gloves, pliers, hammer, screwdrivers…

…with the hope I never need it

I did the same and have had to use it, thankfully in a parking lot vs a busy shoulder, but absolutely worth it.

Gregg Gunter

I carry a small floor jack and folding lug wrench. They fit in a toolbox behind the front seat. Had to use them when the boat was only 2 years old.

Ron F
    Rochester MN

Have any of you had to use your floor jack while not on a paved surface? Years ago I remember my father trying to use one a gravel should and he said the boat axle kept slipping off the jack because a floor jack needs to be able to roll towards the lifting point as it goes up. If the jack can’t roll the lift point rotates and can slip out from under the axle. He quit carrying a floor jack after that.

I didn’t witness it but that’s what he told me.

A bottle jack or scissor jack goes straight up but a floor jack goes up in an arc if it can’t roll across the floor.

Ripjiggen

I use one of these and they work slick, but I have a dual axle trailer.

As far as the reel goes I would contact pure fishing for a replacement.

Seat post replacement should be easy to find online on Amazon.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0580.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Have any of you had to use your floor jack while not on a paved surface? Years ago I remember my father trying to use one a gravel should and he said the boat axle kept slipping off the jack because a floor jack needs to be able to roll towards the lifting point as it goes up. If the jack can’t roll the lift point rotates and can slip out from under the axle. He quit carrying a floor jack after that.

A bottle jack or scissor jack goes straight up but a floor jack goes up in an arc if it can’t roll across the floor.

They have a wide enough top plate that I’ve never had a single issue. Only needs to lift a couple inches at most. If you were going higher I would get it. A bottle jack also puts you in a spot because it wants to lift perfectly vertical, where as a trailer being jacked on one side won’t lift perfectly vertical which then puts a side load on a spot of the bottle. But both typically work in a pinch. Just use them wisely

MX1825

B-man I have one of those. It doesn’t work on my single axle trailer with my Skeeter. The boat is too heavy and that jack unit just slides on the blacktop.
    Don’t ask me how I know. doah
    It would probably work on my 145 Alumacraft.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

New stainless prop got it’s first use, I gained about 2 m/ph top end, felt like the boat got to plane quickly, and controlled better at high speeds. Could be placebo effect, who knows.

My truck always runs just a little bit better after an oil change smash

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Bottle Jack never leaves the truck anymore. It’s not a tiny one, but not obnoxiously large to have in a tote with an impact and some chunks of 2×4 and 4×4.

I also have a few screw drivers, a hammer, a vice grip, a booster pack, and tow strap in the same tote that never leaves the truck (except for charging the booster pack).

It’s extremely rare to need anything, but I’d rather have it with and not need it then need it and not have it. I’ve also helped other people in a tough spot as well when I can

B-man

B-man I have one of those. It doesn’t work on my single axle trailer with my Skeeter. The boat is too heavy and that jack unit just slides on the blacktop.
    Don’t ask me how I know. doah
    It would probably work on my 145 Alumacraft.

Good to know waytogo (it will save me some time and money lol)

Another useful thing to everyone is a tire plug kit and a little 12v “cigarette” plug air compressor. They’ve saved the day for me more than once and take up very little room.

The big name tool companies make similar units that run on batteries, but on a seldom used tool you can’t go wrong with something that plugs into your truck or boat.

isu22andy

I robbed a scissor jack out of an old car trunk , and have a 4 way in my truck at all times for the boat . Takes up minimal room .

Gregg Gunter

Tire plugs work. I have them in the toolbox that I carry. A tire inflator is a good idea, probably have to get one.

Scenic

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ron F wrote:</div>

They have a wide enough top plate that I’ve never had a single issue. Only needs to lift a couple inches at most. If you were going higher I would get it. A bottle jack also puts you in a spot because it wants to lift perfectly vertical, where as a trailer being jacked on one side won’t lift perfectly vertical which then puts a side load on a spot of the bottle. But both typically work in a pinch. Just use them wisely

I have had to use my floor jack a couple times and have never had an issue either. Floor jack and impact wrench sure makes short work out of changing tires.

Gregg Gunter
    acarroline

I use one of these and they work slick, but I have a dual axle trailer.

As far as the reel goes I would contact pure fishing for a replacement.

Seat post replacement should be easy to find online on Amazon.

Messaged Pure Fishing on the reel and stopping by the local boat dealer that services my rig for the seat pedestal.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.