pork smokers…..

• acarroline

I do “poor mans burnt ends” with chuck roast fairly often. Never understood the terminology as Chuck costs more per lb than brisket…but I digress. Heavy Salt_Pepper-Garlic rub, Smoke at 250-275 until IT 160-170, wrapped in a tin with beef broth until about 190, cubed, sprinkle brown sugar (not much) and favorite BBQ, mix it up, leave in tin but uncovered and kick the temp to 350 until carmelized (usually about 30-45 minutes).

That sounds delicious, I’m going to have to try that soon.
    [/quote]

Hardest part is not eating most of it while cubing and trimming :). Enjoy

IceNEyes1986
    Harris, MN

Anyone do a chuck roast on the smoker? Wife pulled one out yesterday and was gonna put it in the crockpot and do a Mississippi style roast, but I decided to try it out on the smoker tonight when I get home. Was gonna do it to an internal temp of about 185-190, didn’t want it to be pulled like pork, rather more of a brisket consistency for slicing. Any tips, I’d take as it’s my first one.

I have done a couple Chuckies on the smoker, but made poor mans burnt ends with them. They are great as well. I would think that those temps would be great for slicing. Report back!

ThunderLund78

Just did a poor man’s brisket with a chuck – turned out AMAZING and it’s done in about half the time – still a full day deal, but a 4-lb chuck roast is a lot quicker than a bigger brisket.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Out hear smoking my chuck roast and to the south of me I see this. Huh. Better not mess up me meat or spill my drink.

Attachments:
    1. 5E949E70-36C6-4E8A-ACD4-A904467FACCB-scaled.jpeg

Justin riegel

John pork butts in a slow cooker is fantastic! They turn out great you just arent getting any smoke which isnt a huge deal, but its so dang easy!
    I generally dont sauce my pork butts but I have it out if people want to add some. I saw yellow mustard mentioned. I really enjoy the bark that I get when I use spicy brown mustard and then generously season it. I dont think the mustard is necessary, but the color is fantastic and it does help bind the seasonings along with the vinegar that is in it will help break down the fat.

I do modified version of this I smoke my in the smoker until 160-165 then pull it out and put in a crockpot for about 8 hours on low. I put a small amount of apple juice down before putting the brisket in.

Never need any BBQ as all the juices are retained and after the 160 temp on the smoke the meat really does take in any more smoke.

CaptainMusky

after the 160 temp on the smoke the meat really does take in any more smoke.

This is what a lot of people either forget or do not know. Meat can only take on so much smoke so this notion of low and slow for hours on end is a fallacy.

picklerick
    Central WI

I think there’s truth to both points. You definitely need low and slow to render fat and connective tissue slowly enough so you don’t dry out the meat. I smoke meats until the bark is set the way I like it and the exterior fat is tacky and well rendered. You should be able to poke your finger through the fat cap and leave a spot there. Connective tissues don’t begin turning to collagen until 160F, so it’s usually past that on the exterior. Then I finish in the oven at about 275. Final temps are just guidelines to me. I use a probe thermometer, toothpick or skewer to test tenderness. I go by tenderness because one brisket, slab or butt may be tender and juicy at 192 and another has to get to 205. Briskets are easier to tell by their jiggle when they’re just right. Resting for at least an hour will be that much better. This is tricky when you’re at a gathering and Uncle So And So has asked when the brisket will be ready ten times already.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I do modified version of this I smoke my in the smoker until 160-165 then pull it out and put in a crockpot for about 8 hours on low. I put a small amount of apple juice down before putting the brisket in.

I might have to try this method or picklerick’s. My fam just isn’t into the smoke so much anyway.

picklerick
    Central WI

My wife isn’t so much into the smoke like I am. I do have problems eating some leftover proteins, particularly smoked pork butt and any type of chicken. If it’s doused in a wet sauce, like chicken salad or drowning in BBQ sauce, I might choke it down. Because of this I usually just braise pork shoulder in my dutch oven. Chunk it up in 2-3″ cubes and season it however you like, put the lid on, and let it ride at about 300F until it’s super tender. Usually only a few hours. I think because it’s basically submerged in pork fat that it keeps oxygen from changing the meat’s flavor. I only recently discovered that this is called “warmed-over flavor” and it’s due to oxygen changing the flavor of the fatty acids in a protein.

https://www.seriouseats.com/what-is-warmed-over-flavor-leftover-chicken-meat

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Pork belly is where it’s at! Yum

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

Yes, I agree. The pork belly was yummy! I was gonna say, too, that after doing two batches of pork butts on my smoker, I think I prefer to not wrap them, I think they get a better bark on them if you leave them unwrapped. I just spritzed them every so often with my patent pending Cherry Pepsi- apple cider vinegar spray and they come out bomb. Use that stuff on my ribs, too, which I’m smoking as we speak. Wonder if eating too much smoked food can give you cancer?

Attachments:
    1. E05176EF-26A3-44AA-8C67-60FF2AAA77A2-scaled.jpeg

Denny O
    Central IOWA

If I wrap, I wrap in red butcher paper.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Yes, I agree. The pork belly was yummy! I was gonna say, too, that after doing two batches of pork butts on my smoker, I think I prefer to not wrap them, I think they get a better bark on them if you leave them unwrapped. I just spritzed them every so often with my patent pending Cherry Pepsi- apple cider vinegar spray and they come out bomb. Use that stuff on my ribs, too, which I’m smoking as we speak. Wonder if eating too much smoked food can give you cancer?

Probably, but so will all the chemicals they pump in to all our foods from the stores. Just enjoy it while it lasts.
    That food looks incredible

Jimmy Jones

Wonder if eating too much smoked food can give you cancer?

That’ll likely depend on who you ask. It wasn’t all that many years ago that sugar and charcoal grilled foods could lead to cancer. So, who really knows. I don’t lose any sleep over it. And at my age I don’t pay much attention to what’s being spread around about what to eat and not eat. If I like it, I’ll enjoy it. If I really like it, I’ll probably over-indulge in it.

JEREMY
    BP

The smoked meat may not give you cancer but the cherry pepsi will. Thats why I use Dr Pepper.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

The smoked meat may not give you cancer but the cherry pepsi will. Thats why I use Dr Pepper.

I was looking for a can of Dr. Pepper in the fridge and could only find one old can of cherry pepsi, so that’s what I got. I had an Arnold Palmer with about 3 shots of Kentucky goodness mixed with it, was gonna use that, but I needed libations during grilling.

CaptainMusky

Living gives you cancer. It used to be butter was bad for you and you should use fake butter. Now butter in moderation is better for you than that soy based crap.
    They change their mind on everything.

Jimmy Jones

I don’t know about ya’ll but I’m well into my 70’s. I’m closer to dead than not.
    I’m doing and eating and drinking what I enjoy. Period. And if that croaks me before somebody else thinks it should have because I was still somewhat active, that’ll just be a blessing for me not having to give up those things because more “old” years, doctors and all their meds, and family, have stuffed me in some care facility where I haven’t got any freedom. I prefer to die while enjoying my life.

So…. if smoked meats are going to cause some cancer that eats me up, fine. I love smoked pork. I love smoked beef. I love smoked venison. I love smoked fish. I love butter. I love sugar. I love a couple beers. I love a couple fingers of good bourbon. I also like fresh veggies and fruits so that’ll help negate the stuff the doc doesn’t like me to enjoy. But I am not going to give up my smoked foods for anyone.

CaptainMusky

Jimmy I live my life like you. I’m going to eat and drink what I like and not apologize for it. You could get killed in a car wreck or plane crash so what did all that healthy eating get you?

Mike Schulz
    Osakis/Long Prairie

I’m 72 and I agree with Jimmy too… hell getting married can get ya dead!!! jester

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I’m 72 and I agree with Jimmy too… hell getting married can get ya dead!!! jester

rotflol rotflol oh Mike!!!!! whistling

CaptainMusky

I didnt have any grey hair when I met my wife. Just sayin’

JEREMY
    BP

I grew watermelon radishes that turned out way spicier the I thought they would be so the kids wont eat them. I decided to pickle them cause on tv they are always putting weird pickled poop on smoked meat tacos and sammies. Anyone ever try it.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I didnt have any grey hair when I met my wife. Just sayin’

We didn’t either,
    But,
    SWMBO turned gray before I did! What does that tell ya? rotflol rotflol rotflol

Viewing 26 posts - 31 through 56 (of 56 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.