How long before it goes back down?

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I looked at this graph on Rivergages.com:

Year-to-date

There are two peaks on this graph (so far!), one in March and one in July. It looks like the rate that the water level drops is the same for both peaks. In other words, the slope of the graph is the same. If this is true, it’s going to take a month to get back down to normal pool? Sometimes science is depressing.

Rootski

walleyeben
    Albertville,MN

Pre rut should be in full swing by then how depressing!!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Two variables though Root. And I’m not saying your predictions are off at all.

March had the snow melt to lengthen the duration.

Now in July, this was from rain, and it was sustained by rain. So really to get a good picture we would need to compare where the rain fell in July and last week along with how much more fell afterwords in July and what’s going to fall over the next couple weeks and where it’s going to fall.

To the above I will add that I know nothing of what I’m talking about.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i think something else that needs to be factored in, is just how wet everything is south of us. I just cannot see the dams letting the water through at anything but a slow pace.

i’m guessing it will still be up substantially until the end of october.

perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

i spent a lot of time on the water this past weekend, and there are a lot of areas that typically are dry ground, that have 5+ feet of water over it.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

I think some posts/reports/pics from guys catching Eyes out there on P-4 would instill some confidence for my scheduled trip coming up soon…

yetiwalleye

Roller gates were full up this past weekend at alma, i imagine they still are.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Quote:

I think some posts/reports/pics from guys catching Eyes out there on P-4 would instill some confidence for my scheduled trip coming up soon…

From Sunday’s update.

bosman
    DeSoto, WI

It generally doesn’t take as long for the river to drop when triggered by a rain event versus winter run off in the spring. As others have said ~ different set of variables in each of the two completely different cases that yield the same result ~ high water. Our biggest obstacle (at least on Pool 9) yet this Fall will be contending with migrating weeds. This bout of high water triggered some nasty rat nests headed south. Gonna take some moderate flow and time to clean that up. First hard frost typically triggers another bout. Heck ~ we just might be drilling through ice encased weeds come December 5th

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.