Pool 3 border water. what is technically right…

• perch_44
    One step ahead of the Warden.

I will probably be calling a CO to verify this, but according to the fishing regulations, pool 3 is border water in between the Burlington Northern, and Chicago Milwaukee RR tracks. well, they split off at the hastings train bridge, so technically, all waters from the hastings train bridge and all backwaters, in between the tracks, would be open year round.

just like on the vermillion river, it is open year round, as long as you are “east” or on the mississippi river side of the RR tracks. Example – you can fish duschanes, as long as you do not go below the Blackbird tressel. and you can fish the downriver side of Collischans train bridge.

therefore, if you put that logic into play, the hastings train bridge, would be the western border for pool 3 border waters on the main channel.

can anyone clarify this for me?

link for the rail road map.
    http://www.dot.state.mn.us/ofrw/maps/MetroRailMap.pdf

Quote:

Mississippi River (downstream of Prescott, Wisconsin and all waters between the Burlington Northern [Wisconsin] and Chicago Milwaukee [Minnesota] railroad tracks), Lake Pepin, St. Croix River, Lake St. Croix, St. Louis River, St. Louis Bay, and Superior Bay.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Anything upstream from Prescott is Minnesota inland waters.

-J.

perch_44

Quote:

Anything upstream from Prescott is Minnesota inland waters.

-J.

not according to the way the regulations are written though. it says that any waters in between the tracks are border waters. and the tracks start their split at the hastings train bridge.

this is what is confusing.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

What part of Downstream from Prescott is not clear??

I don’t know why they changed a clearly defined written definition this year. The regs have stated for years that pool 3 from the dam at Hastings to the confluence at Prescott was inland waters.

-J.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

How can it be anything other than MN? I know what the regs say, Perch is correct. Perch, can you call? This has been over before, but I would like to see what they say this time.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

This is really a no brainer. Minnesota is on both sides of the river from Prescott upstream. What “border” could there possibly be?

-J.

riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

I beleive jon is correct? 12 yrs ago a bunch of us local hastings boys tried to get that stretch open yr round and the dnr told us it was confluence in presscot to LD 2. Thank god it didnt happen at least that part of the river doesn’t get raped of prespawn fish Perch lets keep that pool on the DL…..

perch_44

Quote:

This is really a no brainer. Minnesota is on both sides of the river from Prescott upstream. What “border” could there possibly be?

-J.

then, how come the vermillion river is considered border water – as long as it is “east” of the tracks? they use the railroad tracks for the definite border on all backwaters on both sides of the river, so why would the train bridge in hastings not be the definitive border on the west of pool 3?

the way they have it written, its all waters within those tracks that are legal.

that is what makes it confusing.

Pete Bauer
    Stillwater, MN

Yep, I’ve always wondered this as well. I’d be interest on what they say and reasoning.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

then, how come the vermillion river is considered border water – as long as it is “east” of the tracks? they use the railroad tracks for the definite border on all backwaters on both sides of the river, so why would the train bridge in hastings not be the definitive border on the west of pool 3?

the way they have it written, its all waters within those tracks that are legal.

that is what makes it confusing.

Because DuShanes is south of Prescott. I think Jon is correct on this one. I have not heard of it changing this year. You are correct as far as staying above the tressle at Blackbird. Call them and find out for sure and please report back.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

If you guys have a 2009 reg book, it is clearly defined in there and has not changed.

-J.

Czech
    Cottage Grove, MN

From the 2010 Regs…

WISCONSIN–MINNESOTA
    The seasons and regulations listed below apply to the following waters: Mississippi River (downstream of Prescott, Wisconsin and all waters between the Burlington Northern [Wisconsin] and Chicago Milwaukee [Minnesota] railroad tracks), Lake Pepin, St. Croix River, Lake St.
    Croix, St. Louis River, St. Louis Bay, and Superior
    Bay.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

From the 2010 Regs…

WISCONSIN–MINNESOTA
    The seasons and regulations listed below apply to the following waters: Mississippi River (downstream of Prescott, Wisconsin and all waters between the Burlington Northern [Wisconsin] and Chicago Milwaukee [Minnesota] railroad tracks), Lake Pepin, St. Croix River, Lake St.
    Bay.

There ya have it Perchy. See ya on the diamond! Your out!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That and if you look at the INLAND REGS page 18, they clearly define the season and slot: Well, maybe not clearly, but that’s the DNR for ya!!! Kinda like your license expires in February but is good through April!!

Quote:

WALLEYE May 15, 2010- 6* (Not more than 1 walleye
    and SAUGER Feb. 27, 2011 over 20″ in possession)
    (either or combined)
    *(Minimum size limit 15″ for walleye on the inland waters of Pool 3 [dam at Hastings
    to railroad tracks on the Minnesota–Wisconsin border]).

-J.

Haas77
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

From the 2010 Regs…

WISCONSIN–MINNESOTA
    Bay.

JJ- at first blush you may appear correct. However, I gotta go with Perch on this one.

The key word here is “AND” . The regs state: “Mississippi River downstream of Prescott, WI “AND” all waters between B-N and C-M RR tracks.”

The fact that MN DNR uses the word “AND” in this regulation means that pool 3 from Prescott, WI up to Hastings train bridge would be border waters.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Then why would they mention pool 3 in the inland water regs. Believe me, it’s closed till opener in May. I’ll wager any amount you can afford to lose!!

-J.

riverwrat
    Hastings/ Northfeild,MN

Go ahead and fish it ill give Mcgowan a heads up

perch_44

Quote:

Go ahead and fish it ill give Mcgowan a heads up

oh, i would never be too concerned about him. not after i gave him 3 duck hunters on a silver platter with gross over limits, and he would have been able to catch them in the act. I even offered to pick him up in my boat at the access and drive him out to the spot.

and he refused to act on it.

just like the rest of our DNR….worthless…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Have some friends at the DNR do ya Perch?

perch_44

Quote:

Have some friends at the DNR do ya Perch?

it is just very frustrating Brian….

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Theres no fish up there any ways

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

You are right, just ask the fella that was shore fishing last week how much that 18″ sauger cost him, i know the warden has been out below LD2

red89
    Hudson

So is the rule generally “anything within railroad tracks counts as mississippi continuous season regulations”? I’m not talking about the part you guys were, just the mississippi in general (didnt want to start a new thread) I am new to fishing the river, but just wanted to make sure i wasn’t cpr fishing bass illegally on backwaters. Even if a “lake” is not even really attached to the river, but its within the railroad tracks, it has a year-round season on game fish??

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Red, yes that’s correct. Any water between the RR tracks is border water regs. (Downstream from Prescott!)

-J.

Jake Weinberger

Im new to the river this year looking into this same issue. What is officially right?!

BoatsHateMe
    Between Pool 2 and Pool 4

Jake this has been hashed out ad-nauseum. The common sense and pretty well established – upstream from Prescott to the Hastings dam is a no go. It’s MN both sides up from Prescott, not to mention it’s also upstream from Prescott. Lots of river to fish below it, take advantage of it.

Charlie W
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

Jake this has been hashed out ad-nauseum. The common sense and pretty well established – upstream from Prescott to the Hastings dam is a no go. It’s MN both sides up from Prescott, not to mention it’s also upstream from Prescott. Lots of river to fish below it, take advantage of it.

This^^^

It is brought up very often. Some people take their chances and fish between the tracks and Prescott. That is their choice. I, however, will not fish upstream of the eastern most tip of the point at the confluence in Prescott until after the second Saturday of May, when inland regs are in play.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

IF I were King, I would just make the border water rules apply up to the Hastings dam.

Clearly we as anglers can not tell the difference between “inland waters” and “border waters”.

Yeah I know this post is from 2010 and brought back to the top by an innocent question…but if it takes more then one post to clear it up, it’s not clear enough. waytogo

sji

IF I were King, I would just make the border water rules apply up to the Hastings dam.

Clearly we as anglers can not tell the difference between “inland waters” and “border waters”.

Yeah I know this post is from 2010 and brought back to the top by an innocent question…but if it takes more then one post to clear it up, it’s not clear enough. waytogo

If I was in charge things would be different, and they still wouldn’t be right.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.