Minnkota 50 power drive

• Fishon1

I am thinking about getting a Minnkota 50 powerdrive and have thought about how I would hook up my front tranducer. Since the shaft slides up and down, going through the connector, I see a problem. How have others overcome this problem. I do not want my sonar wire just hanging loose from the power head to the top. Are there clips or something that you can use to attach the wire to the shaft.

Help me out on the thought process.

Thanks

glenn-walker
    Shakopee, MN

I have a 50 power drive and just got it back from the shop. Throughtout the end of last season I couldn’t turn my motor left and eventually right. Just putting my two cents in But to hook up a transducer I put a clip on my boat where the trolling motor is, so I can control how much cord goes out. Then I wrapped it around the shaft of the motor. So When I stow it or deploy it into the water I just be careful and take my time. I also beleive that there is a picture and directions in the owners manual, that Ididn’t find till after my instalation.
    Good Luck

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

I have a Motor Guide and there is a spot at the top to run the cable thru, on the rest of the shaft I use plastic locking ties, they work great. I also like the foot pedal on the Motor guide better the pedal on the Minnkota (just my personal preference). I also saw a commercial for a new Minnkota with a built in transducer but I do not know what model it is how much thrust ect. Good Luck!

Steve Plantz
    SE MN

Hey Fishon,

here is a link to the Cabela’s online store, this page has all the Minkota Trolling motors including the new one with Universal Sonar. Hope this helps.

I can not figure out why this link came up twice, but use the one on the bottom it will take you to the right page.

<a target="_blank" href=http:// http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat21374&navAction=push&navCount=5&parentId=cat21286&parentType=subcategory > http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/index/index-display.jhtml?id=cat21374&navAction=push&navCount=5&parentId=cat21286&parentType=subcategory

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Fishon,

Here is how to rig that transducer….

First, you don’t mention the locator you plan to use. What ever one you choose, you will need a Puck transducer.

Attach the puck transducer to the motor right behind the “Fin” using a large metal hose clamp. (Any good sporting good store will have a bunch laying around) Take time to make sure that ducer is pointing straight down. Next, run the ducer wire tightly around to the top of the motor base and use a plastic wire tie to secure the wire right at the base of the shaft. Now, run that wire thought the handle. (The handle you grab when deploying the motor) Leaving about 3 inches of slack, attach the wire directly to the top of the motor shaft with a plastic wire tie. Attach it right under the motor head. The slack shoud be measured half way down the shaft. Now simply run the ducer wire back to the finder. Leave enough slack in the ducer cable to let the motor go all the way down.

Kinda hard to explain….might need to see it in person. Has been done a thousand times and works well. I’d stay away from the universal transducer for at least a year. New stuff this year…..could have problems.

Any questions, please post.

J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Fishon,

Here is how to rig that transducer….

First, you don’t mention the locator you plan to use. What ever one you choose, you will need a Puck transducer.

Attach the puck transducer to the motor right behind the “Fin” using a large metal hose clamp. (Any good sporting good store will have a bunch laying around) Take time to make sure that ducer is pointing straight down. Next, run the ducer wire tightly around to the top of the motor base and use a plastic wire tie to secure the wire right at the base of the shaft. Now, run that wire thought the handle. (The handle you grab when deploying the motor) Leaving about 3 inches of slack, attach the wire directly to the top of the motor shaft with a plastic wire tie. Attach it right under the motor head. The slack shoud be measured half way down the shaft. Now simply run the ducer wire back to the finder. Leave enough slack in the ducer cable to let the motor go all the way down.

Kinda hard to explain….might need to see it in person. Has been done a thousand times and works well. I’d stay away from the universal transducer for at least a year. New stuff this year…..could have problems. That PD50 is a proven winner in the 12 volt class. Good all around motor.

Any questions, please post.

J.

BASSTRACKER1
    Iowa

HEY I DON’T THINK YOU WILL LIKE PD50 THE POWER DRIVE USES TO MUCH BATTERY POWER IN THE RIVER !

IT USES JUICE TO TURN AND RUN THE PROP! RAN THAT MOTOR LAST SUMMER AND NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.