Strange Bluegill Bite

• birdman
    Lancaster, WI

One of the strangest bites I’ve ever seen for bluegills. Approximately 2 weeks ago an adventerous soul discovered bluegills in a shallow backwater that hasn’t produced for years. Probally because of the slightly higher water they moved from an adjacent pond to this one. After about a week the “day bite” has slowed up where its really tough to catch a fish much less a mess of fish, but, an early bite and a late bite are still going strong. In fact, some people are actually fishing by flashlight (shining on their spring bobber) and catching fish an hour before the sun comes up. I know lakes produce at night especially for crappies but I’ve never heard of anyone catching bluegills at night on the Mississippi through. Has anyone else had an expierience like this?

I wonder if its possible that the fish are moving nocturnal as a result of the increased angling pressure during the daytime. The backwater is very clear and shallow although there are plenty of weeds for them to hide in.

DJunior
    West Des Moines, IA

Birdman — fishing here in Southern Iowa on the man made lakes we catch quite a few bluegills both before the sun comes up in the morning and after the sun goes down at night. Was out about a week ago after work for a few hours and caught a mixed bag of both Crappies (8-9 inches) and Bluegills (8 inches) in a matter of 2 1/2 hours.

You by chance get to the ice fisheree at Bertrum this last weekend??

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.