Pool 2 Crash

• sawdust
    st. paul, mn

Be aware of boat chunks directly above 494 ramp. My partner and I plucked two 20 yearolds out of the water(no lifejackets) Monday afternoon about 6 o clock. They were in a small red hydroplane that hit ice and came apart. Saw some boat pieces on the way back to main channel. They were on the west side of the channel about 100 yards from the bridge.

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Good grief! Do these guys have any clue how incredibly lucky they were that you were there to save their lives?

Well done !

Rootski

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

glad to hear they we ok. congrats to you for saving the two lives. A miracle you happened to be there.

sawdust
    st. paul, mn

They were in their 20’s, indestructable (remember your younger years). The crane operator saw the whole thing and said they had been racing up and down the river. They were very thankful, water temp was 37 degrees and they wanted out.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Wow. I have seen those guys down there before. Not wearing your life jacket is freakin nuts. Cold water temps are nothing to mess with. Even after the temps come up a bit then there will be fast current to deal with most likely until mid june. Wear your life jackets. The inflatable ones are extremely comfortable and a person forgets they are even on.

Yes there is ice floating around on the river and the faster you go the better chance you have of hitting some of it. The main channel was clear from 494 to the airport today and I still smacked a pretty good chunk on the way back down. Yes plenty of guys run the river on plain this time of year including myself but understand it can be risky.

Glad you where there to pull those guys out. It sucks seeing guys dragging grappling hooks around the river bottom trying to snag a body.

WEAR YOUR LIFE JACKET. HOOK UP YOUR KILL CORD ALSO.

sawdust
    st. paul, mn

Mike, you know my fishing buddy. He said you were in the store last week. His name is Roger and he works at Joes.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I know Roger. Havent seen him on the river yet this spring. Stopped in the other day at the store to say hi and pick up some fatheads.

sawdust
    st. paul, mn

Yesterday was the first time we have been out since last December when the water froze. Sure was a long time coming. Can’t remember last time the river froze so early, really liked those warm late December and January days when you could sit down there for 2-4 hours.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Two very lucky guys. You where in the right spot to save them.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Couple of lucky fellas there!!Good work

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Wonder if these were the same 2 clowns as last fall, Mike? Those guys were pushing the limits as it was getting dark. We are looking at each other saying “Those guys are nuts!” These are 14 foot boats going 60-70mph!!

They really should have a spotter boat anytime they run those boats. It was just a matter of time…..

Not an accident in my book.

Good job saving their sorry azzes!

-J.

jakeh
    White Bear Twp

Wow! Glad I didn’t hit there pieces on my way back down last night. Couple of lucky guys.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

Wonder if these were the same 2 clowns as last fall, Mike? Those guys were pushing the limits as it was getting dark. We are looking at each other saying “Those guys are nuts!” These are 14 foot boats going 60-70mph!!

They really should have a spotter boat anytime they run those boats. It was just a matter of time…..

-J.

Guess we will know if they only show up with one boat next time. Where these the guys with the double decker boat trailer?

JasonP
    Twin Cities

you saved their lives…no doubt. nice work.

boods
    Lancaster, WI

Job well done for rescuing those guys You just can’t stress the safety issue enough!

Loose10AE

You saved our lives. Words cant describe how thankful both my friend and I are. The ice chunk came up so fast. Neither of us were hurt. Just a little shaken up.
    I know for a fact, that if you had not come up. We would have not been around today. My friend swallowed a good amount of water, and was having trouble breathing, you pulled him out first. I was just cold.
    This is the first time I have been out on the river, and my first time with out a life jacket. If anybody plans to head out onto ANY body of water without a life jacket on… Dont do it! Dont sit on the damn thing. Or stuff it away. PUT IT ON! It will save your life. Not everybody is as lucky as we are.
    Again, thank you so much for pulling us out.

foxnotch93

I was the other person in the boat at the time of the crash. I cannot thank you enough for pulling us out, as I don’t know how well we would have been able to struggle to shore. We both need not be told of the stupidity of what we were doing, as we now obviously know of it and will go on to preach the usage of lifejackets and common sense to others. I feel extremely lucky for surviving this incident, as I know how many factors were working against us. Also, this was our only time out there, so those who think they have seen us must be thinking of someone else.

Once again, thank you so much for helping us.

sawdust
    st. paul, mn

We sure are glad to hear that you both are ok. We were worried about hypothermia. Lucky no bones were broken. Saw you take off in front of us before the barge channel. When we came around the corner I could not see you and thought they must have a very fast boat. As we got closer, I first saw the gas can and slowed down because I had that” uneasy feeling” that something was wrong. My partner turned to see the gas can and yelled “quick turn there is someone drowning”. You guys were pretty spent as we hauled you in and thank God there were two of us because I don”t know if we could have lifted you alone what with the wet jeans and all. Thank you for letting us know you made it only a “little worse for wear”. Saw only a piece of your craft as we headed back to the ramp but did”t really look around because all we could think of was to get you guys some place warm. Good thing your friend was at the ramp with a warm vehicle. Once again, so glad to hear you are ok.

foxnotch93

I am quite amazed at finding this thread. Like I said, we would not be here if you had not been in the right spot. I cannot thank you enough for helping us. And we are both fine, the only harm that was done was a couple scratches and bruises to my shins from the dash.

Once again, thank you.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Welcome to the site you guys. Glad to hear you are all right.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Wow…kudos to you distraction for being there at the right time. The river is certainly nothing to fool around with…especially this time of year.

Glad to hear you guys are doing good. I bet that was a real scary moment that you will never forget!

sawdust
    st. paul, mn

Steve, this is Arnie from Distration. We were just in the right spot at the right time. In fact we had motor trouble and might have already been at the ramp when it happened. Just lucky we were there to help. Now if I could just get lucky enough to find your honey holes.

flatoutally
    MN

Quote:

I am quite amazed at finding this thread. Like I said, we would not be here if you had not been in the right spot. I cannot thank you enough for helping us. And we are both fine, the only harm that was done was a couple scratches and bruises to my shins from the dash.

Once again, thank you.

It’s a small world. Trust me.

I directed you here from S&F, and commend you for
    maturity beyond your years. Most folk your age would have run tail and hid. You made the right decision by stopping by here. Call me sometime. ‘Steams are in my blood too.

Cliff Colborn
    Rochester, MN
    507-288-5471

birddog
    Mn.

Quote:

-J.

Wow, quite the comment!! Ever been “20 years old”, ever been in a situation where you look back and say to yourself, “man I’m lucky!”??

Sounds like a couple guys found themselves in a real bad situation, sure sounds like an accident…don’t think they did it on purpose.

Sounds like these guys learned a little something from this accident, big enough to come on here and give thanks and tell us “wear your life jacket”. They learned a valuable lesson and are obviously thankful. Doesn’t seem like something “sorry azzes” would do, does it? Glad to hear you guys are all right.

BIRDDOG

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Easy there BD. I made that post assuming these guys were the same guys who run there speed boats down there like raped apes. Im my opinion, those guys are next. Still idiots in my book.

-J.

flatoutally
    MN

Quote:

….Still idiots in my book….

Sounds like you skipped the Sensitivity training prior to becoming a Moderator, Jon….

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

[quote
    Sounds like you skipped the Sensitivity training prior to becoming a Moderator, Jon….

And went right to reality training # 1. This was a sad event, but no amount of sensitivity is going to save lives or prevent these things.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

….Still idiots in my book….

There is no traing class to be a moderator. I’ll give up being a mod if I have to toss my personal opinion out the door. By the way. I’m fully aware of the fact that I’m an idiot myself. So I have no problems pointing that out to others.

-J.

BomberA

So to summarize, you can call anyone an idiot or stupid as long as they are not a moderator or site sponsor.

Glad you guys are ok and a big thumbs up to the guys how rescued you. I hope you guys continue to tell this story, espceially to young kids and new boaters to help reinterate the importance of life jackets.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.