Kicker Motors

• bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

What kind of kicker motor do you use and why? I use a Johnson 6hp and love the light weight and how slow it will troll down to.

predator_2

Hey Bill, Dad got the new 8 horse yamaha on his rig and it came with power tilt and the sail boat prop. The power tilt ROCKS!!!……It trolls down awsome….has exelent power in reverse & when you need to turn quickly It respponds as good as the 9.9 did…….also very quiet and dosn’t need any warm up time to speak of…electric start is also nice.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

He is going to be spoiled with that motor from what I’ve heard about it. Think thats the same one James has too. Sweet hey! Think Jon J bought that one too. You been out at all? Hows the wrist doing? Good to hear from you again as haven’t seen much of you since you and your Dad fished the MWC Championship and took 9th place. Congrats again.

predator_2

Wrists are alittle better……I am going goose hunting sat. …I might get to the river the next weekend though…and thanks

Anonymous

I had the same motor. Yamaha T8 4 stroke. mudnlthru owns it now he bought my rig last month. He fishes pool 4 alot so you will see im on the water. Im sure he will have plenty of good to say about it and my next one will be another Yamaha T8.

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

HEY!!!! I think Dustin has the same kicker……only his don’t work. Maybe you can e-mail him and figiure out whats wrong……..and I won’t have to listen to him urine and moan about it any longer..LOL SWANY

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Love my T-8, (My back does too!!) Like James said eariler this year, it literally made him a better fisherman. Me too.

Someone at Yamaha obviously sat down and said “I am going to design the best ever 4-stroke kicker” and actually did it!

Look at the motor, not the price tag.

J.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

Swany,

I wish I had a T-8 yamaha kicker but mine is just an old 2 cycle 6hp yamaha. I have a T-8 on order and will be running one come this spring.

See ya on the water!

Dustin

guppygetter
    Rochester, Mn.

Hi Bill

I have a Evinrude 8 four stroke and it’s works very well.

I ran Pro V’s Yamaha kicker.All I can say is,wish

I had one.

Anonymous

I had that motor (Evinrude 8 4 stroke) on my Fish Hawk in 99 and it was a good little motor but I must say the T8 does shine over that one. Especially with the power tilt and electric start. Plus it goes in reverse just as well as forward.

For a few hundred bucks more its a no brainer in my opinion.

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I had a 9.9 high thrust Yamaha with the big prop wince 1996 and thought it was the best there ever could be…quiet, smoke free, all the attributes of a nice little 4 stroke. AND THEN,,,,,I had the pleasure of fishing with James…and it was love at first sight (no..not James you guys, his Kicker motor)….but James is a great guy too!! I traded my T9.9 at Lacannes with Destry (got a great deal) and now have my very own little Yamaha T8 kicker. WHAT A SWEETHEART! As dumb as this sounds I couldn’t get enough of sitting back there that first day out and just running it. It idles at about 500rpm in gear, and yet has what appears to be as much thrust as the 9.9 when revved up. I triple the vote for this motor, Yamaha really did their homework on this one.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

That T8 is one of those products that is so sweet, so well designed, that its a pure pleasure to operate. And Jon stated, the added control, both speed and directional, makes me a bit better on the water. And nothing trolls slower. I actually have my idle bumped up slightly to match the present current levels to basically hover in the current at idle-in gear RPM’s.

Plus its tiny… add in trim and tilt and the fact that I don’t have to listen to that incredibly annoying “merc rattle” and I’ll never order a boat without one.

‘Nuff said.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

You may notice by my lack of response what I feel about my 9.9 4 stroke, “Black” brand. (I have to be careful….) But, I have to be honest, and I owe it to you guys looking at motors for next year. The “Black” motor was VERY cold blodded. It had a hard time trolling down to a managable RPM without killing, it vibrated much more than the others I have seen, and it was noisier (No comments James!!!!). For the money, in all honesty, the Yamaha is the way to go. If money is a concern, the Suzuki 9.9 4 stroke electric start is the ABSOLUTE best in my opinion! Hougie, you remember that little gem? It is very light, quiet, reliable, and a real pleasure to own!

Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Tuck

What? Uuuhhhh…. could you repeat that. I couldn’t quite make out what you said. Musta’ been that dang “black” motor idling in the background!…LOL

Hougie’s sitting next to me…. in tears from laughter….LOL

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I wasn’t going to respond but I have a story…I will not use names…It was during an MWC last year..I was rigging with my 9.9 white motor (Suz) opps no names..and a nice big Glass

boat (Ran) came trolling by and I proceeded to mouth off ..I said nice boat when are you going to get a four stroke kicker

If looks could kill well I won’t be writing this…He said this is a four stroke (Rude) and I yelled back WHAT Can”t hear you!!!!

I have used the New 8 HP Yamaha and Have to say it is very nice..the auto trim is great…but it is louder than mine…Wow sure got windy…………I think yamaha or Suzuki will always be on my rigs…

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

I have a Evinrude 6hp nice litlle motor the only thing that I don’t like is its not oil Injected. any one selling a good four stroke let me know

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.