fishing line ??

• Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

am in the process of changing out the lines on my jigging and casting open face outfts. have heard some discussion on super braids. What are some of your favorite lines for jigging and casting, and line weights. do you tie a florocarbon to the end of it to then tie you lure onto ?
    or just tie onto the superbraid. these lines do not seem very invisible. thanks Jack.

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

For vertical jigging I use Spiderwire Stealth Hi-Vis Yellow in the 8lb, casting jigs I still use Berkeley XT Solar in 6 lb (no longer available) . The high vis green is the best mono I have used for casting jigs. Luckily, I still have half of a 3000 yd. spool I bought last year. A word of warning, Berkeley’s replacement for XT Solar is Iron Silk and it is not very usable when the temperatures drop. Stren makes a Hi-Vis yellow which is not bad. Dragging cranks I use Spiderwire Stealth in 6 lb.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

For Hi-Vis line I have been using the Berkley Sensation 8lb test 6lb diameter in the solar color. The only place I have been able to get this line is at Mills Fleet farm in Rochester. I have not been able to find it in Gander or Cabelas . This line has performed very well for me this season.

Zamer, your right about that Iron Silk! I can’t stand it myself, to stiff and it isn’t very sensitive . Just my observation

fireflick
    Alma WI

I am a big berkley sensation man myself. I gave up on the iron silk. I started to really like it but then it got cold and the line went hay wire. I like 6 and 8lb.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

What is the purpose of using “hi-vis” line? When pitching jigs, are you watching the line for “bumps” that would indicate a strike on the fall?

I would assume that with the dirty water of the river, the color of the line wouldn’t make that much difference. However, doesn’t that get contradicted by one jig color working better than the other???

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

The hi-vis line allows us to closely monitor the sink rate of the lure and to track what is going on very precisely. When you’re fishing a 1/16 oz. head in 10″ of water you don’t “feel” the jig hit bottom, you see it when the line hesitates and bows slightly when the jig sets down.

Contridiction? I don’t think so. Fishing line is super fine… 0.008 of an inch in diameter in the case of the 6 # line that I use… when used in moving, slightly stained or cloudy water, I think assuming a walleye will be spooked or put off by a tinted thread in the water is actually quite a stretch.

And yes, jig head color can be enormously important sometimes as is the color of plastics / hair used. Dustin and I go to the extreme of sorting extra light or extra dark ringies or k-grubs from the 100 ct. bags we get and noticing that some days the fish will show a preference for one over the other. But that’s off subject.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Thanks James, that is what my thought was on it, but you verified it.

Gary

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’ve got a spool of 6 # “G Power” co-polymer line sitting here in front of me that I need to spool up and try. Anyone out there have any experience with this stuff? It’s a hi-vis yellow and made by Gamakatsu. I’ve never heard any input on it and figured I’d give it a whirl.

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

Never heard of it ..
    But if it works good let me know..
    I like the stren Hi-Vis yellow I can see it the best with these old eyes..
    But the stren has to be changed out real often because of memory..
    I could use a good alternative..
    I have heard the co-polymer is a stiffer line with more memory!!!
    Yell if it works good.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

thanks for the comments guys, anyone use PowerPro, and with the Stealth do you like to add a few feet of florocarbon leader to tie your jigs or lures to/ or not necessary ?? Jack.

adloos
    Winona, MN

I love powerpro line, very tough line. Been using it for two years now. Give it a try, i think you will be happy with it.

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

MY ROD THAT I LIKE THE BEST FOR “V”JIGGIN DOOS, 5’9” WITH YELLOW 6# FIRE LINE, I THINK I CAN GET AWAY WITH A LIGHTER JIG HEAD, AND HAVE GREAT FEEL,AND THE HIT IS JUST LIKE , WELL I STILL FELL IT THE NEXT DAY AT WORK {SORRY ABOUT THE 4 LETTER WORD}

ted-merdan

Jack – we talked at the confluence of the Croix a couple of weeks ago.

Power pro is the best vertical jigging line I have ever used – hands down. But, it’s very poor at casting/pitching jigs. If you can dedicate a reel or spool to vertical jigging run the yellow in 8# test/1# dia and you won’t be disappointed.

Otherwise I like 8/3 fireline for pitching cranks and 6/2 for all around jigging.

My $.02.

ted

Don Hanson

Jack, I have been using Power Pro for a couple years now. Overall a good line. But like fireline it is not a good cold weather line.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

I hadn’t seen an answer to the question on whether we use leaders on the super lines…I for one do not. I have only been using the superlines for pitching situations. It may sound weird, but I think that I have developed a special “Feel” with mono (Berkley Sensation)that allows me to set the hook at the right time, and improve my hook-ups. Super lines are too sensitive for me jigging and dragging. I set the hook too quickly. The only time I would vary from that is if I am dragging Dubuque rigs.
    My $.02
    Tuck

PaulV
    Eagan, MN

Jack, I like the Power Pro for vertical jigging. Also for skipping Senkos and such under docks in the summer. Strong and sensitive. I only tie on a fluorocarbon leader (with a uni to uni knot) when fishing very clear water. As previously mentioned, though, the braided lines freeze up in colder weather.

bigdog1
    NW Wisconsin

i have made the switch to using all superline now. Any time I use mono it feels like i am fishing with a piece of crap, can not feel anything, i dont use mono or flurocarbon leaders, maybe i should in some instances, i use green fireline 2/6 when sight is important, also many jigs saved on rocks as the hook will bend before the line breaks in most instances, power pro and fireline for me— hands down

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

When used in vertical presentations in deep water I completely agree with you bigdog. When casting or jigging shallow I’ll opt for the mono every time. The diameter of the line is a key component to the presentation and I am of the opinion that the braids are actually a hinderance to success and not a positive in this particular application.

eyenutz
    muscoda,wi.

has anybody tried stren powerbraid line?

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

From your experiance, why is Fireline not a cold water line?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m not sure who your question was directed at but I’ll toss out my findings…

Fireline soaks up water… and freezes. When it’s cold, the stuff is miserable to fish with. 40 degrees is a different story and then it makes a pretty decent line for vertical jigging in deeper water.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Tuck, As you get older that Fireline will come more into play as your reflexes and feel aren’t as good. [now you know what to look forward to, lol.] I’m trying the Fireline 10/4 and 8/3 and so far really like them. Nate talked me into it. Maybe he tired of kicking my behind or something. And then theres the eye sitsuation, they get older too. Are you depressed enough? Anyway, everyones comments are good to hear as things change some not only with age but also with different fishing sitsuations too. Keep the sharing coming and we will all learn somethings. Thanks, Bill

boone
    Woodbury, MN

James,

I’ve watched your video a couple of times and understand that you use the diameter of the line to slow the fall of the jig or to help sweep it along when casting the wingdams. But I don’t understand how a 0.008″ diameter mono is much different than a 0.008″ diameter Spiderwire Stealth that maintains a round diameter. True, the nylon that is used to make mono has a higher density than the ultra high molecular weight polyethylene that’s used to make the superlines but I’d think that is minor compared to the drag caused by line diameter. When using the same diameter mono and superline, do you see a big difference in how the jig swims down a break or across a wingdam? Note: I’m talking line diameter, not the pound test. The superline will have a much higher tensile strength than the mono for a given diameter.

Thanks for the input,

Boone

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Hey Boone

I don’t think there would be much of a difference, 0.008 inch diameter is 0.008″ in diameter no matter what it’s made of, in theory but in practice using 8 lb diameter braid with a 1/16th ounce jig would be awful. Just try casting the stuff… I doubt I could get half the distance I get with mono and you still have the water absorption/freezing to deal with. I’ve tried using 6 Lb diameter fireline and its completely too stiff (or maybe “heavy” is the word I’m looking for?) for use with lighter jigs. Have you EVER tried it? If not, do so. It’s not even an option in my opinion. But that’s just my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I’ve never had to compare the two James, in the application described, but it makes perfect sense to me. I’ve been spoiled enough that I’ve got most of my spinning reels spooled with both braid and mono (so many come with a spare) so I can switch between applications.

I’ve never cold weather fished much so I’ve been able to stick with small diameter superlines and be just fine, given good equipment at least…………….but what you’re saying here makes perfect sense to me! Thanks for the new nugget!!!

zamer
    Grimes, Iowa

Hi-vis line has a dual purpose. First when casting jigs, the high visibility of the line allows you to see the line and you can tell when the jig hits the bottom, very nice with light jigs. Also, line watching is an effective way to determine bites when the fish are not very aggressive. Often times you won’t feel the bite but rather see a slight movement of your line. Without the hi-vis you normally would not even know you were bit. Give the hi-vis line and try and you will never go back.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

I hear a lot of talk about Fireline, but I don’t hear much about original Spiderwire.

Do you guys have any reservations about using it? I’ve been using it for a few years now and love it.

The problems that I’ve had with Fireline is excessive fraying.

theleadsled
    Washington, Ia.

Going to have to spool up a reel with something else. I notice last year that my eyelets would freeze up more with fireline. Better be prepared and put something different on also. Thanks for the advice!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

did not really expect such a good discussion on lines, thanks all for the good answers and input. Jack.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.