Pepin

• fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Has any one know when they are running the first Barge threw pepin? I’m getting alittle antsy.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Barge traffic starts today!! in La Crosse anyway

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I haven’t seen one go through yet but I do have the perfect viewing spot on pool 8

eyebuster
    Duluth

They had meetings all last week I am sure it starts today maybe tomorrow

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I saw a tugboat clearing ice in the bay by Clinton St. this morning

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Go give em a hand wats! I need a fix!

Art

According to Winona paper, they don’t expect first barge in Winona till the week of the 25th. That came out early last week.

eyebuster
    Duluth

Just got off the phone with a reliable source and it sounds like Art is right. He anticipated the Barges to start this week but there are still worries about Ice. depending on the rain the next couple of days is depending on the traffic. Early as Sat. Late as wed is what he is saying. They have things all ready to rock just need the river to help

Art

Just read it again. Lock and dam 2 won’t be in operation till the 22nd. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it or not. Also stated that they have gone through deeper ice on Pepin.

jimt
    Sparta, WI

Drove by Genoa yesterday and it looked like they were still doing repairs on that lock also.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

Is it the first operating barge that breaks the ice or do they run a designated tow for that? Sorry, it maybe a dumb question

Thanks,
    Chris

Jerry K
    Stewartville

It is the first operating tow designated barge that breaks the ice. Actualy I don’t know myself and have always wondered! Who has the answer?

eyebuster
    Duluth

Quote:

Is it the first operating barge that breaks the ice or do they run a designated tow for that? Sorry, it maybe a dumb question

Thanks,
    Chris

Will find out in the morning and have a answer tomorrow!!

eyebuster
    Duluth

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,
    Chris

Will find out in the morning and have a answer tomorrow!!

The answer I got was no they do not have a designated test run or anything like that. they know the river well and usually will have boats out on the river every day. In a perfect world the Coast Guard would travel the river first but that does not happen. They wait until the Ice is a non factor then start barge traffic. A Tow boat Locked through Pool 7 today. Hope this answers your question

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.