Recipes

• woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

I would like to put together some recipes for curing fish and meat. I don’t like buying package stuff. I know that with just a few tips, I can make it just as good as the companies that market their stuff all over the place.
    Anyway. Recipe for hamburger Jerky? Recipe for dried fish (jerky)

The recipe that I have used over the last years is good but getting old. I just slice meat thin and soak overnight in solution of garlic salt, black pepper, soy sause and liquid hicory smoke. Put on the dehydrator and in a day, done. Pretty good but looking for more ideas for variety. Who knows, perhaps EFN can put together a cook book. This could be one of the chapters.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Have you looked into any literary direction? A study of cullinary suggestion?

herb
    6ft under

I’ve got a recipe for jerky that is very tasty. I use it for deer, beef, and beaver. I’ll try to get it to you tonight.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Would it work for sheepies Herb? I can call it “Sherky”!

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

Beaver??? With so many great choices of food in this great country, why beaver?

Of course I did hear of a guy I know who recently hunted out west for mountain lion. He shot one and they ate it.
    So many other choices. . .

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Herb, please pm it to me too.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Steve, most beaver are killed for their pelt. Eating the meat is the sportsmen like thing to do! (I think??)

Herb, please post the recipe here…

Thanks,
    Jon J.

herb
    6ft under

Steve, beaver and ground hog are two very delicious meats. Stillakid, I’ve had fish jerky, and fish sausage and I prefer the fish sausage. Something about what the spices do to the jerky doesn’t set well for me.
    Ok, here’s ya go. Follow these instructions exact.
    5 lbs. lean ground meat
    1 1/2 Tea. Morton Tender Quick Salt
    9 Tea. Table Salt
    2 Tea. Black Pepper
    2 Tea. Garlic Powder
    1 1/2 Tea. Cayenne Pepper
    1 1/2 Tea. Cardamom
    1 Tea. Margarium
    3 Tea. Accent
    1 Oz. Liquid Smoke
    1 Oz. Water
    1 Oz. Worcestershire
    Mix all ingrediants together well then mix into the ground meat thoroughly. Using a jerky shooter, lay out strips on dehydrator racks. Dry for 12-14 hours.
    Or dry in oven for 6 hours at lowest temp setting, (half way between warm and 200 degrees).
    This amount of ingrediants is measured for 5 lbs of meat.

evileye
    Milan Il

I agree Steve ,with bacon ,ham,and pork chops I wonder who was the first one to say ..hey lets eat his feet

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Thanks for the recipe. A couple of spices in there that I would not have thought of trying.
    I have eaten beaver and racoon. They are both super tasting meats. I have also tried muskrat, wasn’t too impressed with it. I used to trap and I had a hard time throwing away carcasses if the meat was edible. I actually, at the time, found a market for my coon carcasses. A local tavern put on a coon feed every year, I got 3 bucks a piece for them. That is when I averaged $30.00 for the hides.
    Anyway, any more recipes or ideas?

herb
    6ft under

Mom gave me one several years ago for making deer or beaver summer sausage in the oven. I don’t have it anymore but I’ll see if she can remember how it was made and get back to you.

stevew
    Burnsville, MN

If you check Amazon.com, you’ll find a very comprehensive Road-kill cookbook offered by Betty Crocker. Problem is that they won’t ship it north of the Mason-Dixon line.

Beef/Chicken/Pork/Fish – it’s what’s for dinner at my house!

herb
    6ft under

LOL
    Don’t knock it till you try it y’all

MONGO
    Spring Valley, Wi.

I’ve had beaver cooked for me once about ten years ago. It wasn’t to bad that I recall. It kinda tasted,well like, beaver.

herb
    6ft under

And what was that stuff that tasted like chicken?
    Oh yeah!, chicken!

ProV2
    Rochester,Mn

Hey Still-a – Sheep—-I was in Texas last week on vacation. We went to a fresh fish market on Galveston Bay to buy some shrimp for a shrimp boil. They had many differnt varietys of fresh and saltwater fish. There were some that had been shipped in from all over Salmon and Halibut from Alaska etc. etc. But not one Walleye to be found!
    Ya you guessed it they did have SHEEPHEAD only down there they call them Drum. I’m not sure why? I thought maybe because most people beat on them like a drum before they would release them.-lol
    O ya the price of fish ranged from 3 to 9 dollars a pound—except for the SHEEPDRUMS they were 99 cents a pound——Later—-v

basspack
    PdC, WI.

Sheephead are called freshwater drum down south because of the noise they make because of their ear structure. At Mobile, AL they have tours of the battleship USS Alabama and the submarine USS Drum, which is named after a sheephead .

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s what they are called in the Minnesota State record fish listing…”Drum, Freshwater” The record weight is 35lbs, 3oz. Caught on the Mississippi near Winona.

Those bigger ones really do thump!

J.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Before AND after you eat’em!!!

Thumper

herb
    6ft under

Here is the recipe for the summer sausage;
    5 lbs beef, venison or beaver
    5 tsp. Morton Tender Quick salt
    1 tsp. dry crushed red pepper
    2 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
    2 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
    1 1/2 tsp. peppercorn or 2 1/2 tsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. Hickory Smoked salt

Mix and knead. Cover and put in refrigerator and knead each day for 4 or 5 days. Divide into rolls and roll in aluminum foil. Place on broiler pan and bake @ 150 for 7 to 8 hrs. Turn every 2 hrs.
    This recipe comes courtesy of “fishing machine”.
    thanks mom.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.