Ring worms

• whitecap

Nice seeing all you guys at the sport show! Picked up some of the Ringworms-cant wait to try them out! I am going to try them out on the upper Miss. by Montecello- A friend of mine has a jet boat and guides up there-I think I can turn him on to these plastics- has anyone had any luck with smallmouth on these? By the way- the walleye fishing is also incredible up there- virtually no fishing pressure there.
    Brian Berle
    Whitecap Splashguards

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I pulled in many a smallie on the croix last year on them. Dont think you should have any problem.
    Good luck fishing.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

where is montecello. never heard of that. let me know its whereabouts

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

The ringworms are dynamite for smallies. I have done well in the spring, summer and fall, when they are chewin on rubber. I did really good on the K-grubs as well last fall fishing rip rap. Next time your in smallie country give um a shot!

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

were you out today dustin. how much snow did you get.

dustin_stewart
    Rochester, MN

No, didn’t have a chance to get out, even if I did get a chance I wouldn’t have gone. TO COLD and WINDY out there for this guy.

Not for sure how much it snow we got but it was more than I wanted to see

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

suppose to warm up at the end of the week from what the forecast said.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I figure the 48 degrees next weekend should melt the snow. Come on Spring! Thanks, Bill

jonn

Brian,
    The Monti to Clearwater area is great for plastics and smallies. In July and August “pop” them along quickly so that the bait is a few inches below the surface and the bass will go air-born! Even the bulkier and longer 5″ & 6″ worms by Zoom and Yum work. I use 1/16 oz. jigheads. Also, I use tubes ALOT on the river for smallies and walleyes. Shhhh…on the no fishing pressure, just kiddin’. You definetly need the right boat to fish that area, primarily a john boat fishery and a jet boat would be perfect. Jon

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

how far is monti from redwing.

jonn

Approximately 3 hours, maybe a little less.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

I flip them up on wing dams and rocks when the fish slow down on the fluttertails. Definitely most effective for me on Smallies. I’m up to Monti,(actually I stay in Clearwater), 5 or 6 times a summer on business. Is there anywhere where a guy can throw the chest waders on and have some fun, so I don’t have to pull the boat , or more importantly learn the hard way where a V bottom is too deep!!!!!!!

whitecap

Montecello and Clearwater are about an hour west on I94 from the Twin Cities. The reason there isnt much pressure is because of the shallow water in areas-you can always stay close to the landing but if your going to Run the river watch out-lots of rocks!

jonn

Lawrence,
    The high bridge at Clearwater is an okay place to start for bank fishing. I would go upstream fishing the west bank. You will run into the a spot where the Clearwater river dumps into the Miss., work this area. You can walk up-stream on the Clearwater river as well as the Miss. Smallies, cat’s, northerns and walleyes are present. Good luck and send me a PM when you are coming up this way. It’s possible we could hook up and fish that stretch out my boat. Jon

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

It’s not three hours! It may seem like that going through the cities! It is around an hour and a half at most from Red Wing. Maybe a little more…
    Tuck

jonn

An hour and a half!! Holy smoke-screen Batman!! That might be a stretch.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Not in the Bat-mobile!

chappy
    Hastings, MN

I agree with Tuck,You’d have to be 80 years old and driving in the slow lane at rush hour for it to take 3 hours! Either that or be from Wisc!!! LOL

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

We’ll just see about that!

flyingfish
    St. Cloud, MN

St. Cloud to Red Wing 127 miles and a little over 2 hours without rush hour. Monticello to Red Wing about 100 miles and a little over 1.5 hours.

mountain man
    Coon Valley, WI.

Thanks for the info Jon, I’m sure I have no clue why it matters if it is 1.5 or 3 hours or somewhere in between but anyway, thanks for the shoreline info. I’ll try to remember to send you an e-mail when I come up.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.