bluegills

• crappiedoer

how many of you use corn for gills?

herb
    6ft under

Not yet, but next time out is the plan. Any particular brand Vern? Do you chum with it?

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

I gave out hundreds of cans of whole corn to be used as bait at each of the 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th “Owatonna Annual Kids Free Fishing Contest”… that I held in here in Owatonna, MN. The corn was donated by the Owatonna Canning Co. / Festal… over the years (my thanks go here).

Corn has worked well on gills and carp for me. Corn is something easy to use and cheap…. for the kids… who would be a real “mess” using worms (ever tell you guys how much I hate worms in black worm dirt ).

There is sented and colored corn out there too…I have tried this too. Works!

Hoggie

Dave Hoggard

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

One day long ago a friend and I, we were maybe 12, spent the day on the ice in his dad’s snoboat. Ran out of bait so we used popcorn. Caught fish on it all day long.

Question: Is there any truth that kernal corn actually kills fish as they can’t digest it? I don’t remember where I read or heard that. Hopefully it is not true.

herb
    6ft under

If that were true there would be tons of dead carp floating each year down stream of all the grain terminals along the rivers.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

I have also heard that.. in reference to trout anyway.. because people use corn for trout…… I have no idea of the veracity of such a claim…. I will give John Pitlo a shout and see what he has to say about it…

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I googled it up and the only thing I found was a reference to a myth that started during the 70’s that dried corn would kill trout. Even though it was later proven untrue, it has still influenced the regs in a few western states where chumming with corn is illegal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.