makeing ice

• crappiedoer

need to ask all the smart one,s on this board
    a ???
    when the overnight temp is from 5° to 10° and the day time temp is 25° to 30° with wind 10 to 15 mph,then does anyone know how much ice it should make in 24 hrs.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

That depends on so many things that I doubt anyone is going to come forward with an answer for you. Lake size, depth, water clarity (stained water sucks up more sun), bottom content, ducks (yes, ducks), and the beat goes on.

I usually figure a week of single digit nights will put enough ice on any lake to support me – haven’t gone through yet. There’s always at least 6″ of ice when I go out though – maybe someone else who trusts less ice will chime in.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Its kinda like this,,,,

If a chicken and a half, can lay an egg and a half, in a day and a half,

How many pancakes would it take, for a spider with a wooden leg,to shingle the roof of a dog house ?

herb
    6ft under

Have another cup of coffee ec!

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Hey EC. I think I need to drink something to figure that one out. LOL
    Is that one of those tounge twisters you learned when you were young and now got it screwed up or somethng. Steve

herb
    6ft under

Crappie-doer, we had those conditions down here in S.E. Ia. the other day. I found a small timber pond that was protected from the wind, and it had about 1 1/2 inches of new ice on it. I got out on it for a ways but it started to sag under my fat ars, so to the bank I went. New ice is not always “good” ice. With the conditions you describe, I’d give it at least 2 days or more before safe ice is made. Personally, I’d want 2 1/2 to 3 inches before I feel safe.
    Be safe

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Hey Leinie and Herb, NICE PICS! It’s good to see a couple of smiling faces with fish!
    Tuck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

EC

I need some more info to anwer your question… we talking potato pancakes or just plain old bisquik pancakes. It makes a big difference.

We both need to go land a few!

richardsmith
    Owatonna Mn 55060

That almost made sense to me ? I figured it out !!! But I forgot the answer !! I need sleep.

Richard (Smitty)

Keep a tight line !!!

leinieman

None! Budweiser just don’t cut the wood. LOL It would only take one Leinies, but it would be pretty large one. Steve

leinieman

Hey Tuck,Thanks for the compliment on the photo. Anytime I catch a fish it’s time to smile. Did you notice that nice Knuckleball jig tipped with a doo? Steve

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

We had conditions like that and it just happens that I left a glass of water on the porch. froze clear to the bottom. I got the ice out in one chunk, stood on it and it held me up just fine. Guess I’ll go fishin.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I can give you some anectodal info: Thursday was the first day of the cold snap – I wasn’t around, but I think that’s right. Saturday afternoon I drove down to lake MacBride to see if anyone was fishing. It’s a 1000 acre impoundment with little or no flow during the winter. Easily 3/4 of the lake was open water still, and there were only a couple of shaded bays where people were on the ice.

Sunday I drove back down, and the whole lake surface was frozen. Where there had been a skim before, there was now about 4-5 inches of good ice. Where there was open water, it was still unsafe, but I would guess by tomorrow (Tues) the entire lake will be safe for walking.

gillsandspecks
    Hiawatha, Iowa

I got a lot of spots to check out so you lead, I’ll be along shortly, ah, with my Cam corder… & my long crappie pole {John}

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

EC!!! Is this the style of all your new polls?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

uah ?

o.m.f.t.
    Rochester Minn

In my drinking days budweiser stood for
    Because
    U
    Deserve
    What
    Every
    Individual
    Should
    Enjoy
    Regularly
    Lifes to short to fish with dead minnows! Jim

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

HICCUP!
    Treez? Wat treez?????
    Pass me another Bud…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.