spinning vs baitcaster

• shorelunch

I’ve got a $100 gander mountain gift certificate burning a hole in my pocket. I’ve only used spinning rods and most of my fishing is for panfish. Thinking about trying a baitcaster. I’ve always thought that unless you were using tough heavy line in alot of cover there was no reason for a baitcaster. But as a shorefisherman about the only way for me to catch bass is to rip heavy lures and line through the junk. Am I thinking right? I’m prepared for the learning process of using a baitcaster. I’d appreciate anyone else’s insight on which situations call for spinning and which a baitcaster.

Inge
    West Central WI

Shorelunch,
    I went thru the same decision making process over the last 2-3 years. Many of my fishing buddies, most in the same age group(40’s) had made the switch, or addition of, baitcasters to their gear. I tried a few times and ended up with messes and thought for a long time that baitcasters weren’t worth the hassle.
    Well after years of watching these guys(and others) I finally broke down, bought one(and Won another !) and spent last winter practicing with them in the shop. Advice given to me was to get a reasonable handle on roll casting, and pitching into a small circle.
    I can tell you after 1 year of using baitcasters, one of them on a 7ft rod became my goto rod by the middle of the summer.
    You can:
    – cast farer
    – drop the lure in much more quietly
    – use with numerous lures types, from surface lures like a slop frog, to deep/large jigs, to big plastics on a hooks(eg: senkos), spinner baits,… all sorts.

I used them last season with line as lite as 8lb mono; up to 20lb fluro’s. Only thing I won’t use them for is real lite weight lures(eg: finesse type fishing)

As a shore fisherman items like a slop frog, or large plastics, are likely items you use regularily. So if you already have some good spinning reels, go out and get yourself a baitcaster on a reasonable rod. Then use the remainder of the winter months to practice, practice, practice.

Best of luck to you,
    Inge

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I have my moments for both. It too took me a while to come around to using a caster but once I got the hang of them I’ve found myself reaching for them often!

I’ve found that great distance can be found from spinning outfits with longcast design spools matched with tighter circumfiranced eyelets. Great for shoreline usage.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I started with the baitcasters about two summers ago, and I can admit that there was not really any significant fishing situation that led me to do so. I was sick and tired of watching t.v. shows where all these guys were fishing with casters and thought that the novelty alone would make it a worthwhile talent to acquire.

Gear Junkie Gianni, however, has been caught sneaking out of the house on several occasions to buy new casters – I now own four of them. They are great for flingin’ bass jigs along weedlines, tossing big plugs and big catfish baits. When it comes to horsing big cats and toothy critters boatside, you don’t need to worry about the drag twisting and weakening the line. Line memory isn’t nearly as big a problem with casters as it is with spinning reels, either, so you can run cheap line without it ruining your trip.

The ultimate reason that I like them, though, is that the reel feels like a 6-ton Warn winch in your hands when you’re fishing, and you look uber-cool to all the guys who haven’t yet bothered to master it.

Situations? Definitely whenever the bait weighs more than 1/2 ounce or you’re expecting to catch a fish that tests your drag.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Uber-cool Gianni??? I have to admit, I’ve had a grin throughout reading your whole post, but uber-cool just did me in! Now I’m going to be on a quest to obtain a bevy of uber-cool equipment! Thanks alot!!!

Rock on man!………………….Rock on!………………

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.