Take a Kid fishing

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

With all this talk about the new ARM charity starting up I thought it would be a good time to start a discussion about fishing with the kids.

I am sure alot of you know this is not always the easiest thing to do, especially when you are on a serious fish hunt, but there are a lot of little things you can do that can make it a good trip for the both of you.

I always hate to see a bad fishing trip for some of those youngsters out there. I’m sure some of you have see this too.

So I will start with the first tip: Divide your “serious” fishing trips with your “family” fishing trips. I usually go out Saturday mornings to really hit the fish and Sunday I will take the kids for a less serious fishing trip. On Sundays it gives us time to explore the shore line, take a quick dip or whatever the kids want to do. I also stock my boat with activities to do. Larger toy trucks or cars, coloring books, snacks, whatever will make him happy. We usually pull up on a sand bar for the kids to play and I am still able to throw a line in and catch fish! You just can’t beat! My 5 year old loves it too.

Please feel free to post your suggestions or thoughts on fishing with kids. I’m always looking for more ideas on my fishing trips with my kids and I’m sure many others are also.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

I took my two boys to Mille Lacs for a “fishing” trip. Jeff was 12 and James was 10 at the time. I let both them take their Game Boy hand held video games. These little guys are seriously into these games and were thrilled to get to take them.

I put the fiberglass Sea Cap top on the bow of my 19 foot Alumacraft…. that makes it into a “cutty” mini cabin-cruser. I wired two 12 volt sockets and a light bulb into my front trolling motor batteries so they could have light under the Sea Cap and power for the games.

I never saw them again the whole time we were up there!

Oh, I could coax them out for a sandwich or for help in my netting a fish… but otherwise… they were snug as two bugs in a rug, inside the Sea Cap playing games! Two foot rollers and white caps… no problem-o.

Upon our arival home days later, I asked Jeff why he did not do more fishing on the trip. Jeff said that he and James had decided to play games and just let me fish… so, I did not have to tend to them and their lines… and could enjoy my fishing trip more. Tear-eyed, I hugged him up and said that I loved him for that….and what a good son he was.

That is when I realised that he was winking at James and grinning like a possum eating apricots! They both laughed and told me what a great time they had on the trip getting to play games while “fishing”…. what real fun, they said.

Well, I do not intend on shoving my profession at my kids. I want them to go with me on fishing trips, but… I want it to be fun for them too. For us, Game Boy is the answer. My kids do not get bored, they never say is it time to go home now and whine… they are too consumed with the games! I can not believe there is a game out that a kid can play with for days at a time… and not put it down being bored to death! James says PokeMon rules! Jeff loves the NFL games.

Hey…. works for me

As long as Jeff is making straight “A”s and James “A’s & B’s” I am cool with them doing Game Boy games on trips if it makes them and me all “happy campers”.

Anyway…. I have a little girl who would rather fish than play games. Tori would much rahter B-Fish-N than play a “Game Girl”.

“Hoggie”

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

A nice shore lunch that the kids can help with is a plus. For some reason they always like helping and being by the fire,or maybe it’s the smores after the dogs that they really like.
    One mistake I made was not taking them bluegill,and perch fishing.I think that they would of also like bass fishing with spinner baits. Hey Dave our two kids 24 and aoon to be 21 would still rather play those games instead of going fishing.Oh well whatever makes them happy. Steve

Don Hanson

Keeping it visual was key when my kids were younger. Watching a bobber or tossing topwater baits kept them involved.
    Don

greg-vandemark
    Wabasha Mn

I like this Topic Mike. I have been fishing with my niece’s and nephew’s for some 20 year’s..OOp’s dating myself. Any way it is a good topic. All of them started being in the boat at an early age. Micheal the youngest won his first fishing tournament at the age of three.. Thanks to the Walleye Searcher’s, for sponsoring such an event. I think for me and the time I’ve spent with the kids. Don’t get to serious. and it isn’t all about fishing.. Let them help rig the boat,make your lunch for the day,rig the rods,buy the bait,and launch the boat. Maybe even drive away from the dock. Live bait always provides cheap entertainment for the kids,just don’t let them eat too many. Mom’s will get mad. The other thing stop and point out the little things. An eagle over head, a frog on the shoreline,bittersweet hanging from a tree. Reach down and give em a hug. If they won’t hug ya don’t net there next fish. Any way Micheal is know 12 and I have to usually make him quit for the day. I hope everyone has a chance to take a kid fishing in the New Year. They will never forget it.. And that’s a FACT. The Photo is Mike at age six. Had to get his approval and get the facts straight.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Awesome post and equally cool photo there RR. Thanks for sharing it with us.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Taking kids fishing is very important. Its a great way to share your love for fishing, great time together and relaxing. My oldest grandaughter has several trophies from fishing a Walleye Searchers Fun Day Picnic and Tournament at Lake Zumbro that we use to hold every year. She always wants to fish the FTR Get Together Tournament together. My son Nate and I have fished together since he was about 2 years old and we are best friends besides Dad and Son. When I take my youngest daughter and her 3 kids out [and you thought you were old ReefRunner, lol.] we always have toys and snacks along and a stop at the shoreline for swimming goes along ways. Its a great life, share it and you will always be glad you did. Thanks, Bill

redneck
    Rosemount

Finally, something I have a strong opinion on. I started my son fishing at 18 months—I changed a few diapers on the Lund seats but he got the bug early. Do not start them with that cheap Snoopy crap either. The first few years a Zebco 33 set-up was sufficient. I found that most of the theories out there didn’t work for me. My son started the “all day” trips right off the bat—at times he napped but he was usually interested, if not in the fishing at least the scenery was interesting. By the time he was 6 he was using a spinning set-up and cried on more than one occasion when it was time to go home. I feel blessed everyday by his strong desire to fish and hunt. By next opener he will be 13 and it will be our 10th consecutive year going. For the locals, you remember how bad it rained last year—he drove me crazy till I finally took him. He is now my best fishing partner and more knowledgable than alot of adults. He pays attention to details on the water and has outfished the old man more times than I can remember. It takes a certain mind-set on the parents part—-take your child and it is different than going with the guys. No stopping at the girlie bar on the way home or drinking all day. In the long run the rewards are so very great–I have a best fishing partner for life. I have a few ideas about hunting also but that is another post.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Some of my best memories came from taking my girls out fishing. And after talking with them sometimes I believe they will remember them times too. . I’m not sure there will be more of these days now that they have grown up, so If you hace the chance to take a kid fishing do it while you can. You both will benifit from the experence

wkw

When my boys were young, I used to take them fishing and think “Why am I doing this?”. (New Rapalas hanging in the trees, snarled lines, whining, etc.) Years later, I reflect on the amount of money spent, gear bought, and lost or broken, and I wonder was it all worth it. The answer is:
    Hell Yes! When your sons rush home from high school to grab their fishing poles instead of hangin’ out downtown with their buddies. When you enter a tournament and win it, because your son successfully pre-fished while you were working,and then gives you the credit for winning, and when he dreams of someday being in the PWT and MWC and fishing for a national championship, it’s worth it! That’s why we do it guys! And that’s why our sons and daughters will teach their kids how to fish too.Hopefully they will tell their children how good a fisherman Grampa was!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great replys. Hey hawger. Do you think the grand kids where wondering how you can just fish for hours on end and not get bored? My wife has asked me that same question.
    I also agree with not haveing them fish with the cheap set ups for long. Maybe it is alright for a first pole for a very young kid, but as soon as he learns not to drop it over the side I would move him up. My boy (age 5) will be using my poles this year and will have his first decent rig this year also. I also have rod holders in my boat now that are great for keeping poles from falling out. A couple of years ago my son picked out a telescoping cane pole for that year and ended up just loveing it. 10′ of line and a jig. his choice of course and he was catching eyes.
    I think someone posted about taking the child along for the whole experince. Buy equipment, bait, ect. This is great. I also include helping hooking up the boat. His job is the chains, I double check them. He is also incharge of checking for weeds. Keeps him included in every thing thats going on.
    One thing I do make sure he does is wear his life jacket at all times. I allready had one time when he jumped out of the boat to pull it up on shore and landed in 10′ of water. I didnt even know he was planning on doing this. I was very happy to see him bob back up to the surface. Hopefully it scared some sence into him. I also had a DNR officer stop by and give him a coupon for a free icecream cone from DQ. Thought that was pretty cool. I am sure most of you keep the jackets on the kids but if any of you dont please think twice about it.They will get used to wearing it just like a seat belt in the car.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

I now do let my kids use my “good” rods. But for the first two years this was not an option (they were adopted at ages 8, 9, & 10). They did snap their first one each. So did my little brother from BB/BS…. I guess that is standard process. I did get them into a Zebco Classic 33 to start. It is the way to go for youngsters to begin with. Now my boys will not pick up the Zebco. My daughter will still though.

My oldest, Jeff mowed lawns and used his birthday money to buy a $60.00 bait caster and $40.00 rod last spring. He has a huge box filled of tackle now too. So, I think he “has it down”.

Time? I can go from before dawn to “dark:30” without thinking about it… time has no teeth when I am fishing. Mom thinks I am nuts. And I am… nuts about fishing!

“Hoggie” Hoggard

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

It’s nice to see that so many people care about the “delicate balance” required to make fishing fun for kids. Walkie talkies work great when the kids want to stay on the shore and play and Karen and I want to catch just one more fish.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

fishfan
    Holmen, WI

All. I’m new to the site but the “take a kid fishing thread caught my eye. Great subject. I would add another suggestion for all to consider. I have a 13 yr son that likes to fish but gets bored easily when the bite is slow. I bought him a 35mm camera and he asks to come along all the time now. We fish the Miss/Black River area alot so there’s always something great for him to catch on film. The wife loves this as well since he’s not always playing the video games any more. Nothing wrong with most of them but I hate to see him spending all of his time at it. All in all it has worked out GREAT!

redneck
    Rosemount

I am either doing something very wrong or very right. I don’t have any problem keeping the boy interested (he’s 12). He goes from the time we get there till I drag him off the water. I have noticed he changes lures and colors more than I do but he has found several patterns I would have missed—-and if the white bass start breaking the surface it doesn’t matter what the walleye are doing—he is going to jerk in a few bass. I have found binoculars are handy in the boat—on the St. Croix the scenery is very good at times. One day soon the boy will figure out why Dad is checking out the boats instead of paying attention to where we are going. Even old guys minds wander occasionally.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Redneck,

I’d say your just one of the lucky ones. My 14 y/o stepson has “caught the fever” but my other 3 have many other ideas rolling through there fertile minds……
    I like the binocs idea for the kids but I really get tired of other fishermen that watch others with binocs and when they see some action, they come right on over and I mean right on over……. Good fishin’………

redneck
    Rosemount

Watch other fisherman—I never thought of that. On the St. Croix there are way too many other things to look at. I hit a channel bouy last Summer as I watched a young lady lotioning up. AHHHH, remember Summer–it seems so far away after a hard day of ice fishing.

kurt-turner
    Southeast MN

Ahhhhhhhhh, young(not that age matters) ladies lotioning up……… what a beautiful thought to depart to the ice on…………

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Anouther tip for this winter. Tips ups on the ice. The kids dont have to sit and watch them and get very excited and even a small pike is a huge fish for them.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

Great thread… I think I’ll compile all this and make a list for ARM.
    Thanks for the post, Mike W.
    Dave Hoggard

ProV2
    Rochester,Mn

Here’s one that Guarantee’s action for the little people! For those of you who like to fish with minnows especially big minnows. Just take the kids down to a creek or small river that has LOTS of Chubs,Suckers,Shiners etc. in it. Put a 1/2 inch piece of crawler or worm on a small hook with the barb pinched shut and a small bobber throw it out and BANG! you have instant none stop ACTION and the kids love it!! It is a Win Win situation the kids have a blast and don’t get bored, you great minnows and you can take the kids fishing when you use the bait they caugth.
    We have even done this in the winter through the ice. Catch a bunch of big chubs throught the ice then use them on tip ups for Northerns. The kids get to catch the bait, then watch them LITE UP when they pull there 1st Northern up the hole!!!

Yaaaaaaa It’s GREAT to be a Dad!!!!!!!—and it will be great fun to be involved with ARM!—–Later—V

Winneshiek
    Ferryville Wi

I love to take kids fishing. This picture was taken on a cold October morning. It started out foggy and we had to go very slowly out to one of my best wing dams. My nephew was so cold he was lying in the bottom of the boat but did not complain. The next thing you know the shad started to break the surface. The gulls came in and the white bass started to hit every thing we threw at them. It was like the fish were jumping in the boat. My nephew is hooked and will never forget the day nor will I!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

A lot of people say take the kids fishing sunfish to get them hooked. A good school of white bass will keep them coming back for years. I could just imagine him telling his friends about the trip.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Here’s my son on some of our fishing trips this summer on the St. Croix & the Mississppi.

2Fishy4U

I started my son fishing early on; like about 3 years old. When he was 9 he caught a hugh northern in a small river close to our home. He estimated about 12 lbs and I have no idea what the fish weighted. The reason I have no idea is the kid released it because he was afraid it would die. He is 23 now, has caught many mre fish, but I have never forgotten that first fish he released.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts on fishing with our family and kids. I does bring back many good memories. When mine were young SO long ago, I always had to have some sandwiches and a few cokes in a cooler, My old bass boat had a carpeted flat floor, which made it great for sitting on and playing on. If they wanted to fish that’s great, with they wanted to play, no prob, just make sure they have sun tan lotion on. I had to run down stairs and find a (last year) picture of my daughter. Her first fish was caught a when she was 2 years old. now she is 25. Check out these Smallies on the attachment. When she comes up to MN for a visit, just about all she says IS, I just want to get back in a boat and go fishing. hey, that’s fine with me. thanks for all your good posts. Jack..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.