Fishing from shore

• shorelunch

Looking to fish anywhere near Twin Cities on either Mississippi, Minnesota or St.Croix from shore with 2 kids. We’ve had enough of catching sunnies from the pier on the city lakes. Any leads?

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

the coon rapids dam is a good bet for walleyes.. I like the west shore.. but the east shore can be very good too… its shallow but there are often a lot of smaller walleyes there… and some nice ones too….. for me I usually do best with a lindy rigged minnow hooked in the back… I just toss the rig out.. let it set a minute or so.. then pull it a few inches let it set.. and so on….. you will find a spot where they are sitting then you can really nail them (Ive had nights where I caught and released at least 50 fish, mostly right around 14″ but a fair number of larger fish, 20″+ is rare here though)… fishing low light or after dark is best… but they WILL bite during the day…. better on cloudy days….. the water is shallow and clear… less than 6′ for the most part…. the season closes on this spot the same as inland waters….

chacago
    Apple Valley MN

Try the black dog plant near Burnsville, talk to Rippin Pigs he seems to fish there alot. Try Everts on the Missisippi near Red Wing, Steve will set you straight, I have seen quite a few fish caught on the docks there. Please use caution with young children make sure they have life vests on the current is fast.

chacago
    Apple Valley MN

If you want to have real fun take your kids for a guided trip in the fall with one of the river guides. I have gone with Dustin and talk a few times with Jim, but any of the guides who provide time on FTR would be good to go with. Best web site around, keep reading, learn the techniques and good luck, and remember the life vests for the little ones. If you can’t afford the guide try Everts dock I think you would do real good there.

shorelunch

Thanks everyone. Please be more specific about Everts. What is this, Where exactly is this.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

shorelunch

Everts Resort is located a couple river miles below the Lock and Dam north of Red wing… on Pool 4. They advertise here on FTR and if you keep an eye peeled at the top of the page for their white and red banner, click on it the next time it comes up. Lots of info there.

Everts docks can be awesome when the water’s higher in the spring and early summer. We caught everything from big trout, Steve Vick landed a 25′ beast back in April, to sauger, walleye, cats, sheepies and LOTS of big smallies in the middle of the summer. Right now the water is so low everywhere on the river you can pretty much see bottom at the end of most of the docks. There’s plenty for launching and loading boats but I’d be willing to bet that fishing would be pretty poor right now. But come spring once the water comes up…. different story!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.