Fast snaps

• SNAKEYES
    Iowa

Do any of you use Fast Snaps to fasten jigs to your line? I’ve never used them, but I’m thinking about it. Just thought I would ask your oppinion. Thanks in advance and have a Happy Holidays

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I use fast snaps for a lot of things. Mostly ice fishing. Everybody that fishes outside of a shack knows how cold it can get and this saves time trying to re-tie w/ cold fingers. I have never had a failure using them either.

Good luck fishing and have a safe holiday to all.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I too use them for ice fishing but also use them for summer applications too. I have had them fail BUT, in every instance I can say that it was something I did and not the fault of the clip. I nice trick for 99 cents! I’ve also found that the South Bend brand isn’t as tough as the actual Fast Snaps.

hawger
    Owatonna, MN

I do not use them with jigs…. I use them throwing cranks in the fall at night. Cranks can pivot on the snap and have good action. These work great when it is cold and your are changing baits, while standing in water with waders on. The snap is easy to see in the headlamp when you are over 50 too! I used to have no problem in the dark when I wanted to tie on a crank… but it is getting tougher.

I have never lost a fish on one. But… I do not use them in spring and summer. They can gather weeds/moss/debris at the snap that is harder to shake off.

Dave “Hoggie” Hoggard

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Fas Snaps are a must for my ice fishing outings. With my short fat fingers , add the cold temps, = a no tie situation….These clips are a must !!

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

Like I said, I’ve never used them but I thought they would be handy and quick for changing jig colors so it’s nice to hear that they have worked O.K. for everyone. Thanks

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What brand and sizes are you guys using

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

I don’t know the exact size # but I like the bigger ones for Jigging Raps and Walleye jigs. I use the small ones for panfish jigs. I just bought a package of them @ Gander made by northland. They were in a blister pack of 10. Not too expensive. Good luck.

herb
    6ft under

I second Blue Fleck in how he uses them. The ones I use are called No-Knot Fas-Snap. I get them at cabela’s in packs of 25.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

There are 3 sizes I’m aware of and I use the light ones panfishing, mediums for covering panfish to walleyes (a little of everything in one outing), and the big ones for fishing the weedbeds and larger critters.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have used Fast-snaps when I tie my own trailer hooks to put on the back on Fireballs, when using jig/minnows, it is the only way to go when using trailer hooks, but with the success I’ve had on plastics this year, I can’t actually think when I last used a jig/minnow on the river. I would not consider using a Fast-snap to attach a jig or lure to the main line, I think it is safer to tie direct always. Jack..

herb
    6ft under

Jack, I can honestly say I haven’t lost a jig yet this year and I’ve been hung up in some pretty mean snags. Now, with that said I probably just broke my string of luck. Thanks a lot Jack. lol

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

Has anyone ever lost a heavy fish because the Fast Snap staightened out or broke?

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Not in my experience. The way these things are shaped, I think they’d have to break before they could straighten out. When mine broke, (my error!) they let go when casting a lure. See, sometimes there’s a little more gap in the snap than I care for and I tighten up the “loop” to lock the connection. My error was that I cinched to hard and crimped it. In time, all that I’ve done this to have broken at the crimp. No design fault as far as I’m concerned. I altered it and paid for it. I no longer alter them!

I’m catching a vibe of concern here………….just give’em a try and you’ll soon be as confident as were are! I just used them yesterday, changed up jigs, and never had a problem! I was using the smallest size I’ve seen. Granted, I wasn’t tangling with pike or walleyes but the point is still the same. I could change up jig after jig, catch fish after fish, and never encountered ANY reason to doubt it’s ability to keep me a happy camper!

SNAKEYES
    Iowa

This all sounds very positive to me, your right, I’ll give the snaps a try, what do I have to lose. It should make changing jigs and colors a whole lot easier, especially with cold fingers. Thanks

shorelunch

I too have used snaps alot for early season crappie fishing with jigs and snelled hooks. Never used them much for Walleye and bass fishing because I’d always been told not to for cranks and spinners, etc. Would love to because when I’m fishing with the wife and kids I’m generally tying for 4. If someone here tells me that any of these other lures will work fine with snaps I’m willing to give it a try.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I can’t think of the names off the top of my head but there’s a couple other snaps/snap designs out there that I think are better for casting things around. I’ll try and figure it out and post about them!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.