Ice Fish Finders

• larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

I have a question to ask, I am debating between zircoms color point and vexilars new one, anyone have any suggestions from experience with them? If you could tell me what you have and what kind of fishing you do with it. That would be very helpful to me, I am not decided yet and I need to act fast. Thankyou very much

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Well… I hardly have ANY experience using these gadgets in the past. During the ice fishing show, I make the plunge a got a Vex FL18. All I can say is I’ll never fish w/o one again!!! The ability to actually see fish coming up to your lure is amazing, and how you can prefect your technique to land more fish is like butter on top. Be careful however… you’ll be amazed at how many fish just look at your lure/bait, and maybe even nudge it, and then sink back down.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

The Vex was worthless to me as I am colorblind to reds/oranges and greens. I bought the zercom and have the exact same results as Rippen Pigs has had. Get the best you can afford. I love the dry cell batery. Holds charge forever, and is light weight.

TTRIGGER
    Cedar Rapids IA

I was talking to the salesman at Gander Mtn. last nigth about the difference and he said “I just bought the F8.” I said “howcome?” He said “the only thing you get with the Fl8 is a magnifier, IE If you want to look at 15 foot depth It will mag that depth and it cost you $100 bucks more”
    Im leaning twards the old unit
    Trigger

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I think you want to be clear on the models you are comparing.

The new Vexilar FL-18 ($399 retail) and the new Marcum LX-3 (Retail $399) Both top of the line units out there today. Personally, I’ll take the tried and true Vexilar for the money!

The Color Point kinda compares to the Vexilar FL8-SLT. But again, I’ll take the Vexilar due to the high failure rate reported on the Color Point when they first came out.

Vexilar is a local company here in the Twin Cities and I can get service quick and easy if needed. (Drive over and drop off/pick up)

So, you can see I’m sold on Vexilar. (I”m not sponsord by Vexilar, but hey, if they need a spokesman, send me a note! LOL)

One thing you may want to consider. A lot of us are upgrading from the FL-8, or FL8-SLT to the FL-18. There are some good deals out there for used units. Check the pawn shops if there are any around you.

Jon J.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I noticed in the electronics section of the classifieds that there were several want ads for flashers. Lots of demand right now apparently. If you spot a good deal on one you’d better snap it up fast as it won’t last long.

riveratt
    Central Wisconsin US-of-A

Speaking from a ton of experience here…I had bought a Zercom Clearwater Classic way back when.I will replace it the moment something better comes along.I fished an entire year with a Vexilar FL8-slt.It worked well in a lot of areas,but something that about drove me nuts was the constant buzzing they make.My Zercom is alll LED!I do like the color of the Vex,but they don’t have fine enough line seperation needed for shallow water operation.Plus,the VEx sucks battery power down like Martha Stewart sucks martinis!The non moving parts in the Zercom don’t draw much power.I havent mentioned the Color Point on purpose,it was too prone to failure.MarCum has now bought the technology back and refined it,making it (hopefully) the machine to replace my Zercom.If I were you i’d be watching for a used Clearwater Classic”Once you learn the nuances of it,non are more accurate!But,to fulfill your request now,if buying new is a must,get the VExilar FL*-SLT.Don’t waste the money on the FL18.Good Luck!

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

thankx guys i have used a clear water classic before and they are ok, but not what i am looking for , i think the vexilar fl8 st might be ringing my bell now with those responses, i would be willing to put up with that buzzing noise, that doesn’t bother me, if it means better production, i am still up for any new info though so please inform me, this is like Ice fish finders 101

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

if your ears buzz like mine.. you wont even notice an FL8…. Ive been using one for years…. in fact the one I have says micronar… the brand they were BEFORE they were vexilar…. I cant imagine wanting anything different.. but then with all those years experience I know it very very well……
    but then… I hardly EVER ice fish these days… I should probably just sell all my ice tackle!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Both Vexilar and Zercom make (made in Zercom’s case) great units and the descision on which one to buy comes down to personal preference. My preference weighed heavily towards the clearwater. I’m one of those weird guys that took a look at the vexilar screen and went “you’re kidding, right?!” Just wasn’t for me and I bought the zercom… and fell in love with it. Incredible seperation and detail. But I stopped ice fishing with it once the open water winter bite on the river put me in a full nelson and now refuses to let go. Either way, they’re both great units. If I had it to do over again, I’d buy the clearwater classic in a second but I’ve met very few guys that had anything other than great things about either unit.

Rivereyes… I DID put some of my ice gear in the classifieds and my flasher is in there as you read this. Haven’t used it in 4 years and it needs a good home.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

James…
    I hear ya….. today was a perfect example of why I DONT ice fish much anymore? why bother? common…. you just cant equal this kind of fishing!…..

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have been thinking about trading in my FL8 for an upgrade and have been checking the web for comparisons. Lots of talk out there. I have heard good arguments on both the FL18 and the Marcon. Sounds like the marcon might have some better features. But the durabilty of the unit is yet to be proven. Heard talk about the first FL18 out needing up grades from the factory. Heard they both work great.
    I have had a FL 8 for 4 years now and wouldn’t go fishing with out it. I even us it in my boat. Shoot it throught the hull.
    I might wait until later in the winter or next year to upgrade. Seems to be alot of debate on the subject right now. A few months of time on the Ice might clear things up. Or maybe not.
    My advice is to pick up a used FL8. Lots of used ones for sale right now. They seem to be pretty indistructable. Then wait and see what the new models are going to do. I would hate to dump $400.00 in to a unit and have picked up the wrong one.

paxtonrasm
    Woodville, WI

Used the Marcum a couple times this year so far……. I absolutely love it. The adjustable zoom is a great feature, and you don’t have to learn how to read “the flicker”, and the target seperation with the thinner lines is much nicer. Whatever—— they both make great units but I can tell you that the Marcum is awesome——————————————-Pax

paxtonrasm
    Woodville, WI

Rivereyes and James seem to have a bad attitude about ice fishing. REMEMBER —- put your beer in your bibs a couple minutes before you want to drink it.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Pax-

Were you fishing shallow with the Marcum? I looked at the unit… but thought that she had waaaaaay to much power for fishing 10ft or less. Just curious as to your thoughts.

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

i have found excellent results with the vexilar. i dont think the new one would benefit you any better than the old one. i used my old one in 5.5 to 6 ft of water at bussey and it worked fine. when i say old one i dont mean the original vexilar i mean the next step up. you will find that they are 289.00 at fin and feather which usually runs around 315.00 with tax. ive had one for 12 years and really like the color which is brigther than the origianl one. hope this helps.

Gianni
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I used the humminbird LCR off the boat for a year or two, but the update rate is so painfully slow that I couldn’t put up with it. I started looking for a flasher and picked up an ancient (1960’s era) brick that I figured I could play with and make useable. I used it all last year, but it definitely had a problem. I could always get the bottom, but fish weren’t showing up. The problem was an undervoltage condition and I picked up a decent rechargable gel-cell battery (the dry cells would only last a few hours before the signal started to weaken).

There still seems to be a problem with it, though, as I don’t get anything, even the bottom, until I turn the gain almost all the way up. I traced the circuit out and it’s pretty basic – a gain loop that amplifies the transducer output and a comparator. A few hours with it on the lab bench and I expect it will be back to 100%. For now, I can see fish down to about 12′ and my jig down to about 4 or 5.

All that being said, pretty much any fish finder will tell you what you’re looking for – that there’s fish or structure down there. My sister-in-law’s husband claims that the FL-8 allows him to set the hook before he can feel the fish, but I’m not sure that I have the patience or the desire to muck with the settings and what-not to get to that level of sonar-only fishing.

rivereyes
    Osceola, Wisconsin

geeeez Gianni…. your at the stoneage level of Ice fishing!…. I remember I started out using an old green box… you could see fish… just not your bait…. when I moved up to the vex… what a difference…

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

If you are looking for a used unit, You’d just about have to go with the Vexilar, not the older FL-8, but the newer FL8-SLT, I have had mine now for about 6 years, verysensitive and accurate. You can see an ice ant with a small waxie at any depth you can get it to. I’m totally happy with it. good luck. Jack..

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Vexilar gets my vote , its half the fun of ice fishin.Just watchin is almost as fun as catchin.Some days you can watch the gills rise from the bottom to hit your jig on the fall. It is true that you can catch the fish before you can feel them or detect the bite. Now all I need is a shelter and I would be all set. LOL

paxtonrasm
    Woodville, WI

Using it in anywhere from 6 -22 ft.

pfluggy
    ROSEMOUNT, MN

i have a clearwater old one ….ok ihave 2 . ther are in my boat and are used for icefishin. they are quite,last for ever on drycells,easy to read in sun ,can pick up jig 1″ off bott,when you move jig you see it move on screan as you move it.and i have had no trouble with it , frist one i got was when they frist came out.it hasno color you see your jig you see the fish you get fish to bite,and you will be eatin good tonite.you like to play with color take your kids games out with you.K I S S ….KEEP IT SIMPLE STUIPED that is what i try to do.hope that helps ya out some.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.