Guttenburg

• stevem
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Anybody have any info on the water / fishing conditions at Guttenburg?

Thanks

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Mr. Mark, from what I’m hearing it’s up and weeds and maybe some deadheads. If you go let us know what’s happening. I’m hoping to get there myself before the month is over.

Bill

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

what’s deadheads??

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

They are logs and stumps floating beneath the surface of the water that many times you can’t see. You don’t want to hit them with your boat or lower unit especially at high speed.

stevem
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

I talked to a couple guys who said the same thing – high with a lot of debris. So, I decided to sit in a tree this weekend instead. I’m going to try for next weekend – I’ll post if I do any good!

Steve

VikeFan

I don’t fish the Guttenberg area, but I have usually had poor luck walleye fishing the Mississippi in the fall during high water conditions. I am just going to wait and hope the river falls in the next couple weeks.

twgohawks
    Iowa City

Went up on Sunday and fished the rocks and wall areas early with no luck, too much grass. Tried a few other spots downstream and found some sauger and a load of big white bass. The sauger were 11 to 15″ and bit paddletails but the white bass(14 to 17″) would hit about anything. Gold one-eyes worked best with a fish on about every cast!
    Also, I did talk to a few guys who were catching nice ‘gills all day.
    Good luck when ya go up.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

yo, anybody know how the grass situation is. going up early sat morning so i guess i’ll find out soon enough. gotta get my buddy a few walleyes/saugers or he is going to kill me and then key my truck he said.

FW

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

So, Andy how’d you do?

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

good. i got a 24″, 22″ and a 20″. caught quite a few short walleyes and a few 17-19″. caught a lot of saugers too but no real big ones. we went down to twgohawks’ spot for whities and got into white bass, walleyes, and saugers there as well. has been about the same as far as grass goes. it’s got to get better.

fw

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Thanks for the picture and report. Looks like something’s sneak’n up on you in the water to your left.

Bill

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.