Grumble……..Grumble….

• mahumba
    Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada

Hi all,

It is now snowing and partial freeze up here in Thunder Bay Ontario, Canada. I’m going through withdrawl…

I usually ice fish for walleye and pike. Does anyone have any sure fire perch methods through the ice?

Puhlease share ’em!

Roger Mayer.

woolybugger1
    W Wisconsin

Forget the perch man, go grouse hunting! You can get em by throwing rocks at em up der eh.

MrWillowcat
    Nelson Wisconsin

hey.. my favorite way to fish perch is with a jigging spoon,,, about 2 inches long with with a trouble hook on the bottom,,,, and a head of a minnow,,,those perch will inhale the whole spoon,,,, its hard to beat a fish fry with perch,,,,,

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I second Willowcat. My best, go to perch lure, swedish pimple with the chartrues sticker. I can’t remember the size number, but it’s the second from the smallest. Good luck!!

brian
    Southern MN

Ivan’s jigging spoons in the smaller 2 sizes (take off the treble hooks from the factory and replace with some quality RED trebles of the same size) Whether or not to tip with a minnow head is up to you. I’ve got ’em to bite with or without bait. Speaking of bait….waxworms, eurolarva, spikes, bugs, whatever you want to call them will get them to bite when their fussy as well. Tip 1, 2, up to as many as you can get on the hook…sometimes they hit one, somedays two, sometimes 6. Also jigs like the Genz worm, pounder, fatboy, or custom jigs & spins demons. I like green, orange, and puple for jig colors with glow. Something that is somewhat new is using the chubby darter in the smaller perch pattern version and putting a dropper 3-4″ below the darter with a small jig with minnow head or wax worm. It also intrigues the walleyes. If nothing else works down-size your walleye presentation and fish for both. Good luck.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Muhumba, I wrote an article last winter about jigging down you may want to pull out of the archives. It is a sure fire technique a bunch of us use to get perch and crappies to hit in winter.
    Good luck, let us know how you do!
    Tuck

MrWillowcat
    Nelson Wisconsin

MY automatic for perch however is the ole rocker tipped with 2 spikes or waxies…. The only problem with this presention is that the little ones tend to bite the waxies and spikes,…

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Here’s my favorite way, go to the grocery store and pick up a small piece of salt pork. Take and fillet off the rind being carefull to leave a little bit of the fat or meat still attached to the rind. Now you have a piece about 3/8 of an inch thick 2 inches wide and however long your piece of salt pork was. Cut this into strips however long and wide you like. The thinner ones move nice on the hook but you can cut about a years worth of bait for a buck. It is very tough and the fish will not get it off the hook and you don’t have to get your hands wet. Make larger pieces for walleye. Once you get all ready you’ll just have to find a lake with a large population of perch. How far are you from Whitefish Lake? Steve

mahumba

Thanks Guys!

Actually I’m only twenty minutes from Whitefish Lake!
    Ever fish it?

Roger Mayer

leinieman
    Chippewa Valley (Dunnville Bottoms)

Nope never have fished it but I have friends that have been fishing it for about a zillion years. I guess you can catch enough Perch in there for a fish fry. LOL You ever here of a place called Dirty Johns or something like that. Anyway I guess the lakes not very deep and gets very weedy in the summer and it is very good for walleye’s also. Check out that salt pork trick when your out on the perch. Maybe a person will have to come up your way with the otter and try out that lake. My one buddy usually hits it after Christmas.The last couple of years I don’t think the ice has been real good though. Lots of slush and water on the ice. Whats the limits like up there now. Steve

flick
    Alma WI

My best presentation for perch through the ice is “rockers” tipped with either a mousey, spike or waxie!! you also gotta have a light actions rod with a spring bobber!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I like to use the rockers too….

But…

I can’t seem to find the ones where the back has an actual break/bend crease mark on it. The ones i’m finding now are just rounded on the back/silver side..ANYONE ELSE SEEING THIS ?

mahumba

Thanks again all!

I just came back from Whitefish Lake. A good solid six inches of black ice and little snow made the walk out easy. I got out there late so I tried for walleye. Best first ice trip I ever had on this lake. All walleye (28) were between 16 and 22 inches long. I had a hard time finding threee walleye under 18 inches. (only allowed one over 18 inches).

T’was a great night.

Roger Mayer.

MrWillowcat
    Nelson Wisconsin

yea i have been finding this in rockers also,,, u have to go to sheel’s they have the good ones still,,, atleast last yr they did,,,

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

the rockers that i have still been gettin are still the good ones. it is just hard to find though but some local places around here still have them

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Well if you guys are ever up in my area let me know before you come …I might need a couple of them ..If its no problem……

larsonlawyers
    Nelson Wi

yeah, you know norm sedlmayr by chance?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.