sturgeons

• CreekKid
    SE MN

Most times when I can’t find a fishing buddy (whcich is a lot of the time) I’ll fish crawlers on the bottom looking for cats. Tonight was the 1st time I’ve seen a sturgeon on the end of a fishing line. Three of us went out to enjoy the evening and my nephew hooks not one, but three sturgeons. We landed only 2 of them. It was possible that it was the same one. We were both fishing crawlers. I’ve seen dead sturgeons but have never hooked one. In a spot that I do a lot of bottom-fishing, I thought it was a rare incident. I know they are caught often but are several ususally caught in the same spot like that? Just wondering what other people consider to be the norm with sturgeons. By the way, they were awesome to see up close and personal! They’re so prehistoric.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hey Creek Kid!

They are a blast aren’t they!

They like most fish have a seasonal cycle. I’m on the St Croix River and in the spring it’s not uncommon to catch 2.3.4 in the same spot/area. Same with fall.

They love a “gob” of worms or even 4 or 5 fatheads on a hook.

I believe the season open soon and lasts until Oct. 4? but I would have to check the laws again. In MN you can only keep one (I wouldn’t know what to do with it) and it must be over 50 inches….a lot of sturgeon!

PS check out the St Croix River forum…Chomancharo15 has some good pictures.

tony_apisa
    E. Moline Illinois along the Rock River

Smoke them. They’re great.

2Fishy4U

Years ago when I used to commercial fish we caught a lot of rock sturgeon on set lines, but only at night. Some days we would have more sturgeon then catfish, so I am not suprised you caught more then one.

Lately, however, if appears people are starting to catch the larger lake sturgeon. For example my son caught a 48 incher last year, which he photographed and released.

CreekKid
    SE MN

They are some really unique fish. I thought it was weird how tough and armor-like their skin was but their mouth looked so fragile. The third one that was caught ate the hook pretty good so I cut the line at the the hook. I’ve never been a big fan of that tactic but it seemed like the best alternative. They sure do bend the rod though!

VikeFan

Were they lake sturgeon, or shovelnose sturgeon? Lake sturgeon are fully protected in the Mississippi, and may not be kept regardless of size, or time of year. On shovelnose sturgeon, which are far smaller and more common, there is a limit of ten in the Mississippi.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.