Help catching gar fish!!!!

• bassless

Does anyone have a good bait for catching gar? I was on a school but couldn’t get them to bite, Any Ideas?

demoncleaner
    East Troy, WI

My brother…who loves gar….freelines a dead 5-6″ baitfish back with the current with a couple of small trebles impaled quick-strike rig like in the fish, it’s usually pretty tough to hook em, but he got three the other day up into the mid 40″ range, we have taken them into the mid 50’s. I think they look pretty cool.

Jason.

kris_brantner
    My river

ive heard a tale that people take old pieces of rope the frayed the better (no idea how they attach it to your like) and when the gar hit it their teeth get stuck in the frayed parts and you can catch them like that

mile832
    MN

I have an In-Fisherman Video that shows how to catch alligator gar. They run a wire leader through the back of a goldfish/shad etc. (like you would a hook), then crimp the wire ends to make a slip loop. When the gar takes the bait, his top jaw is in the loop, then you set the “hook” and the lasoo tightens around the fishes top jaw. They cant get out as long as the line is tight. I’ve never tried it but it looks like it would work well.

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

about 6″ of yellow polly rope…doesnt need to be fray’d…but if they wouldn’t even swipe at a lure…they won’t hit this either.

Best bet is bow and arrow.

Why would you wanna catch these nasty things anyway?

Bob Bowman
    MN

Do gars taste anything like a muskie or is it more like a blad eagle, the other white meat

heitda
    Eau Claire, WI

Two weeks ago I managed to catch a longnose gar on a jig head with a plastic trailer. The hook was in the tip of the snout. We had a hard time believing I was able to hook the thing. Normally they just ignore my baits.

Similar in disbelief to the time I brought a snapping turtle to the boat after it hit a buzzbait. At least when the turtle got to the boat he hissed and giving it some slack the bait dropped out of his mouth.

bassless

I think it was the challenge of trying everything in your 4 tackleboxes to get something they will take, we did catch a few but not like I wanted to!!!
    P.S I don’t eat anything out of the river, Thanks for your imput!!!

fishahollik
    South Range, WI

Quote:

P.S I don’t eat anything out of the river

Why not? Do you drink, smoke, breath? Hazards are everywhere.

robby
    Quad Cities

If you really want to catch a gar, all you have to do is go out and really try to catch another specific species. Say bass for example. If you want to catch more than one, add some pressure, say fishing a tournament. You are then sure to catch a gar. Such is true for deer also, all you have to do is go pheasant hunting. You may not get many pheasants, but will surely have opportunities at deer.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Sounds like my experience too Robby…thanks for the

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The rope method works for gar along with the lasso…

But the best method in MY OPINION is using a small silver floating rap, removing the trebles…then taking a white piece of the “loop” side of velcro attached to the back treble loop on the rap. This is done with mono through the velcro and into the treble loop… Normally the velcro needs to be cut down a bit to “swim” behind the lure. Some experamenting needs to be done.

Most of the time when you do boat a gar…the hook is just clamped in there mouth…if they were smart enough to open up…they would be off.

Dumb fish…but very strong for the size…much more bony than muskie…less meat and feathers than bald eagle.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.