Retrieving your rod

• fishnut

Yesterday was one of those days where everything seems to go wrong. Forgot my rainsuit top and gore tex shoes at the house. After waiting for the first round of sleet and rain, I decided to go for it anyway. Fishing (Catching) was not the greatest and an 1 1/2 into the day I’m idling over a closing dam and under a tree and WHOOSH out go my rods. I jumped up and caught them with my arm and 1 or 2 of them are gone! I semmer down and get the camera out and start looking but with the flow so high, the camera is 30′ down stream. 2nd idea, I’ll take my lure retriever and scrap the bottom and see if I can hook em. To much current. 3rd idea, 1 1/4 oz. caroling weight tied to a big treble and drag the bottom. You know that branches feel a hell of alot like a reel! Well 1 1/2 hours later, I bow to my knees, lift my head and arms to the sky and say “Go% D+$* I#, what the f^!@!!!” Went home and pissed and mouned to my wife and got limited sympathy from her. Told myself to get over it, but woke up at 4:00 a.m. and thought their must be a way. Now here’s where you guys come in. What experiences have you guys had with retrieving rods and reels and what have your success rates been? Any ideas on gimmicks or Red Green ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for the help. I’ll let you know if I get if back. Fishnut

nick_harrison
    Garrison, IA

I had a similar experience, but I can’t be much help as I didn’t get mine back. Mine was pulled out the back of the boat by what I’m assuming was a carp. blink. splash. gone

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

I have a pet snipe that I trained to retrieve rods and cranks. I can rent him to you for an afternoon.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I once lost a cat rod and found it again the next year in the same spot. The abu garcia 6500c took a little cleaning and works like a champ to this day.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.