Fishing North of Coon Rapids Dam?

• JCAM
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Hi am trying my luck fishing North of the Coon Rapids Dam. From the Dam, North to the Anoka 169 bridge. Has anyone one of you guys fished it? I live very close by to the Dam. Also I plan on fishing Pool 2 as soon as I can find the boat launch. Some word of encouragement would help. Yes i’am a newbe to the river life. As hope to see the St Croix one of these days.

Thanks Guys

Randy

JCAM-Both great stretches of water. Don’t know if you’re focusing more on walleyes or smallies. The stretch above the Coon River dam is better suited for smallies. You can put in just south of Anoka on the west side of the river just off of 169. There’s a park there and you’ll have to pay a couple of bucks to put in. The water directly in front of the landing is good as is the other side near the mouth of the Rum River. Pull crawdad colored cranks (#5’s or floating stick baits work well) in 4-10 ft. of water. Smallie action is good with some big ones present. You may catch an occassional walleye too.

The stretch of water you mentioned in pool 2 can be accessed in St. Paul at Hidden Falls park. It’s located just south of the Ford Plant. It’s a free landing and is one of the best stretches of walleye water around. It’s 100% catch and release. Pull firetiger crankbaits (#5’s or 7’s) along the shoreline and hang on. The bite is very strong right now. Focus on 4-10 ft. again. Plastics work great up on the shorelines at lowlight hours. Throw a 1/8 oz. jig with a 4 inch plastic worm and hang on. That technique slows during the day but is deadly in 1-5 ft. of water in the a.m. and evening.

You are on the right track with those two stretches of the river.

Good luck.

bt-eye
    Apple Valley, Mn (Pool 2)

Ditto! on Randy’s statement.
    I was out in that area yesterday and did very well. If you have a real rigged with fireline (I use 8#) use it. The area has some rock snaggs that seem to like the Shad Raps and the Fireline seems to cut the losses quite a bit. I fished from the ramp downstream about 1/2 mile. Stay on the ramp side of the river and you should do fine. I was new to the river this spring and the guys that post here have helped me a great deal with location and technique.
    Good Luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.