37 lb Flathead in Pool 2

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

On Sat while trolling near the confluence I hooked into a big cat. It was one of those wierd ‘the snag moved’ scenerios. The fished dragged me from one side to the other. On 10 lb test the fight took so long I finally decided to lift him or break off. I can’t believe I was able to lift him. The force I put on the line was unreal. Anyways after about 15-20 minutes my bro-law netted it and a real nice fisherman close by offered his digital scale. I got a picture taken with it in the net but not a very good one. I should have grabbed it but not having ever caught one before I wasn’t interested in putting my hands on him or in his mouth. I’ll try and post the picture once I have it loaded in my PC. 2 decent walleyes were caught after that.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Here’s the shot.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

You big chicken!!! It’s just a little pussy cat.

Nice fish, I’m sure it was quite the battle on light gear.

elonm
    Minnesota

Suzuki,

I think I saw you fighting that fish! I if you were the boat surrounded by 2 others with a nice yacht parked upstream watching, then we saw ya.

Nice fish. I bet you had a ball fighting her.

David

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Nice catfish. Im still amazed every time I catch one on a crank bait.

Was the cat and 2 eyes all that you guys found or is the trolling bit still going pretty good. I need to get back down to pool 2 this week.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That was me. It was a pretty dramatic scene with the fish dragging me around and me chasing it with the kicker in reverse. The one fishing boat offered the scale, the other asked to take picture and the yacht applaued. It was wierd but neat. Everyone around was very nice.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I think the trolling bite could be decent. I never went back to active fish. My bro-law was visiting from out of town so we were boating as much as fishing. I thing we could have gotten some numbers had we tried.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

maybe a stupid question, but I would rather ask than regret it by experience……….

On a 30+ pound cat, if you did stick your thumb or hand in the mouth, could it clamp down enough to make it hurt??? I remember as a kid, bullheads would clamp down on your thumb when you pulled the hook out (not that it hurt, but they would be able to hang on)……….that was a pound bullhead…………so, what can a 30lb cat do????

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question……….but dang, that is a big mouth!!!

beno
    St. Paul

That looks like a lot of fun! Those flatheads are amazing predators. Nice fish.

TroyR
    Silver Lake MN

If it is a stupid question, then I am in the same camp. I have been wondering that since I joined this site. Still I can garuntee that it won’t hurt as bad as one of those muskies off of the back Header’s boat.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Gary, I use a buckskin glove…and get a lot of crap about it. There is a line of sandpaper like teeth in there lower jaw that your finger just naturally go around. If you land alot of Flatheads your hand will get scraped up..
    If you go to the GTG, take a look at the catfishers hands..you’ll know who’s getting ’em and who uses a glove!

Channels are another story on the other hand. I know there’s way way to lip them..but haven’t had a chance to do it yet.

Suzuki? Why did you ruin your post by adding the walleye comment?

Personally…I get more of a kick out of watching someone else hook into one of those hogs. When I take out the family, I don’t land any..I have tears in my eyes watching the two girls bring em in!

Ps…you must tie your knots very well!

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

The reel was a Diawa line counter 27LC. The drag worked flawlessly.

dirk_w.
    Minnesota

There was some discussion on catfish gloves on the cat board a week or so ago. A flathead has teeth like a hacksaw blade and you will definatley get chewed up if you don’t hold em correctly. I got tired of getting my hand “sandpapered” and use a glove now much of the time.

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

In a word, Yes. They can put some pressure on your thumb. It’s not like a Vice Grips but you definitely notice when they bite down on you. And they leave plenty of scratch marks on your thumbnail too. But all I can say to anyone scared to lip a cat is “Toughen up there pusscakes”.LOL

Gator Hunter

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Oh, not afraid…….plenty tough……..just educating……..

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Isn’t it Blue cats that can be hard on the hands??

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

When I get bigger cats-you can usually reach inside their gill and there is a firm bone thing in there. It makes a good handle to lift them up.

I only catch cats by accident, am I hurting them by lifting them up like this????

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

I have handled quite a few big flatheads in the past, and put my bare hand in it’s mouth to hold them for pics and never has a fish clamped down. I do not think there is a prob when handling fish out of water. I would not hand land a big fish that is still in the water, it could hold on to and start rolling. all kinds of bad things could happen then. Jack.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I’ve seen guys “noodling” on TV and they get the cr*p beat out of them pretty good. I’ve seen bloody hands and arms a few times.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.